Can removing the battery from your device whilst it is switched on damage the device at all?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:32 AM
    Yes it can mess up the software, if it's frozen or whatever hold the volume up and down buttons until it turns off
    08-31-15 10:46 AM
    Not advisable, but Q10 can run with ac plug only if that may help you.
    08-31-15 11:46 AM
    Messing up the software isn't a problem as I can simply run an autoloader to fix it; but can it damage the actual device?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 02:05 PM
    Why don't you just shut the device down?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 04:08 PM
    ...don't do that?
    08-31-15 04:09 PM
    You won't damage the device. It's not like it has moving parts are anything.

And, all this talk of messing up the software is a bit of a non-issue, really. I have yet to see an account of the software messing up because of a battery pull.

Does the OS perform background tasks? Sure.

But, whatever it happens to be doing while pulling the battery, it will just re-do after the next boot up. It's not like you're going to be saving a document and decide at that moment "oh, let me yank the battery out NOW", before the file is saved. Emails are usually synced to an external source so that if something was in the middle of coming through when the battery was pulled, it too will just re-sync after the reboot.

And we really don't know how much "writing" is really going on, so most of those arguments are just guesses.

There are plenty of people on these forums that do constant battery pulls, yet no catastrophic consequences have ever been reported. If there's such a post that I missed, please link me to it, and I'll change my position.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 04:32 PM
    You won't damage the device. It's not like it has moving parts are anything.

And, all this talk of messing up the software is a bit of a non-issue, really. I have yet to see an account of the software messing up because of a battery pull.

Does the OS perform background tasks? Sure.

But, whatever it happens to be doing while pulling the battery, it will just re-do after the next boot up. It's not like you're going to be saving a document and decide at that moment "oh, let me yank the battery out NOW", before the file is saved. Emails are usually synced to an external source so that if something was in the middle of coming through when the battery was pulled, it too will just re-sync after the reboot.

And we really don't know how much "writing" is really going on, so most of those arguments are just guesses.

There are plenty of people on these forums that do constant battery pulls, yet no catastrophic consequences have ever been reported. If there's such a post that I missed, please link me to it, and I'll change my position.

Posted via CB10
    Catastrophic problems, perhaps not. But a number of people who claim that they regularly swap batteries on a running device and have no problems, do report minor issues and bugs that I have never encountered. The problem is you may not be able to link a fault with the battery pull becuase the fault might not turn up until days (and maybe several battery pulls) later.

Since MIT has just published information about an experimental crash tolerant file system, if you don't have to intentionally crash your phone (what you are doing when you pull the battery while it is running) maybe you shouldn't. Your phone, your choice.
    Joshu42 likes this.
    08-31-15 09:19 PM