Not sure if BlackBerry folks already know about the desktop application called Raccoon Google Play or not but I was over at a tech website called Liliputing and found an article by Brad Linder (Liliputing's owner) on it that lets users who don't have access to Google Play Store via their devices buy and download Android APK's legitimately.

I am then making an assumption that most of the APK's can be side loaded onto a BB 10.x device. I don't know if they require BAR conversion or not because I'm kind of out of the BB 10 loop since I'm still on old school OS 7 (and PlayBook OS 2), but I hope this article helps some of you with a new path to obtain Android APK's on BB 10.

If you do download and try this desktop application out, please post your experiences in this thread.

Attachment 319237

Summary direct copy/paste from Brad Linder's Liliputing's article - go to Liliputing to read the full article:
    "The Google Play Store makes it easy to find, download and install Android apps… assuming you have an Android device with the Play Store installed.

But if you’re running a device that doesn’t have the Play Store or just want to download installable Android apps you may need another way to download apps which you can then sideload.

Developer onyxbits has a tool that lets you do just that. It’s called Raccoon and it’s a desktop client for Google Play which lets you search the Play Store and download Android APK installer files to your desktop.

You can use Raccoon to download files so that you can sideload them your device or just store them on your PC for safe keeping...read more on Liliputing
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 12-07-14 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Was asked to make post a summary and link to main article
    moody likes this.
    12-07-14 12:23 PM
    We already have snap, a native google play client on your phone

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    12-07-14 02:14 PM
    We already have snap, a native google play client on your phone

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    Big fan of Snap. It's always good for people to have options though
    12-07-14 02:17 PM
    So this let's us download apks we've paid for?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    12-07-14 02:20 PM
    So this let's us download apks we've paid for?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    Apparently yes if you have a legit Google Play account so ya, that is my assumption after reading. I haven't spent too much time over on XDA forums and the thread about this but I think it's worth taking a look at.

From the same XDA thread I just linked to:

Ever ran into one of these problems?

• You want to check out an app, but your device is not officially supported.
    • After flashing a custom ROM, you no longer have Google Play available on your phone.
    • You updated an app, but the new version causes nothing but trouble and you want to go back to the previous version.
    • You are not satisfied with Google's privacy policy and would rather download apps without hooking your phone up to Google.
    • You want to check out apps without them cluttering up your "My Apps" list and potentially influencing app suggestions.
    • You don't have unlimited bandwidth at your disposal but want to install an app on multiple devices in your household.

Raccoon is a Google Play desktop client that will enable you to download APK files from Google Play and cache them locally on your desktop computer. You can maintain as many caches as you like (e.g. one per Google Account or one per device you own). Each cache is able to hold apps in multiple versions.
    delroyj likes this.
    12-07-14 02:36 PM
    Snap let's you download appps you paid for too

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    12-07-14 03:15 PM
    Snap let's you download appps you paid for too

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    That's nice. Is it open source? Can you extend it or customize it to your needs?

Look I couldn't care less if there are 100 apps that let you do this type of thing or not. This thread is about Raccoon - period. If you want to be one of the few thus far who keep bleating "Snap does this too" then go ahead, but do it in your own thread because you're adding zero value to this thread. Snap may be the cat's meow (I don't know and I don't care), but it is NOT Raccoon. Start a snap thread...I'll come over and troll it and put some lame comment like "Raccoon does this too" in it to make you happy. Make sense?
    12-07-14 04:31 PM
    There's no need to get defensive. I'm sure everyone appreciates having options, but Snap is a very well designed native app that works directly from your device, so yeah, people are going to talk about it
    12-07-14 04:43 PM
    This is interesting. Something I've never heard of before.

Ironically enough, I installed Google Play store on my Z30 today. Works great and can make in app purchases as well.

Hope this doesn't anger anyone w/ regards to the Racoon thing. Just thought maybe someone might like to know.

I am.... Mrs Peevishlicious
    12-07-14 04:59 PM
    I like the idea and will definitely give it a try. Snap is all well and good but I like to keep my installers on my hard drive. Also, Snap is locked to one Google account, I hope this Raccoon will allow me to download apps that are "not for your region" or "incompatible with your devices"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    12-07-14 11:00 PM
    That's nice. Is it open source? Can you extend it or customize it to your needs?

Look I couldn't care less if there are 100 apps that let you do this type of thing or not. This thread is about Raccoon - period. If you want to be one of the few thus far who keep bleating "Snap does this too" then go ahead, but do it in your own thread because you're adding zero value to this thread. Snap may be the cat's meow (I don't know and I don't care), but it is NOT Raccoon. Start a snap thread...I'll come over and troll it and put some lame comment like "Raccoon does this too" in it to make you happy. Make sense?
    Basically this is an opinion-free zone where what you want to talk about reigns eh?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 11:10 PM