Well.. this thread got derailed pretty hard. I guess I played a minor role in that by asking about Telegram

I guess there are many different priorities and wishes regarding a tool you supposedly use very often. While it does sound very positive that Telegram has such a large feature set, I am 1) unable to try it out as no one I know has it (thus kind of defeats the point of trying it, yes that is a sheep thing to say), 2) not sure what to think of their encryption protocol as a layman and 3) like WhatsApp, the question remains: what about the metadata?

My tools are currently BBM Protected and WhatsApp. The first is a happy choice, the latter isn't really a choice. However, I do get the feeling that Signal is starting to gain some ground among some of my friends. Will have to try that out once I switch to the KEYone...

And about that rumoured end date of BBM on BlackBerry 10? By that time, the iOS and Android versions will probably rather different anyway. I am a bit worried about BBM Protected / BBM Enterprise though, as I don't think the BBM Enterprise app has BlackBerry Hub integration.... which has been an issue since Emtek took the reins over regular BBM!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-17 03:26 AM
    Well.. this thread got derailed pretty hard. I guess I played a minor role in that by asking about Telegram

I guess there are many different priorities and wishes regarding a tool you supposedly use very often. While it does sound very positive that Telegram has such a large feature set, I am 1) unable to try it out as no one I know has it (thus kind of defeats the point of trying it, yes that is a sheep thing to say), 2) not sure what to think of their encryption protocol as a layman and 3) like WhatsApp, the question remains: what about the metadata?

My tools are currently BBM Protected and WhatsApp. The first is a happy choice, the latter isn't really a choice. However, I do get the feeling that Signal is starting to gain some ground among some of my friends. Will have to try that out once I switch to the KEYone...

And about that rumoured end date of BBM on BlackBerry 10? By that time, the iOS and Android versions will probably rather different anyway. I am a bit worried about BBM Protected / BBM Enterprise though, as I don't think the BBM Enterprise app has BlackBerry Hub integration.... which has been an issue since Emtek took the reins over regular BBM!

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry still manages BBM Enterprise, not EMTEK. So it not having Hub integration is BlackBerry's fault.
    04-24-17 06:09 AM
    BlackBerry still manages BBM Enterprise, not EMTEK. So it not having Hub integration is BlackBerry's fault.
    I know that, completely BlackBerry's fault. But before Emtek got regular BBM, BBM Protected on Android had BlackBerry Hub integration.. only after the deal with Emtek did they remove BlackBerry Hub integration.. That's why I referred to Emtek

Posted via CB10
    04-24-17 07:33 AM
    I know that, completely BlackBerry's fault. But before Emtek got regular BBM, BBM Protected on Android had BlackBerry Hub integration.. only after the deal with Emtek did they remove BlackBerry Hub integration.. That's why I referred to Emtek

Posted via CB10
    Gotcha
    04-24-17 07:56 AM
    ....But there's no reason to take BB's "we're still committed to BB10" as anything more than marketing spin, because that's all it is.
    I think Blackberry's "we're still committed to BB10" is just a little bit more than marketing spin. It tells me they are unlikely to suddenly stop support for any critical services without at least 6-12 months' notice. I could be wrong about that, of course, but as a still happy BB10 user, I take it as a signal the current core services (syncing of email, contacts, tasks and calendar, OneDrive, Box DropBox, Maps, BBM, etc.) will likely not be discontinued without 6-12 months advance notice.

That's not a lot of future security, but it's better than nothing. Of course I could be wrong and they turn off all the lights tomorrow, but I read, "fully committed" as "maintaining for the foreseeable future" (meaning approximately one year), and I am satisfied with that.
    04-24-17 10:08 AM
    I think Blackberry's "we're still committed to BB10" is just a little bit more than marketing spin. It tells me they are unlikely to suddenly stop support for any critical services without at least 6-12 months' notice. I could be wrong about that, of course, but as a still happy BB10 user, I take it as a signal the current core services (syncing of email, contacts, tasks and calendar, OneDrive, Box DropBox, Maps, BBM, etc.) will likely not be discontinued without 6-12 months advance notice.

That's not a lot of future security, but it's better than nothing. Of course I could be wrong and they turn off all the lights tomorrow, but I read, "fully committed" as "maintaining for the foreseeable future" (meaning approximately one year), and I am satisfied with that.
    I doubt BlackBerry is going to say anything about BB10 again..... as far as I know BBOS7 isn't EOL yet, but they don't talk about it or the about when some apps stops working.

I would not count on BlackBerry warning the few users sticking with BB10 about OneDrive (any 3rd party solution) using some new security protocol that BB10 doesn't support or about an end to paying mapping licensing fees (or any 3rd party service that they license Travel, Assistant...) that would result in that service going down. But BBM, is something that "they" control.... agree I can't see them pulling that without some sort of advance warning. But I do think that when most your hardware is two years old.... that's sorta an announcement too.
    04-24-17 10:48 AM
    I doubt BlackBerry is going to say anything about BB10 again..... as far as I know BBOS7 isn't EOL yet, but they don't talk about it or the about when some apps stops working.

I would not count on BlackBerry warning the few users sticking with BB10 about OneDrive (any 3rd party solution) using some new security protocol that BB10 doesn't support or about an end to paying mapping licensing fees (or any 3rd party service that they license Travel, Assistant...) that would result in that service going down. But BBM, is something that "they" control.... agree I can't see them pulling that without some sort of advance warning. But I do think that when most your hardware is two years old.... that's sorta an announcement too.
    I'm ok with the ambiguity, and I recognize that they probably don't know themselves what the timing is at this point, as they will make decisions based in part on the pace at which their several million users transition away from their legacy platforms.

I take some comfort in the fact that they only recently sold the last of their BB10 phones directly, and that the industry standard is typically about two years of support. Depending on how much I like the KEYone experience, it might not matter much, but if I decide Android and I aren't ready for each other, I may well consider waiting until they shut the lights out on BB10.
    04-24-17 12:39 PM

This is the problem with Crackberry more and more. People will chime in with their opinions without doing even a simple Google search. And others will blindly accept that and go forward as if it is fact, again with our any effort at fact checking.

BBOS 7 was EOL in 2014. https://ca.blackberry.com/support/bu...ort-life-cycle

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    04-24-17 01:16 PM
    This is the problem with Crackberry more and more. People will chime in with their opinions without doing even a simple Google search. And others will blindly accept that and go forward as if it is fact, again with our any effort at fact checking.

BBOS 7 was EOL in 2014. https://ca.blackberry.com/support/bu...ort-life-cycle

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Dunt Dunt said as far as they know, not 100% accurate.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    04-24-17 07:28 PM
    I wonder if the latest BBM announcement is what is referred to in the source article or whether we can expect further changes in 6 months time (inline with the rumoured date), you'd imagine BlackBerry would be keen to wrap up BlackBerry 10 support as soon as possible after the final clients of interest discontinue use.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 07:10 PM
    Emtek have the licencing to handle the 'improvements' (read: monetising) BBM, but based on the recent,(late and apologetic), insider BlackBerry Blog announcement- the action to split BBM divisions comes entirely from Blackberry!! It would not surprise me if the migration restriction will also come with dropping ANY cross-platform communication.
    I have been searching for native BB10 cross-platform I'M software, and the only alternatives are Android ports, as all the other programs are still in BBWorld: but no longer functioning.

I started a petition on Change . Org. At least so I could keep BBM logins on BB10 if we choose, instead of the current forced migration to Android/IOS.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 08:42 PM
    What group? I would like to join, using Telegram already for a few years.
    09-04-17 08:24 AM
    What group? I would like to join, using Telegram already for a few years.
    /rehab-off-topic-lounge-f36/cb-telegram-supergroup-come-join-1106748/

Check it out here. We have 91 members right now.
    09-04-17 08:35 AM
    I only have 1 BBM active contact and he has Passport on 10.3.2, I run 10.3.2 on Q10. I can't call or video call him anymore (icons are not green). Did they kill that too?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-17 10:27 AM
114 ... 345