In the light of the Apple security flaw that has been around since Autumn 2012 I was wondering can a greater reliance on the android runtime affect BlackBerry's security? I ask this as I use more and more apk apps on my z10 and want to know if it is possible my phone can be traced in the same way Google and Apple devices were with the NSA scandal.
    02-23-14 01:02 PM
    The Android runtime is supposed to be walled off from the rest of the system, although that contacts bug shows that that approach isn't perfect. I would like to see granular permission control on all apps on BB10, not just native Cascades/AIR/etc. apps. As of now, if that totally-not-a-Chinese-scam Flappy Bird clone you've installed needs location services and contacts, then you have not much to do about it.

Speaking of that contacts bug, anyone know if 10.2.1.2142 (or at least the 10.2.1.136 runtime) fixed that?
    02-23-14 01:05 PM
    I'd be happy with just granular control of the Android run time. All other bbm apps have granular control.
    For the few apks I use this would be fine.
    It is a feature of android that app permissions will be shown but not changeable, think BlackBerry may have to make some effort to abide by android rules no matter how much they annoy.
    02-23-14 04:55 PM
    Android notifications are annoying as **** I cannot imagine what they're like at the top of their screen. Thankfully hub is quickly accessible to delete them but on an android not so sure

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 05:10 PM
    I'm betting this is a good reason to avoid putting Android apps on your device in the first place. I do wish BlackBerry would just give us the option to uninstall the runtime if we wanted too.
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    02-23-14 06:06 PM
    I'm betting this is a good reason to avoid putting Android apps on your device in the first place. I do wish BlackBerry would just give us the option to uninstall the runtime if we wanted too.
    Why? That sounds like time they could spend programming something useful.

Posted via CB10
    officially_juju likes this.
    02-23-14 06:27 PM
    Because not everyone buys BlackBerry's wanting Google code anywhere on their device. Besides, I don't see it as taking "time", but simply giving an 'option'. Why would it be a bad idea for users to have that choice (to remove the runtime if they chose?)
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    02-23-14 06:35 PM
    Because not everyone buys BlackBerry's wanting Google code anywhere on their device. Besides, I don't see it as taking "time", but simply giving an 'option'. Why would it be a bad idea for users to have that choice (to remove the runtime if they chose?)
    Just uninstall Android apps.
    officially_juju likes this.
    02-23-14 07:20 PM
    People are really that bothered about whether or not Google had a hand in the development of something?

I don't know what you mean by 'Google code', do you mean an official Google application or something wrote for Android? If the former you have the option not to use a Google Application and if the latter your mistaken to believe Android is written in 'Google Code' C and Java were around long before Google even existed.

Giving options isn't as easy as ticking a box, you have to consider the cost and practicality of your actions.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 08:55 PM
    I'm sorry, I am anti-Google Inc, that's all.

By Google code I meant Android, software developed from Google, I don't mean it to reference a type of programming language. In short, Google produces Android and I do not want their software in my OS.

Unless BB10 in and of itself relies on Android to run, I would wager it took *more* cost and effort to get another OS running on this one rather than the reverse. If BB10 does rely on any of that software, then no, it wouldn't be easy to make it removable.

Just ignore me, everyone else in the world loves Google and Android except me.
    02-24-14 01:21 AM
    Hate Google, they trash your privacy all the time, remember what happened in Europe ? Collecting datas on wifi with their Google cars ? Trash company with little values.
    02-24-14 04:35 AM
    02-24-14 04:37 AM
    Hate Google, they trash your privacy all the time, remember what happened in Europe ? Collecting datas on wifi with their Google cars ? Trash company with little values.
    No what you mean been a Gmail customer since 2004 but in the past 7 years they have insisted on linking everything I don't want to use!

YouTube, and then most recently Google+ they make your life extremely difficult if you choose to ignore as they always pop up with easy to sign up but hard to opt out.

Been wanting to move email address for years but it's such a hassle as everything has to be changed in terms of subscriptions and business.

Does Box do emails?

Posted via CB10
    neeeko likes this.
    02-24-14 05:17 PM
    You can uninstall it with Sachesi.

I'm sorry, I am anti-Google Inc, that's all.

By Google code I meant Android, software developed from Google, I don't mean it to reference a type of programming language. In short, Google produces Android and I do not want their software in my OS.

Unless BB10 in and of itself relies on Android to run, I would wager it took *more* cost and effort to get another OS running on this one rather than the reverse. If BB10 does rely on any of that software, then no, it wouldn't be easy to make it removable.

Just ignore me, everyone else in the world loves Google and Android except me.
    I also avoid Google services as much as possible, but if you don't want *any* Google code running on your devices, you can't even use the browser, as part of its rendering engine has been written by Google.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:47 PM
    Been wanting to move email address for years but it's such a hassle as everything has to be changed in terms of subscriptions and business.
    Was on the same boat until i decided to host an email server at home using a Synology product. Very easy to set up. Am lucky to have an ISP that provides fixed IP and reverse DNS for free ! Otherwise i would have turned to a VPS in the cloud. Google is trash. And as such they also think that you are trash.
    Of course i had to list all the services i had subscribed to with my Gmail account. Took me several weeks, but now i feel free.

I also have a private cloud at home using the same Synology NAS...
    02-25-14 04:48 AM