Hey All,

Just a quick note following up today's OS update for BlackBerry 10, that the updates are definitely pushed out by the carriers.

So if you have a factory unlocked BlackBerry (like the pre-release models or ones that came unlocked at the Launch events, etc.), the updates you receive will be based on your SIM.

So if you're in Canada on Rogers/Telus with a factory unlocked unit, you may have received an update. If you're in the USA, not yet.

Not sure if that's how it will be done long term or just for now, but that's the scoop as I type this at least.

Kevin
    02-28-13 06:07 PM
    Good to finally have some clarification on this, thanks Kevin. Although I was thoroughly against carrier updates in the past, this first update was ridiculously fast for an update that the carriers dealt with. Wouldn't mind carrier-released updates if they can keep this pace up!

Having said that there are still quite a few carriers who may end up lagging behind, so ultimately it would be better if BlackBerry could take control of the updates one day. Here's hoping!
    02-28-13 06:11 PM
    Thanks Kevin for the info. I was just asking in the other thread about when the UK versions of the z10 will get this update.

Shame that it's the carrier that controls the updates :/. Would have been better if blackberry would control the updates rather than the carriers.

Posted via CB10
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-28-13 06:24 PM
    I'll disagree its tied to your imem which is tied to your carrier as a registered device via imem to carrier and not the simm.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 06:30 PM
    I'll disagree its tied to your imem which is tied to your carrier as a registered device via imem to carrier and not the simm.

Posted via CB10
    If it were tied to the IMEI, unlocked phones in other countries would receive the updates from their original carriers - but as Kevin stated, they aren't getting them.
    Lumute likes this.
    02-28-13 06:32 PM
    Sigh.. I want the update too

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 06:50 PM
    I do have a factory unlocked one and still haven't received any updates. I live in Bahrain somewhere in the Middle East. Any idea what to do?
    02-28-13 07:27 PM
    I do have a factory unlocked one and still haven't received any updates. I live in Bahrain somewhere in the Middle East. Any idea what to do?
    I spoke someone I know who is doing these tests for BlackBerry and he saying that they received 10.0.10.648 and they are testing it, why they did not get the 10.0.10.672 !!!

Blackberry should really do the update push by them self, with our carrier we are doomed man

Posted via CB10
    digitalman101 likes this.
    02-28-13 07:45 PM
    Nothing here on Telkomsel, Indonesia. Possibly coming after official launch on March 4th.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 07:52 PM
    I spoke someone I know who is doing these tests for BlackBerry and he saying that they received 10.0.10.648 and they are testing it, why they did not get the 10.0.10.672 !!!

Blackberry should really do the update push by them self, with our carrier we are doomed man

Posted via CB10
    Totally true man! Our country sucks @$$ and we are the last person when it comes in terms of technology and mobile communications. If BlackBerry is not thinking of pushing updates by themselves and not carries somewhere in the future, then we are TRULY doomed for live!

And by the way, at least they got an update for 10.648, I'm still sitting at the original software version that came up with the device already. How did they managed to get that update? Why not me? And why, also, they haven't yet received for 10.672? Really not fair at all to me.
    02-28-13 07:56 PM
    Would removing sim and checking for updates do anything? Thinking out loud.
    02-28-13 07:57 PM
    Totally true man! Our country sucks @$$ and we are the last person when it comes in terms of technology and mobile communications. If BlackBerry is not thinking of pushing updates by themselves and not carries somewhere in the future, then we are TRULY doomed for live!

And by the way, at least they got an update for 10.648, I'm still sitting at the original software version that came up with the device already. How did they managed to get that update? Why not me? And why, also, they haven't yet received for 10.672? Really not fair at all to me.
    Rim is pushing it to certin devices for the staff who suppose to test, they collect their pin and send them an OTA.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 08:06 PM
    Would removing sim and checking for updates do anything? Thinking out loud.
    I think it's possible to get an update via link without a sim card inside, the question is how is that happening if true?
    02-28-13 08:10 PM
    I think it's possible to get an update via link without a sim card inside, the question is how is that happening if true?
    I have connected my Z10 to link the moment I got the news of the update release over OTA and after checking if any OTA reached my phone both the OTA and Link have no updates, crap

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 08:17 PM

So if you're in Canada on Rogers/Telus with a factory unlocked unit, you may have received an update. If you're in the USA, not yet.

Kevin
    Interestingly, we are in the US on vacation with our Canadian Telus Z10. We're connected to AT T roaming, and using wifi whereever possible.

We still got the update today!

I highly doubt Telus is beaming this to us through AT T to us inthe US?
    02-28-13 08:17 PM
    Interestingly, we are in the US on vacation with our Canadian Telus Z10. We're connected to AT T roaming, and using wifi whereever possible.

We still got the update today!

I highly doubt Telus is beaming this to us through AT T to us inthe US?
    Actually Telus would know. You are roaming in the US, you are not using an ATT SIM and on a home network.

Not sure about that...I just tried via Link using device restore and this is what I get...an old version of the OS.
    Attached Thumbnails PSA: OTA OS Updates on BB10 tied to Carrier SIM card-psa-ota-os-updates-bb10-tied-carrier-sim-card-blackberry-forums-crac_2013-02-28_18-17.jpg  
    02-28-13 08:19 PM
    I have connected my Z10 to link the moment I got the news of the update release over OTA and after checking if any OTA reached my phone both the OTA and Link have no updates, crap

Posted via CB10
    Which country? I have a feeling the carriers in your country didn't get the update yet.
    02-28-13 08:20 PM
    Not sure about that...I just tried via Link using device restore and this is what I get...an old version of the OS.
    Well what I think happens is if you want to restore your device, you'll be downloading the first OS available on launch. Not sure why it says it is an update
    bobshine likes this.
    02-28-13 08:23 PM
    Which country? I have a feeling the carriers in your country didn't get the update yet.
    We live in Bahrain. My carries are too lazy to be releasing OS updates. If this is true that the carries will be pushing on those updates, then this is really a bad news to us!
    02-28-13 08:23 PM
    I think if BB is committed on pushing the updates to the carriers then you will get the update soon, if not then a long wait...
    02-28-13 08:40 PM
    We live in Bahrain. My carries are too lazy to be releasing OS updates. If this is true that the carries will be pushing on those updates, then this is really a bad news to us!
    try taking out the sim card and updating. some users have said the update shows up. let us know if it works.
    02-28-13 08:44 PM
    try taking out the sim card and updating. some users have said the update shows up. let us know if it works.
    This did not work for me. I tried plugging into BlackBerry Link without the sim and it showed a older version of what I had installed on the phone lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 09:02 PM
    I think that is the OS build that is globally accepted by all carriers BlackBerry supports then. Maybe later when all supported carriers are upgraded then the update from link without a sim card will be changed too.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 09:14 PM
    I'm dissapointed that updates are still tied to SIM cards if I have an unlocked device, was hoping BBRY would have the power to push updates to agnostics phones at least.
    02-28-13 09:15 PM
    Welcome to the wild and wacky world of OTA carrier updates.... more "fun" to come.,,, I am sure....
    02-28-13 09:20 PM
117 123 ...