I'm sure there are many of you Canadians who do business in the US regularly. I am seeking your advice...

I didn't worry so much with my old 9900 because I rarely used more data than than was allowed on the roaming package I would purchase before traveling to the US if I was careful and tried to keep most of my data use to places I could access wifi. Now with my Q10, I may need to be more careful. What are some of the tricks you more seasoned travelers use to cut down on roaming charges?
    06-21-13 07:37 PM
    Unlock your device, and buy a pre paid Sim in the US

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 07:52 PM
    You can turn off roaming data.
    Other than that I can recommend a data usage monitor.
    Turn email sync to manual.
    06-21-13 08:35 PM
    Not to plug a specific vendor, but check out Roam Mobility. $20 SIM, activation lasts for a year of non use, and plans start abt $4/day for unlimited voice/text anywhere in North America with 100mb data. They have daily, weekly and monthly plans too. Their sweet spot seems to be for the short trip traveller's, abt a week or less per month.
    00stryder likes this.
    06-21-13 08:37 PM
    I do travel to the US and other international destinations often and this is what I do with my zed.

1. Turn off location services
    2. Change personal email to manual sync and turn off push
    3. Turn off notification and sync messages for twitter, Facebook and linked in
    4. Slide auto download images to off
    5. Buy a travel roaming pack.
    6. Change any app permission for GPS, Internet etc to off (this is my default except for BlackBerry travel. ).
    7. Connect to wifi when possible.

Rogers I think has 7.99 for 50mb now in the US.

Posted from my Z10 STL100-3 running 10.1.0.2354 on Rogers
    00stryder likes this.
    06-21-13 08:45 PM
    Use "ephone" (the app) when making calls, via wifi.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 09:33 PM
    Or you could turn off Data Services in Settings > Network Connections > Mobile Network.
    06-22-13 10:01 AM
    Just leave data roaming off, and use wifi. When not in wifi range you will get no data service when roaming. Easiest solution. Also rogers now offers 50mb for 7.99$, the pack lasts 24 hours. Changing emails to manual sync is a good idea as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 12:53 PM
    I second that! Roam Mobility is awesome!!! Way better pricing than those ripoff artists at Rogers! Just make sure the area of the US you're going to has good T-Mobile coverage as that is the network that Roam Mobility uses.

The only advantage roaming with Rogers is you're still using your normal phone # which means your family and friends back in Canada can still reach you as they normally would while you're travelling. But if you're like me, when I'm travelling on business, I prefer to be the one who dictates when I engage in a phone call so I'd rather be the one doing the calling rather than receiving calls. And with unlimited minutes within the US and Canada, how can you go wrong with Roam Mobility?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:34 PM