I've seen thinking about BB10 and how can it disrupt, I think WE ALL agree that Camera on BB10 must be EXCELLENT. It must be at least as good as iPhone 4S/5, if not as good as Lumia 920 (which is #1 now).

To achieve that, and more to attract customers, I think they should just partner with a big player, like Canon, Nikon, Leica, Fuji, Panasonic Lumix, etc... not only on the lens, and sensor, but also for Camera feature.

This would immediately attract Camera Phone buyers, imagine this "BB10 with Nikon Camera Technology... or BB10 with Leica Lens, etc...", I think it would do a much better as "BB10 with 9 Megapixel camera", as everyone else got those big megapixels.

What do you guys think?
    Gerii likes this.
    12-09-12 04:24 PM
    i think we will be happy with the performance of the camera and don't necessarily need a fancy camera manufacturer to back them up.

RIM has said time and time again that they know users want a good camera, so i'm really hoping that they have one.
    12-09-12 04:44 PM
    Cell phone cameras are not the same as digital cameras. RIM is better off going with established suppliers of cellphone camera modules, which are absolutely tiny in comparison to full digital cameras. They are literally tiny little boxes smaller than my pinky nail. Canon, Nikon, etc... are not experts in manufacturing those. You'd be paying only for the brand name.
    12-09-12 05:32 PM
    This would immediately attract Camera Phone buyers, imagine this "BB10 with Nikon Camera Technology... or BB10 with Leica Lens, etc...", I think it would do a much better as "BB10 with 9 Megapixel camera", as everyone else got those big megapixels.

What do you guys think?
    I kinda agree. It would be good to have Carl Zeiss lens on the Aristo, for example. It's not possible to have it for low-end or maybe even mid-tier devices. But having it would be good for high-end BlackBerry devices.
    12-09-12 05:39 PM
    OP: Your post got me thinking about the iphone camera. Up until now, I had had no idea who made it, and looked it up. The consensus is that's it's made by Sony. The point is that almost no one cared, who made it, only that it was one of the better cameras out there. If when BB10 drops, and it's picture taking ability rivals or betters the competition, I figure the same will apply, because we KNOW the critics will do a comparison.
    12-09-12 05:46 PM
    OP: Your post got me thinking about the iphone camera. Up until now, I had had no idea who made it, and looked it up. The consensus is that's it's made by Sony. The point is that almost no one cared, who made it, only that it was one of the better cameras out there. If when BB10 drops, and it's picture taking ability rivals or betters the competition, I figure the same will apply, because we KNOW the critics will do a comparison.
    The point is not so much the *quality*, more so to get non-crackberry users excited, and into the stores, and to consider swtiching from their Android and iPhone to a Blackberry, or when they're getting off the CRAP Curve device, pick a BB10, because it's got "Carl Zeiss or Leica lens", etc...iPhone camera is good, and Apple's got such a high cult following and blind fanboys they do NOT need to say it's made by X, they say "it's made by Apple" and people come in droves to buy one.

RIM no longer has a good name, specially in US, so they need to differentiate, get people excited, get them into the ATT, Verizon stores, etc... Just an OS update would NOT DO IT! I know for a fact that many bought the Lumia 920, JUST FOR CAMERA (and maybe display and Wireless charging), they couldn't care less about Windows 8 or what not, that was a side show. So, RIM must have something like that in the store, a new OS is not necessarily a good thing for a non-BB user.

As to other posters that *we* will be happy if camera was good, that's fair, but again the problem of RIM is not the devoted followers, it's the masses that unfortunately are driven by marketing and brand names more than better technology.

This is it guys, make or break, they MUST do everything right and create buzz... need talking points, marketing sound bites, "BB10, true multi-tasking, most efficient OS, with latest lens technology from Leica", etc...
    12-09-12 05:59 PM
    Sorry repeat due to slow hotel connection.
    12-09-12 05:59 PM
    Well it won't be kodak, haha. Kinda late in the game to be picking a camera though. What say we cross our fingers and hope for the best?
    12-09-12 06:04 PM
    I'd like them to be way ahead and put a light field camera in the bb10 Light-field camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-09-12 06:16 PM
    Well it won't be kodak, haha. Kinda late in the game to be picking a camera though. What say we cross our fingers and hope for the best?
    We don't know yet, they might have a partnership in place, who knows... let's hope for the best as you said. I love my BB9900 apart from the dismal camera, it's a shame they screwed that up, also their OS was so poor with battery management at the begining, my phone was useless the first 9 months, latest OS has fixed battery... but I am not sure if people would have the same patience with BB10, better be near perfect at launch!
    12-09-12 06:33 PM
    We don't know yet, they might have a partnership in place, who knows... let's hope for the best as you said. I love my BB9900 apart from the dismal camera, it's a shame they screwed that up, also their OS was so poor with battery management at the begining, my phone was useless the first 9 months, latest OS has fixed battery... but I am not sure if people would have the same patience with BB10, better be near perfect at launch!
    You might want to look in to buying a real camera. I can't say I had "battery issues" with my 9900. Also, took some amazing pictures with it. Have you tried pressing the blackberry key and checking out the options? Yeah, I miss that phone
    12-09-12 06:54 PM
    I heard the camera is comparable to the Galaxy S3
    12-09-12 07:30 PM
    Let the critics test the camera and see for themselves no need for a name. Assuming its a great camera let it be The camera on the new BB take amazing pictures
    12-09-12 08:12 PM
    I agree with the OP, that RIM should parter with a big name camera manufacturer, and I've said before that they should partner with Bose for the speakers on a device. I know it sounds gimmicky, but that's what has worked for other successful products. Like computers and Androids with 'Beats By Dre Audio,' and we all know what 'Gorilla Glass' is because of the iPhone. I think Nokia used a Carl Zeiss lens on one of their Lumias, so it would probably would boost people's confidence in RIM if they saw a few big name companies like Nikon, Cannon or Bose to parter with RIM.
    12-09-12 11:35 PM
    the best camera without auto focus is sh!t... like the 9900. they can put anything in the new bb10 phones, please just let it have auto focus!
    12-10-12 12:40 AM
    I think it's way too late in the game to be bothered talking about this, considering that the production hardware is pretty much locked in at this point. Like, seriously... Do you seriously think that RIM would change the supplier of their camera modules in mid production and/or in the middle of carrier testing? I don't think so!
    12-10-12 12:40 AM
    I agree, camera is important and must be equal to the iPhone 5 and SG3, otherwise they are going to be slammed by the media and that is going to hurt sales. I have found that the Dev Alpha does poorly in low light compared to my iPhone 4S. I do not know if that is a software thing or the camera itself. The final product has to be better.
    12-10-12 04:10 AM
    The camera part, the CCD, is virtually a commodity good. It really doesn't matter who makes it. The parts that make the camera on the iPhone good are the lens system and the software.
    12-10-12 04:23 AM
    I agree, camera is important and must be equal to the iPhone 5 and SG3, otherwise they are going to be slammed by the media and that is going to hurt sales. I have found that the Dev Alpha does poorly in low light compared to my iPhone 4S. I do not know if that is a software thing or the camera itself. The final product has to be better.
    I am also quite confident that RIM did NOT use final hardware in any of the dev alpha devices and that would include the camera. It would be silly and a waste of money if they actually did. They probably just installed a "good enough" camera to take proper daytime pictures to show off the time shift feature and the final hardware would sport a great camera. However, I guess no one knows for sure so we will have to wait until the official release to find out.
    12-10-12 10:08 AM
    As I understand it the iPhone and the GSIII have virtually the same Sony internals. What sets the iPhone apart is what the software does with the raw data apparently as the GS III has a good camera but the iPhone is generally considered better.
    12-10-12 07:39 PM
    You might want to look in to buying a real camera. I can't say I had "battery issues" with my 9900. Also, took some amazing pictures with it. Have you tried pressing the blackberry key and checking out the options? Yeah, I miss that phone
    Really? I have been using semi-pro cameras all my life, had an LX3 and just got an LX7 for my trip (which are best small size camera you can get).

You CANNOT argue, 9900 camera was poor, and that they MUST do as good of a job as iPhone/SG3/Lumia , smaller pocketable cameras are basically dying due to smartphones, it's a must have in any flagship product of any platform. On my trip in Australia now, there are many folks who actually haven't even bothered bringing a real camra and are using their iPhones or other cameraphones.

At any rate, the technology has advanced enough and a cameraphone should be able to do as well as small cameras in ideal situations.
    12-10-12 11:22 PM
    This makes you wonder when Thor was at that Basketball game if he got really great pictures with one of their testing devices.
    12-11-12 11:19 AM
    mobile camera will not be as good as a digital camera.BB10 just needs to be able to take decent pics eventually filterws get tossed on or pics get photshopped so it really just needs to take a decent enough pic.
    12-11-12 11:20 AM
    They should go with Sony. I am thrilled with the Xperia's camera
    12-11-12 11:41 AM
    I've seen thinking about BB10 and how can it disrupt, I think WE ALL agree that Camera on BB10 must be EXCELLENT. It must be at least as good as iPhone 4S/5, if not as good as Lumia 920 (which is #1 now).

To achieve that, and more to attract customers, I think they should just partner with a big player, like Canon, Nikon, Leica, Fuji, Panasonic Lumix, etc... not only on the lens, and sensor, but also for Camera feature.

What do you guys think?
    I think you have missed the boat here. The hardware specs and components have been determined and sourced long ago.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    12-11-12 09:28 PM
26 12