I've been using Skype video a lot on my z10 and notice significant battery drain - 20% drop in 10 minute. My wife has an iPhone and her's only drains 2-3% in the same amount of time.

Also the back of the z10 gets incredibly hot during the call. I'm running OS. 1925.

I noticed that skype video turns in the GPS, which may account for some of the battery drain and heat.

Has anyone else noticed this as well? Is there anyway to disable the GPS from turning on?

Please no comments telling me I should be using BBM.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 10:38 PM
    More info: I disabled GPS on my z10, started up skype and made a video call. I no longer see the GPS signal in the upper left and the battery didn't get than got and the battery life seemed ok.

Puzzling why skype would turn on the GPS if it doesn't need it. I don't really want to keep the GPS disabled.

Anyone have any thoughts. This seems like it's a skype bug

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 03:11 PM
    Go to your applications permission screen and remove Skype gps permission.
    01-23-14 03:12 PM
    It does not allow you to remove any permissions for skype. It shows location permission is on but the button to turn it off is grayed out.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 03:16 PM
    It does not allow you to remove any permissions for skype. It shows location permission is on but the button to turn it off is grayed out.

Posted via CB10
    Riiight...its android. I forgot.
    Turn off location services on your settings.
    The downside is its off for apps you want it on for.
    01-23-14 03:21 PM
    Do other apps that use gps cause the same issue??
    Maybe it's just Skype in general
    Bbm video causes the phone to heat up and drain fast too. It might just be all of the resources involved, mic, camera, screen, speaker, radio all at once.
    A lot of games do it too.
    01-23-14 03:23 PM
    It's a good question. I only notice the GPS signal on when skype and maps are on. Even though a number of app have the GPS permission in they don't actually use it.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 03:27 PM
    That app is a POS, lol what do you expect from Microsoft, the rear camera doesn't work with video call, phone losses a lot of battery, doesn't work on mobile network except if it's in the mood and duplicates your contacts ( just in case you like to see twice of everything lol).

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:54 PM
    Thanks for the wine, wish it had been a 20 year old Bordeaux. Posts like yours are not helpful, just to let you know.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 04:11 AM
    For some, to us users, unknown reason most of the android apps use location services. That's not just on BB10 it's a behavior on android phones as well. Why does sports center need your location? Nobody knows...

Actually let's stop pretending they use it to collect data and in the process it drains your battery.

And as far as the Skype goes make sure to check your phonebook as you'll see multiple instances of each Skype contact that just grows as days go by. At one moment i had four instances of all my Skype contacts even though i had option Do not sync turned on. It was a pain to erase it all.

Don't hold your breath that Microsoft will make it native. Most likely blackberry will make it as a part of BB10 before we see any official update to it
    01-29-14 04:59 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I've run some tests and found the battery life has less to do with the location service and more to do with skype video. I can live with it for now as I only use it to talk with my wife while on the road.

As for android tracking including skype I'm getting into the habit to keep my location private and only turn it in if I need maps.

As far as the duplicate contacts, I'm not seeing this problem. I'm running exchange sync so maybe this has something to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:20 AM