How do we solve the problem of unencrypting the backup in case of the phone being stolen?
    Or is the backup in the clear?
    Thank you in advance.

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    06-14-14 12:43 AM
    I'm under the impression that an encrypted media card is tied to the specific device ID. ONLY that device can un-encrypt the SD.

It's very secure but this has burned me in the past. Only encrypt your SD card if it's absolutely necessary.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    akavbb likes this.
    06-14-14 01:14 AM
    Confirmed.
    06-14-14 01:33 AM
    What if I unencrypt, then backup and then encrypt again?
    Will that process take for ever?
    Is it unsafe for the SD?
    06-14-14 02:00 AM
    What if I unencrypt, then backup and then encrypt again?
    Will that process take for ever?
    Is it unsafe for the SD?
    It would take forever and it's probably safe for the SD if you have one of a good quality. SD cards can crap out at any time though.

Try it and report back. No guarantees of anything on my end though.

06-14-14 09:39 AM
    If the phone is plugged into a PC/Mac, is an encrypted SD visible as a network drive? If it is, I suppose you can back it up by copying the files to your PC.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 10:24 AM
    How do we solve the problem of unencrypting the backup in case of the phone being stolen?
    Or is the backup in the clear?
    Thank you in advance.

The device backup through Link does not backup data on your SD card. You will want to either use Link's (weaksauce) syncing capabilities for the folders on your SD card or find another way to copy/backup the files to your PC.

The encryption is at the file system level, not on each individual file, so as you copy or backup things off of the SD card through Link's drive mappings, you don't have to worry about encryption following the files.

The encryption key lives on the device, and as best I can tell there is no way to move the key to a new device (through a device backup and restore). So if you move your encrypted SD card to a new device, you will need to reformat it. I am pretty sure the BlackBerry OS now thankfully warns people of this when you turn on SD card encryption because I am not sure the warning was in 10.0 but I could be wrong) .

My 64GB SD card took over two days to decrypt in my Z30, and it was painful not only in the delay but the increased battery drain through the day as the decryption ran in the background. Granted that was when the card was formatted FAT32, as ExFAT might be faster (not sure what file system you are using).

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 10:57 AM
    Thank you all for your help and information.
    I will see what I will do and I will report as soon as I decide and have results.
    Thank you again.

06-14-14 04:17 PM
    If the phone is plugged into a PC/Mac, is an encrypted SD visible as a network drive? If it is, I suppose you can back it up by copying the files to your PC.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but you'd just be copying the encrypted data over which is worthless without a key (that can't be unlinked from the device). He'd need to decrypt everything on the phone first, then transfer it to an external hd, then re-encrypt.

06-14-14 05:13 PM
    Yeah, but you'd just be copying the encrypted data over which is worthless without a key (that can't be unlinked from the device). He'd need to decrypt everything on the phone first, then transfer it to an external hd, then re-encrypt.

If the phone is in the middle of the file transfer, like with a USB connection to the phone, then it encrypts and decrypts file going to and from the SD card as it is handling the file exchanges. The encryption is on the file system level, not on each individual file.

If you try to bypass the phone by plugging in the card to another computer, then it is unreadable.

06-14-14 07:10 PM
    Regarding BB10, if the media card is encrypted and somebody steals the media card, would it be unreadable? To most people anyway, without having the knowledge to try and crack it? Having a removable media card is the only flaw I see in the security that BB10 brings so I've decided to turn encryption on. Just backing up and syncing atm.

Thanks
    06-21-14 03:55 AM
    Regarding BB10, if the media card is encrypted and somebody steals the media card, would it be unreadable? To most people anyway, without having the knowledge to try and crack it? Having a removable media card is the only flaw I see in the security that BB10 brings so I've decided to turn encryption on. Just backing up and syncing atm.

Thanks
    Yes. This is stated if you go to Settings --> Security and Privacy --> Encryption:
    Question. Best way to backup encrypted SD card?-img_20140621_073832.png

Essentially the key used to decrypt the volume is only stored in the OS of the device that encrypted the card. That key is protected by a mandatory device password.
    That's why if you wipe the device you lose access tot the encrypted card, because the OS where the key is stored is wiped (along with the key).

06-21-14 06:43 AM
    The only problem with the encrypted and card is that it seems to take longer to take a photograph (I don't know if this has been fixed in 10.2 as this was the original problem when I got my z10 last year at launch) .

What I do is to just back up occasionally after un encrypting my card though..

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:27 AM
    Cheers. Any idea How good the encryption is if somebody had physical access to your media card and wanted to decrypt it?
    Also do you need to decrypt the media card before doing an OTA official OS update? Or if you update OTA does the OS keep the encryption key and encryption can be left on?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 09:30 AM
    Cheers. Any idea How good the encryption is if somebody had physical access to your media card and wanted to decrypt it?
    Also do you need to decrypt the media card before doing an OTA official OS update? Or if you update OTA does the OS keep the encryption key and encryption can be left on?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    It meets the rigorous FIPD 140-2 standard, which means it's good enough to protect HIPAA information. It doesn't get much better than that for mobile devices.

If you are doing a non-destructive update, which an OTA update qualifies as, then no you don't need to decrypt your device or card first as the key used to encrypt both is maintained during the upgrade.

Jonny-R likes this.
    06-21-14 03:24 PM
    The only problem with the encrypted and card is that it seems to take longer to take a photograph (I don't know if this has been fixed in 10.2 as this was the original problem when I got my z10 last year at launch) .

What I do is to just back up occasionally after un encrypting my card though..

Posted via CB10
    I haven't noticed a speed difference on my class 10 card. Then again I have only been using OS 10 since 10.1 and I am on the 10.2.1 MR.

You don't have to unencrypt your card to back it up. You just have to back it up through Link as that tunnels the connection through your phone which leverages the encryption key in the device OS. This is of course slower than popping the card out of the phone and sticking it into a laptop for a backup, but considering the time it would take to decrypt and then re-encrypt the card after the backup is complete, you are probably better of going through the Link tunnel as it is less steps.

06-21-14 03:28 PM
    It meets the rigorous FIPD 140-2 standard, which means it's good enough to protect HIPAA information. It doesn't get much better than that for mobile devices.

If you are doing a non-destructive update, which an OTA update qualifies as, then no you don't need to decrypt your device or card first as the key used to encrypt both is maintained during the upgrade.

Thank you for your help :-)

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    06-21-14 04:32 PM
    And how do I backup the SD through Link?

06-22-14 02:43 AM
    And how do I backup the SD through Link?

When you have your phone connected to your computer either through a USB cable or Wifi, and Link is running, you will see two extra drive letters show up that you can copy files from.

You can also use Link's less than stellar file syncing capabilities to sync folders from your SD card to your computer. I have used that a lot, because as long as Link is behaving on my computer my phone automatically syncs when I walk in the house at night because it connects to Wifi.
    Here is a quick how to I found searching on the Web that looks right at first glance:
    http://m-support.verizonwireless.com...5095.tp_2.html

akavbb likes this.
    06-22-14 10:13 AM
    HotFix could you help me working out what's going on?

My device and media card are encrypted. I decided to plug my phone into my laptop to see what happened re USB mass storage. Everything is viewable and nothing is encrypted. I locked the phone, plugged it in, and the drives to both storage areas mapped and I was able to view and transfer files without the phone being unlocked?

How can that be correct behaviour?

Thanks for any help

EDIT: I think it was the setting in Link for "automatically start Link when device connected". This was authenticating my device without needing to input a password. Seems to be all ok

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jonny-R; 06-22-14 at 12:18 PM.
    06-22-14 12:02 PM
    HotFix could you help me working out what's going on?

My device and media card are encrypted. I decided to plug my phone into my laptop to see what happened re USB mass storage. Everything is viewable and nothing is encrypted. I locked the phone, plugged it in, and the drives to both storage areas mapped and I was able to view and transfer files without the phone being unlocked?

How can that be correct behaviour?

Thanks for any help

EDIT: I think it was the setting in Link for "automatically start Link when device connected". This was authenticating my device without needing to input a password. Seems to be all ok

Posted via CB10
    That is the correct behavior as you discovered. It's really nice if you have file syncs set up in BlackBerry Link, like with the Photos folder, because they auto sync when you get back into your local WiFi range.

I stopped syncing photos because I use OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) because it auto syncs my Photos folder for me whenever I am in range of ANY WiFi I have a connection set up on. Cloud based backup of photos from anywhere > local computer WiFi BlackBerry Link sync > nothing.

06-22-14 01:04 PM
    When you have your phone connected to your computer either through a USB cable or Wifi, and Link is running, you will see two extra drive letters show up that you can copy files from.

You can also use Link's less than stellar file syncing capabilities to sync folders from your SD card to your computer. I have used that a lot, because as long as Link is behaving on my computer my phone automatically syncs when I walk in the house at night because it connects to Wifi.
    Here is a quick how to I found searching on the Web that looks right at first glance:
    http://m-support.verizonwireless.com...5095.tp_2.html

So it is not a link specific procedure. I can just drag and drop while connected to link.
    Am I right?

And of course thank you!!!

06-22-14 02:06 PM
    So it is not a link specific procedure. I can just drag and drop while connected to link.
    Am I right?

And of course thank you!!!

Correct. Link mounts your internal device storage as one drive letter and your SD card storage as another drive letter under My Computer/Windows File Explorer. From there it's as simple as drag and drop, and Link proxies everything to your phone and makes the encryption transparent.

You are most welcome!

akavbb likes this.
    06-22-14 05:28 PM
    Ok, I just encrypted the SD and I am now performing a backup with winmerge while the phone is connected to USB.
    Link is also activated.
    All going smooth for the time being.
    06-23-14 09:53 AM
    Excellent.

Sometimes BlackBerry gets it right, and presenting the two device storage locations as drive letters in Windows through BlackBerry ink was a good idea (even if it is slow).

06-23-14 09:10 PM
32 12