1. Can I set say, one alarm on Thursday and Friday to go off at 5 am, and then on Wednesday and Monday have the alarm go off at say 430 am? I could do this on the legacy os calender, can is do it in BB10.

2.Can i set up word substitution? on the legacy os, I did a lot fo bbcode, so when i typed bb it turned into [b] and ii was [i]. Can I do this in bb10?

3.Custom LED colours? enough said.

4.Have a silent mode that turns off ALL notifications except my ringtone?, i hate getting a bazillion pings and message notifications, i'd rather just know when calls come in.

5.is the old school, super basic, easy and fast to use Memopad still there and can I use bbprotect to bring all my notes into BB10?

6.is wifi hotspot there?

7.can i install canadian keyboard setting so things dont go from Colour to Color?

8.is auto on/off still there?

9. does one need to have a BES to use blackberry balance? it'd be neat to have school on one side and my own stuff on the other.

10.is blackberry bridge there, or will my playbook become useless?

11.documents to go, is it there for pdf's and word?

12.is there a TD app?

13.can i make folders for the applications I do not use?

14. can I hide applications?

15.can I create links to websites on the app screen, gotta have my crackberry fix easy and accessible.

16.is msn preinstalled like the legacy os's?

17.how is the file management app compared to legacy os, because the one on playbook SUCKED.

18.did they get rid of that aweful 1 minute wait for the device to lock. I want to be able to click my lock button and have the password come up right away for security reasons. otherwise someone could grab it before the 1 minute and have full access to everything of mine.

19.I hope there is a way to uninstall twitter, oh and a way to block any signs of netflicks and instagram ever, because all 3 of those suck.

20. does the video player finally play mkv with subtitles for those of us who watch a ton of hd anime that has mutiple subtitles and languages that need to be changed.

21. ive seen previews where people say bedside mode sucks, is this true?
    02-03-13 08:56 AM
    22. the ability to organize pictures better, like in os 5

23. the ability too turn off annoying, "connect with bbm" messages

24. drag and drop usb connecting
    02-03-13 06:15 PM
    Bump

(please)
    02-04-13 09:35 AM
    1. Can I set say, one alarm on Thursday and Friday to go off at 5 am, and then on Wednesday and Monday have the alarm go off at say 430 am? I could do this on the legacy os calender, can is do it in BB10.
    unknown, but I don't think so - it looks like I can only set 1 alarm
    2.Can i set up word substitution? on the legacy os, I did a lot fo bbcode, so when i typed bb it turned into [b] and ii was [i]. Can I do this in bb10?
    haven't done it, but I'm led to believe yes you can, including a macro e.g. that inserts today's date, or the time, into the substitution
    3.Custom LED colours? enough said.
    not by the looks of it although the hardware supports at least red/yellow/orange
    4.Have a silent mode that turns off ALL notifications except my ringtone?, i hate getting a bazillion pings and message notifications, i'd rather just know when calls come in.
    there is a 'phone calls only' option, I haven't used it yet
    5.is the old school, super basic, easy and fast to use Memopad still there and can I use bbprotect to bring all my notes into BB10?
    no, it's called Remember, it's less basic but still fairly easy and quick to use
    6.is wifi hotspot there?
    I believe so - yes
    7.can i install canadian keyboard setting so things dont go from Colour to Color?
    unknown
    8.is auto on/off still there?
    I can't find it
    9. does one need to have a BES to use blackberry balance? it'd be neat to have school on one side and my own stuff on the other.
    couple of open threads about this - unknown
    10.is blackberry bridge there, or will my playbook become useless?
    unknown as don't have a PB
    11.documents to go, is it there for pdf's and word?
    I can read pdfs and office docs
    12.is there a TD app?
    ?
    13.can i make folders for the applications I do not use?
    yes, easily
    14. can I hide applications?
    in what sense "hide"?
    15.can I create links to websites on the app screen, gotta have my crackberry fix easy and accessible.
    yes
    16.is msn preinstalled like the legacy os's?
    unknown
    17.how is the file management app compared to legacy os, because the one on playbook SUCKED.
    takes a bit of getting used to - it's been brought up in some reviews
    18.did they get rid of that aweful 1 minute wait for the device to lock. I want to be able to click my lock button and have the password come up right away for security reasons. otherwise someone could grab it before the 1 minute and have full access to everything of mine.
    10 second minimum
    19.I hope there is a way to uninstall twitter, oh and a way to block any signs of netflicks and instagram ever, because all 3 of those suck.
    yes
    20. does the video player finally play mkv with subtitles for those of us who watch a ton of hd anime that has mutiple subtitles and languages that need to be changed.
    unknown
    21. ive seen previews where people say bedside mode sucks, is this true?
    unknown - what sucks?
    22. the ability to organize pictures better, like in os 5
    hmmm, subjective, you can make folders etc?
    23. the ability too turn off annoying, "connect with bbm" messages
    unknown, love BBM!
    24. drag and drop usb connecting
    when plugged in you can treat the SD card and possibly the internal memory as a drive letter, yes
    02-04-13 12:34 PM
    I think this is a good idea for a thread. Simple Q&A for people who don't yet have a BB10 phone.

Can we keep this one civil, no banter and simple questions and answers?

Yes, I believe BES is required to activate BlackBerry Balance.

My questions:

1) Can anyone confirm if the calendar and contacts in BB10 can be sync'd to MS Office Outlook via USB and "BlackBerry Link"?
    2) Can the device have multiple instances of one application running? Example: two PDF readers open? If not, can the PDF reader have multiple PDF documents open in a tabbed arrangement?
    3) Does the native PDF reader support PDF bookmarks, password protected PDF files, annotations and other "advanced" PDF features?
    02-04-13 12:58 PM
    25. Is there a native Voice Note app? If so, in what format does it save sound recordings?

26. In Gmail, is there an option to "archive" a given email?
    02-04-13 01:13 PM
    The answer to question 10 is all over the PB forums.

Bridging between a Z10 and a PB is still possible, but has been significantly reduced in functionality.

You can still browse the web via bridge, but forget all that email/contact/etc stuff you used to do on your PB.
    02-04-13 01:40 PM
    Someone in the Z10 thread stated there is Color I.D. App for customizing notification colors in BlackBerry World.
    02-04-13 01:45 PM
    Picked up my bb10 and I love it, however, 2 things I can't seem to do that I could on my bold 9900. Firstly, how do I create distribution lists on emails or groups in my contact list?
    Secondly, one featured I loved with previous bbs was that you could silence the ring tone and message tone for certain contacts, I can not seem to do this on the 10, I have edited the contacts ringtone but there is no silent option??
    02-05-13 06:19 PM
    In setup pick "English (Canadian)" instead of just 'English"

Still looking for a fix for the default mm/dd/yy display when I NEED the option of yy/mm/dd and dd/mm/yy since dealing with regulatory agencies that use those formats. Very bad if it isn't there because the Playbook has it fine.
    02-05-13 07:57 PM
    CORRECTION...that's "English (UK)"
    In setup pick "English (Canadian)" instead of just 'English"

Still looking for a fix for the default mm/dd/yy display when I NEED the option of yy/mm/dd and dd/mm/yy since dealing with regulatory agencies that use those formats. Very bad if it isn't there because the Playbook has it fine.
    02-05-13 07:58 PM
    And a further correction...the Help section says essentially to pick a region that uses the date format you would like to use....NOT very business like!
    02-05-13 08:02 PM

1) Can anyone confirm if the calendar and contacts in BB10 can be sync'd to MS Office Outlook via USB and "BlackBerry Link"?
    yes as long as you do not sync them wirelessly

2) Can the device have multiple instances of one application running? Example: two PDF readers open? If not, can the PDF reader have multiple PDF documents open in a tabbed arrangement?
    This one i do not know

3) Does the native PDF reader support PDF bookmarks, password protected PDF files, annotations and other "advanced" PDF features?
    Have not tried the native one but you can use jotsy

[QUOTE=ubizmo;7933285]25. Is there a native Voice Note app? If so, in what format does it save sound recordings?
    Can not find a voice recorder app, even though i am using BB10 on DevAlpha hardware

simply “Flag” or “Unflag a message in the BlackBerry 10 hub and that translates into a Star or Unstarred message in Gmail
    There is no option to archive as that, but if you set up your Gmail to put imap deleted messages to the archived mail folder you just need to do that on the device and the email gets archived, or you can open the message and open the menu and choose file, this will give you the option to put that message on any folder you want

The answer to question 10 is all over the PB forums.

Bridging between a Z10 and a PB is still possible, but has been significantly reduced in functionality.

You can still browse the web via bridge, but forget all that email/contact/etc stuff you used to do on your PB.
    The PB needs a software update for all this to work as before
    02-05-13 08:30 PM
    While using an app on the PlayBook, you can swipe down from the upper left corner to temporarily pull down the date and time (which is normally hidden). Is there a similar gesture with BB10?
    02-05-13 08:54 PM
    While using an app on the PlayBook, you can swipe down from the upper left corner to temporarily pull down the date and time (which is normally hidden). Is there a similar gesture with BB10?
    yes do it from the bottom
    02-05-13 08:55 PM
    1) On balance, can you use an app on both work & personal? example: Facebook/Twitter. I have a personal account and work accounts with a fan page?
    2) Any one setup a hosted exchange with BES on blackberry 10? If so, which hosted exchange are you using?
    Last edited by cajunberry; 02-10-13 at 03:40 PM.
    02-09-13 06:52 PM
    Hi I'm thinking of getting the Z10 just wanted to clarify the following points:

1. A previous poster mentioned that stars can be synced to Gmail via flags - is this a reliable, consistent process?

2. The same person said that going within the menu you could use the Gmail Archive function via folders in BB10 - how does this work exactly? Is it possible to archive messages without using the 'delete' workaround outlined above?

3. I've heard that you can avoid the 30 day email sync only problem by setting up the Gmail account as an IMAP not an Active Sync - is this true? Does it throw up any other problems? You can then set up your contacts as a separate account under Exchange, without selecting email.

4. Can anyone give a full breakdown of how useful BB10 is for Gmail? Can't seem to find this anywhere! We use multiple Gmail business email addresses and need to know if Blackberries are going to be useful to us going forward.

Any help much appreciated!
    02-10-13 02:14 PM
    25. Is there a native Voice Note app? If so, in what format does it save sound recordings?

I'm bumping this to see if there's an answer to 25. I'm pretty sure now that 26 is a no.
    02-12-13 05:08 PM
    I am also interested in knowing if you can create distribution lists for contacts. I have 5 different volunteer orginizations that I send e-mails out to and the lists are fairly long. It would be nice to have this ability again.
    03-29-13 04:43 PM
    1. You can still use the calendar for multiple alarms.

2. Yes, word substitution is still available. You can set up as many words as you like.

3. Hub++ has the ability to change LED notifications, as well as sounds.

4. Profiles are pretty basic right now. Hopefully this is something that gets expanded in the future.

5. There is a new app called Remember, which replaces Memo and Tasks. It can also sync with Evernote. I'm not sure if it will pull memos down from BlackBerry Protect, though.

6. Yes, wifi hotspot is built in.

7. English language choices are US and UK.

8. Auto off/on doesn't seem to be there. When the phone is off, it's off.

9. BlackBerry Balance only works with BES.

10. Bridge is still there, but not all of the features from BBOS. The Hub handles messages differently, so things like email, text messages, and BBM aren't there right now. They should be added in the future.

11. Docs To Go is included, along with Adobe Reader for PDFs.

12. I don't know.

13. Yes, you can create folders.

14. You can't hide app icons other than moving them to a folder.

15. Yes, you can created shortcuts on the home screen for websites.

16. If you are talking about MSN Messenger, Microsoft has killed it off. They are integrating it into Skype, which is coming to BB10.

17. The file manager is pretty good. It will access files from internal memory, SD card, Box, and Dropbox.

18. One minute is the minimum for timing out. There is an option to lock the device once holstered. And yes, it does have the ability to use the sleep magnet in holsters.

19. Currently, you can't uninstall twitter, or other pre-installed apps. You can delete them, but get update reminders for the current OS until you do. The best thing for now is to move the icons into a folder to move them out of sight. The ability to remove these apps is supposed to be coming in a future update.

20. Not sure about subtitles, since I don't have any videos that include them. There are several 3rd party app options for playing videos, though.

21. The latest update included more settings for bedside mode, including the ability to let phone calls ring through. It works fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 06:16 PM
    I am also interested in knowing if you can create distribution lists for contacts. I have 5 different volunteer orginizations that I send e-mails out to and the lists are fairly long. It would be nice to have this ability again.
    Contact groups aren't in the contact list yet. It is something that a lot of people have been asking for, and BlackBerry has been pretty good at listening and updating. Hopefully this is added back in soon.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 06:18 PM
    2.Can i set up word substitution? on the legacy os, I did a lot fo bbcode, so when i typed bb it turned into and ii was [i]. Can I do this in bb10?
    haven't done it, but I'm led to believe yes you can, including a macro e.g. that inserts today's date, or the time, into the substitution
    Oddly, the Macros in Word Substitution still work (as per blackberry criteria here). But there is no reference to them on any of the menus. I still find it a pain that I am going to have to re-enter all my Substitutions from my 9780.
    05-13-13 06:58 AM