Why doesn't BB10 OS let you more carefully control data use, rather than only letting you turn it on or off? Has any of the apologists in this thread answered that?

Posted via CB10
    Has any OS ever offered that? On my 8830 and 9650 I purchased local sim cards when I first started traveling abroad. This is also what my colleagues did on their Android devices. (now I just use the vzw international plan if I am out of country for less than 2 weeks)
    This is a common solution to a common problem for all people who travel abroad.

Posted via CB10. 10.2.0.1791
    12-13-13 05:05 PM
    Hmm. Interesting. I spent almost two weeks of last month on a business trip at Germany and Italy. Had my old 9900 with me as well as Q10 running latest official firmware and my personal iPhone what I use actually for work as I manage content of several company FB pages and dedicated FB pages software exist for iPhone only.

So I purchased two packages of roaming data from my provider (O2), each 250MB for use anywhere at EU. One for iPhone and second for Q10. Left 9900 mobile data off and used it only on wifi for e-mails.
    Q10 has been used for handling most of e-mails, BBM, Twitter and Whatsup messages. I use for work my 9900 as I dislike some of the under-developed features on Q10 (like missing visible e-mail adress in forwarded e-mails what practically makes forwarded mails unusable). Bu I decided on the end of October to give Q10 a real chance and use it hard every day for a month to make a decision if to drop it in the shelf or use it instead of 9900. So I used Q10 even during my roaming foreign trip.
    I covered a lot of FB and blog posts using iPhone and my 250MB credit was gone in 4 days as I really publish a lot of photos from trade shows etc.
    I had to buy another package from my provider (each was about 50EUR) on the trip. I expected it. In iPhone settings is possible to reset data counter on mobile connection so I knew, how much roaming data is left.
    BlackBerry Q10 last with 250MB data package all two weeks and when I returned home I had stil some credit. So I cannot confirm that Q10 running 10.2 need 200MB per day. And I really get a lot of e-mails - about 200 each working day. Most of it I don't open and straight delete, but I handled quite a lot of office communication on Q10 and some 30 or 40 whatsup and BBM messages daily.
    Would be great on a best business phone to have option to enable/disable mobile data for each application, but I think it's technically not possible. So at least there should be switch to disable data with that application totally. Anyway, I don't see it as major issue. I don't have in the phone anything else then whatsup, two e-mails running IMAP sync with push, twitter, Linkedin (I log off for the trip) and facebook. Everything else is stock software. So I think if somebody's phone eat 200MB daily with manual sync on most apps and services, there must be some data leaking app what I don't have on my phone. I would check something like skype or maybe some maps app or so.

I hate Q10 for missing some daily needed shortcuts and practical features known from 9900, but in this case I must say that roaming data is not leaking on my unit.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 06:34 PM
    I have no idea why so many people have problems with roaming and data..

I am frequently roaming and I do not see any problems with it... I set a accounts to manual and never go over my 50 MB daily allowance. With tons of wifi everywhere, it is possible to use a phone with data turned off.... at least where I am living....

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 06:44 PM
    By the way - as somebody asked earlier - yesn other phones can control access of each application for usage of mobile data. For example iPhone OS7 does it in mobile data settings - where you can totally disable roaming mobile data and/or mobile data for each listed apps (dropbox, ebay, facebook, mail, messenger etc.)

I think such control in BlackBerry 10 is missing and should be available

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 02:05 PM
79 ... 234