RIM says PlayBook's new operating system a 'sneak peek' at BlackBerry 10 - 680News

TORONTO - If Research in Motion (TSX:RIM) hopes to bounce back from a series of missteps that allowed rivals Apple and Google to leap ahead in the smartphone war, its forthcoming operating system BlackBerry 10 will have to truly wow consumers.

RIM insists it will. For a glimpse of what's to come, users just need to check out the latest software update for RIM's PlayBook tablet, says senior product manager Michael Clewley, calling it "the foundation for BlackBerry 10."

"This is a fantastic preview and a sneak peek into what BlackBerry 10 is going to offer," says Clewley of the new PlayBook 2.0 software update, made available to users earlier this week.

more in link
    modine and lexsteryo like this.
    02-23-12 06:13 PM
    And the upcoming 3G+ playbook will be even closer to a BB10 phone
    02-23-12 08:49 PM
    I like this statement at the end:

"BlackBerry App World is the method for users to get applications, these applications, of course, go through a vetting process to ensure there's no malware and there's protection from that perspective," said Clewley.

"If users are sideloading applications then they're essentially loading those at their own risk and it's not the recommended approach."
    02-23-12 09:00 PM
    If RIM wants to have a chance then there had better be a bunch more upgrades to the Playbook OS SOON!!!! to provide device control, because it is currently lacking it. If as a user I am unable to define the behavior of my device such as messaging type and online vs offline, specific keyboard type for each program and field type. Browser operations ESPECIALLY BOOKMARK MANAGEMENT, native file management that is at least as good as what can be found in the app store, the ability to set sleep options LONGER THAN FIVE MINUTES, and many other issues then Perhaps this device will go into the closet with the Mac Color Classic, which had about the same functionality as my Playbook has right now.

RIM, roll out the upgrades to get the attention you desire and show what you have. If you sit on them likely as not their very existence will be in doubt and even if the upgrades will be forth coming, use them now to generate some buzz and get expectations going north. Upgrade my device every two weeks with another of the features coming to OS 10. By the time an actual device rolls out maybe people will want to buy it. If you can't then likely you got nothing.........
    02-23-12 11:39 PM
    If RIM wants to have a chance then there had better be a bunch more upgrades to the Playbook OS SOON!!!! to provide device control, because it is currently lacking it. If as a user I am unable to define the behavior of my device such as messaging type and online vs offline, specific keyboard type for each program and field type. Browser operations ESPECIALLY BOOKMARK MANAGEMENT, native file management that is at least as good as what can be found in the app store, the ability to set sleep options LONGER THAN FIVE MINUTES, and many other issues then Perhaps this device will go into the closet with the Mac Color Classic, which had about the same functionality as my Playbook has right now.

RIM, roll out the upgrades to get the attention you desire and show what you have. If you sit on them likely as not their very existence will be in doubt and even if the upgrades will be forth coming, use them now to generate some buzz and get expectations going north. Upgrade my device every two weeks with another of the features coming to OS 10. By the time an actual device rolls out maybe people will want to buy it. If you can't then likely you got nothing.........
    wow, all those things you listed are so incredibly minor. Why would you want your device to stay on for longer than 5 minutes if you are not using it? If there is a movie playing it will of course stay active. Book mark management? What is wrong with the current set up? its pretty simple. What are you talking about messaging type online and offline? what kind of messages would you receive if you are offline???
    02-24-12 12:31 AM
    wow, all those things you listed are so incredibly minor. Why would you want your device to stay on for longer than 5 minutes if you are not using it? If there is a movie playing it will of course stay active. Book mark management? What is wrong with the current set up? its pretty simple. What are you talking about messaging type online and offline? what kind of messages would you receive if you are offline???
    I agree....If the guy wants "offline messaging" he should run to Staples and buy a pen & paper
    02-24-12 03:49 AM
    I do agree that bookmark management should have been implemented by now. It's an incredibly basic feature, so I'm not sure why RIM has overlooked in for the past 10 months on the Playbook.
    sagec likes this.
    02-24-12 06:23 AM
    i agree that those are very minor upgrades.. but the fact that rim hasnt listened to the current market and too many minor things will make a major thing. rim wants to be innovative but it cannot go beyond the point of what consumers already has and cannot go without.
    that said, i hope we get dlna, those bookmark, email upgrades (as currently a lot of options are missing) for a software they had 1 year to perfect , and most of all i hope that rim listens to their consumers, i cant even find a good way to give my feedback or suggestion it has to be easier than that, especially on the playbook.
    02-24-12 06:39 AM
    I believe the QNX platform has the most potential out of all current mobile operating systems. It is the most stable and the best at multitasking. You really do get great performance out of it with moderate specs.
    02-24-12 05:18 PM
    i agree that those are very minor upgrades.. but the fact that rim hasnt listened to the current market and too many minor things will make a major thing. rim wants to be innovative but it cannot go beyond the point of what consumers already has and cannot go without.
    that said, i hope we get dlna, those bookmark, email upgrades (as currently a lot of options are missing) for a software they had 1 year to perfect , and most of all i hope that rim listens to their consumers, i cant even find a good way to give my feedback or suggestion it has to be easier than that, especially on the playbook.
    How long have they been working on android? A lot longer than a year. It still hasn't been perfected.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    02-24-12 05:24 PM
    I do agree that bookmark management should have been implemented by now. It's an incredibly basic feature, so I'm not sure why RIM has overlooked in for the past 10 months on the Playbook.

You do know that you can save bookmarks to the home screen and then put them in folders
    02-24-12 07:00 PM
    I agree....If the guy wants "offline messaging" he should run to Staples and buy a pen & paper
    Ok, i laughed. :P

Without going off topic, if OS 2.0 is a good indication of what BB10 can do, the future for BlackBerry phones is still bright. The multi-tasking ability of the PlayBook far surpassed any of the other tablets I've tried, and bringing that to a phone, I can't even imagine what doors it can open!

Not that the 9900 isn't good, but it's laggy when there's 10 things running in the background, whereas the PlayBook doesn't miss a beat!
    02-24-12 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD