Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default question about BBM on BB10

following on from this post here about how data plans are handled on BB10, does anyone know if BBM is still sent via RIM servers in Canada?

Previously, this assured you that:
    1. the communication was secure/encrypted (that's what got RIM in trouble in Dubai/UAE all those years ago)
    2. not using any of your data allowance, even for sending pictures
    3. FREE to use when roaming e.g. in a different country (because of point 2).

Does anyone know the hard answer here, in BB10? With maybe a source?

thanks
    ==========================================
    - Avid fan of BB 9700 and 9850 - the 5mp camera addition made life so much easier (even though it was fairly crap!). Waited a long time for a Q10, including being 5 months past my 'upgrade' date from the carrier - lost my nerve and got the Z10 1st Feb 2013. Probably switching back to a 9900 while I wait for OS fixes/upgrades. Proud Londoner (that's in the UK, guys!)
    http://www.thorstenfixplease.co.uk/
    CrackBerry Addict

Can't comment on #1 and #2 but BlackBerry's official stance appears to be that all BBM data is routed through its NOC in Canada *with* exception of BBM Video and BBM Screen-sharing which are routed on a peer-to-peer basis.

This is stated in the official video about BBM on BlackBerry's YouTube channel (length of 1:49, not the shorter one) at youtube .com / user / BlackBerry and also at:

1) Not sure
    2) Anything on your phone uses data and roams. Unless you're specifically talking about over wifi, then it still works over wifi for free
    3) If on wifi, yes. Just like the old BB OS
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    1) Not sure
    2) Anything on your phone uses data and roams. Unless you're specifically talking about over wifi, then it still works over wifi for free
    3) If on wifi, yes. Just like the old BB OS

No. For (2)/(3).... BBM never used up your data allowance (talking about O2 in the UK, might be carrier/country specific) even when you were off wifi. Of course, it used data - it just didn't count, in which case it also meant you didn't get charged.

I only know this because I relied on BBM in various countries during my travels and did not come back to see ANY roaming charges. It's basically what makes BBM so much cooler than e.g. WhatsApp (well, and encryption). :-)
    - Avid fan of BB 9700 and 9850 - the 5mp camera addition made life so much easier (even though it was fairly crap!). Waited a long time for a Q10, including being 5 months past my 'upgrade' date from the carrier - lost my nerve and got the Z10 1st Feb 2013. Probably switching back to a 9900 while I wait for OS fixes/upgrades. Proud Londoner (that's in the UK, guys!)
    CrackBerry Addict

BBM data is only free *if* your carrier gives it away for free or includes it under another plan. Some carriers offer free or cheap BBM, others offer free or cheap BIS. However, with the iPhone being so successful with no freebies, carriers are reluctant to give stuff away or miss an opportunity of charge for something.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

in the UK I can't think of a carrier who charges for the "blackberry functionality" - a few years back they did, but in recent years no. This made BBM even more super!
    CrackBerry Abuser

In the UK, you have to pay 5 GBP monthly on Orange and Vodafone PAYG to get the blackberry service active and for BBM to stay active every month.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by TheHK View Post
    In the UK, you have to pay 5 GBP monthly on Orange and Vodafone PAYG to get the blackberry service active and for BBM to stay active every month.
    really?? TIL
    CrackBerry User

and T-mobile still have 5 per month or 20 for 6 month add-ons for BIS.
    Giffgaff is 3 per month on top of the cost of a goodybag for BIS.
    CrackBerry Master

I think the OP is talking about the set BIS packages you could get in some countries on legacy OS.
    We have it here as well, its R60 p/m ( 4 or $6) and included all BIS services (BBM, App World, E-mail, browsing etc) didnt need data bundles because everything was included in the BIS Package.

If this is what you are talking about OP then the simplest way to put it is that, BB10's require data for everything in the same way that an iPhone or Android would.
    That said BB Services, like BBM, are still running through the NOC in Waterloo.
    8300 >> 8520 >> 9900 >> Z10 >> Z30
    Playbook 32GB
    Believe