I've looked around on here a bit and have been unable to answer this question. On the 10.3.1 leaks, do Android apps successfully run in the background and provide "push" notifications?

I am referring to those apps where in previous OSes, you had to leave the app open (minimized) in order to receive alerts. Have the new 10.3.1 options to control Android apps functioning in the background helped fixed the lack of notifications? Or is it the same old?

And yes, I understand that there is no google play services! I'm currently on 10.3.0 (official version) on the Passport and only one of my Android apps has push notifications (Yahoo sports), because it is not dependent on google services. But then something like GroupMe, which is google services-dependent, does not get alerts unless the app is already open.
    11-15-14 03:28 PM
    I don't have any push notifications on any Android apps. at all.
    11-15-14 03:48 PM
    But but, what about all the others?

"I sideloaded Groupme using Snap and its working flawlessly on my Z10/Q10/Passport etc."
    "Don't worry about BlackBerry not getting the office 365 app. I have it sideloaded and it works perfectly"
    11-16-14 06:36 AM
    I've looked around on here a bit and have been unable to answer this question. On the 10.3.1 leaks, do Android apps successfully run in the background and provide "push" notifications?

I am referring to those apps where in previous OSes, you had to leave the app open (minimized) in order to receive alerts. Have the new 10.3.1 options to control Android apps functioning in the background helped fixed the lack of notifications? Or is it the same old?

And yes, I understand that there is no google play services! I'm currently on 10.3.0 (official version) on the Passport and only one of my Android apps has push notifications (Yahoo sports), because it is not dependent on google services. But then something like GroupMe, which is google services-dependent, does not get alerts unless the app is already open.
    Some do, some don't. I'll receive notifications from Kik, Tango, and a few other android apps that are not active on screen.
    just_luc likes this.
    11-16-14 07:06 AM
    I'm using the Z30 on 10.2.1.3062 and all my apps are working fine for notifications

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 09:32 AM
    Some do, some don't. I'll receive notifications from Kik, Tango, and a few other android apps that are not active on screen.
    That's my experience as well. Some android apps send notifications to the hub. Others do not. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Must have something to do with the triggers the dev's used in their code.. some apps also never used to give notifications and then do after an update.. once in a while an app that used to no longer does after an update... Tapatalk specifically seems to give me updates for some forums that I'm subscribed to but bother others while it gives me notifications for all forums on my android tablet.. figure that one out!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 10:30 AM
    That's my experience as well. Some android apps send notifications to the hub. Others do not. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Must have something to do with the triggers the dev's used in their code..
    If I'm not mistaken, apps that depend on Google's GCM for notifications won't give you notifications on your BlackBerry. I suggest we email the app developers and suggest that they use an alternative. Some already do.
    11-16-14 11:46 PM
    There is definatly a change in 10.3.1.
    Im using 1151 at the moment and the newest version of Telegram seems to do background notifications, this didnt work on 10.2.1... but i really havent done much testing yet, i also didnt try the same version of telegram on 10.2.1. Maybe you have to start the app once after reboot? A friend wrote me a few messages after i closed the app (max 5 min after closing) and all appeard correctly in the hub.

Another app that now works fully in the background is xabber, a very good, opensource xmpp client. This one now starts (if you want to) automaticly after a reboot and shows in the hub that your account is online. You can also start the app manually and the close it again and it will stay connected and receive messages. You have to close the app through the apps exit function or forcekill it through the hub by deleting the "account online" notification, it then asks you if you want to close the app.

As said before some apps had background notifications in 10.2.1 (installed through snap), ebay is one that pops into my head reminding me of ending auctions and items.

For me this is great, i really missed notifications on those two apps without having to keep them open all the time. I also really like the possibility to display the original android (interactive) notification in the hub.... maybe this could be better integrated in the future but its a great addition none the less.

Still hoping for a native telegram version with real hub integration tho, but it seems like i may be getting this as christmas gift soon.
    11-25-14 12:18 PM
    Sadly, none of the sports apps and banking apps that I've tried (Score, ESPN, American Express, etc) have working notifications. At least in my experience.
    11-25-14 12:26 PM
    I've always gotten notifications on greader, WWF, UberSocial, Pandora shows the song in notifications, OneNote shows when syncing
    11-25-14 12:30 PM
    I've always gotten notifications on greader, WWF, UberSocial, Pandora shows the song in notifications, OneNote shows when syncing
    How did you install gReaderPro? I just got the Passport Saturday, and I have gReader Pro on my Note 3. I have downloaded Snap, but I can't find the gReader bar file because it says on the screen, "You don't have access to Google Play Services" ...YES I know, but I looked at Lucky Patcher, but I don't think the Developer has gReader.
    12-01-14 11:41 PM
    How did you install gReaderPro? I just got the Passport Saturday, and I have gReader Pro on my Note 3. I have downloaded Snap, but I can't find the gReader bar file because it says on the screen, "You don't have access to Google Play Services" ...YES I know, but I looked at Lucky Patcher, but I don't think the Developer has gReader.
    I don't have the pro version but the regular one but I'm on a Q10 so not sure if it's just not available to Passport? I used Snap to get it. You want the apk?
    12-03-14 11:01 AM