Hey guys,

I own both a PlayBook and z10, and I've been hearing talk about multitasking and how Samsung does it better etc etc etc. I've enjoyed my longtime experience on the PB where I could literally swipe between opened apps using the side bezels. Do you think if this feature is ever implemented on the BB10 phones, that it'll be a huuuge step up to the what other phones have?

The advantage is still there, since it'll still be a completely button-less system unlike what the ios7 does with the double tap on the home button + most apps don't use the right bezel as much (since left usually goes back between pages), so that could be an exclusive "swipe between apps" feature. I think it'd be sweeeeeet!

Whatta you guys think!?!?... Potential 10.3 update lol

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-15-13 03:25 AM
    As long as the user would have the option to turn it on and off, I like the idea.
    If it would be on all the time, then I prefer the current way (swipe up, choose other app).

Posted via CB10
    SalMan50 likes this.
    10-15-13 03:29 AM
    It would be a nice addition...
    10-15-13 03:30 AM
    Although it would be a great addition, it would be visually inconsistent coz of the way the active frames are laid in a grid instead of the way in the PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 03:35 AM
    I always swipe like this by mistake, then I realise it's impossible to do so on my Z10. Wish it was possible though...
    SalMan50 likes this.
    10-15-13 03:42 AM
    Although it would be a great addition, it would be visually inconsistent coz of the way the active frames are laid in a grid instead of the way in the PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    True, the PB was all about the horizontal layout so it was natural. If ever it came to bb10, it might seem inconsistent, but I think when ur in the heat of it all, that right swipe would feel hella natural too, all about that "Keep Moving" haha

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 03:46 AM
    I think the swipe from the side bezel to switch app gesture might make sense as an optional addition because it is becoming an industry standard. I believe iOS 7 allows you to turn on such gesture-based multitasking... and, of course, Windows 8, WebOS, and the Playbook all helped to standardize it quite some time ago. As the original poster mentions, even some Android phones feature this.

Having said all that, multitasking on the BB10 is currently *much better* than program-switching by swiping to the right. I say this because of the following:

1. Swiping to the right to switch programs is error-prone. The swipe up gesture isn't as likely to fire on accident. I mean, let's face it, a lot of apps use a swipe right to left gesture *within* the app and that means accidental multitasking results with just a little too much reach. (Think e-reader apps, among others, for the frequent right-to-left swiping.)

2. When you swipe up from BlackBerry 10, you get the last four programs you were in with quick-at-a-glance *visual* representations in the form of boxes so you can chose exactly where you want to land. When I use Windows 8 or other swipe-from-the-right program switchers, I need to remember which program I'll be swiping to without a visual cue or I spend time swiping through several programs waiting for the right one to come along. Both practices are far inferior to the BB10 UI. Swipe up and see your apps, then tap the one you want to enter it. No need to press buttons to get to a visual task switcher like on iOS and Android. In fact, the original poster should probably be suggesting that the swipe in from right bezel gesture bring up a task switcher rather than requiring button presses or jumping through apps until you get on the right one. It might help improve the experience for his iOS and Android friends.

NOTE: In the above comment I'm all over the place with RIGHT swipe and LEFT swipe for different OSes and it looks like I misspoke -- at least in regards to Win8 and iOS7 in terms of direction. However, if you just compare side-swipe gesture to task switch generally versus BB10's multitasking UI, I think my points still hold true.
    10-15-13 03:59 AM
    The way cascades menus are setup in BlackBerry 10 make this option too confusing. It would result in too many accidental app switches. The size of the phone is another reason. I'm actually very happy they didn't try to force this. It is great on the PB, but wouldn't work on the phones.

Posted via my Z10
    10-15-13 05:39 AM
    I think the swipe from the side bezel to switch app gesture might make sense as an optional addition because it is becoming an industry standard. I believe iOS 7 allows you to turn on such gesture-based multitasking... and, of course, Windows 8, WebOS, and the Playbook all helped to standardize it quite some time ago. As the original poster mentions, even some Android phones feature this.

Having said all that, multitasking on the BB10 is currently *much better* than program-switching by swiping to the right. I say this because of the following:

1. Swiping to the right to switch programs is error-prone. The swipe up gesture isn't as likely to fire on accident. I mean, let's face it, a lot of apps use a swipe right to left gesture *within* the app and that means accidental multitasking results with just a little too much reach. (Think e-reader apps, among others, for the frequent right-to-left swiping.)

2. When you swipe up from BlackBerry 10, you get the last four programs you were in with quick-at-a-glance *visual* representations in the form of boxes so you can chose exactly where you want to land. When I use Windows 8 or other swipe-from-the-right program switchers, I need to remember which program I'll be swiping to without a visual cue or I spend time swiping through several programs waiting for the right one to come along. Both practices are far inferior to the BB10 UI. Swipe up and see your apps, then tap the one you want to enter it. No need to press buttons to get to a visual task switcher like on iOS and Android. In fact, the original poster should probably be suggesting that the swipe in from right bezel gesture bring up a task switcher rather than requiring button presses or jumping through apps until you get on the right one. It might help improve the experience for his iOS and Android friends.

NOTE: In the above comment I'm all over the place with RIGHT swipe and LEFT swipe for different OSes and it looks like I misspoke -- at least in regards to Win8 and iOS7 in terms of direction. However, if you just compare side-swipe gesture to task switch generally versus BB10's multitasking UI, I think my points still hold true.
    Very valid and solid points man. Right side might affect an apps functionality, and the constant swipe to get to the required app may be a bit tedious. In this case, I believe an option to imitate thag PlayBook -like functionality might work best, toggling on/off should enable both parties tons we the effectiveness of such implementation

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 09:06 PM