Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,042 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Problems with Contacts app

Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 04-28-2014 at 05:55 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Grumblegrumble (07-16-2013) 
    kenicolo, OniBerry, rai187 and 2 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is this a common problem with bb10 users? I haven't had any issues with the contact at all.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Real Estate Appraiser View Post
    Is this a common problem with bb10 users? I haven't had any issues with the contact at all.
    I have specific issues with the same contact cards over and over. It seems to have trouble with a few things:

- Where linked accounts have different names.

- Where Social Media accounts are formed and then emails are linked to them,

My suspicion is that the various contact programs out there support social networking accounts but not in the same way. This leads to problems with syncing social media data across - say - BlackBerry contacts, the Mac contact book, GMAIL and iCloud.

if it's just a regular account with no social media account attached, I tend to have no problems.

My experience with the Contacts is almost exactly like that of RubberChicken76.

After migrating all my contacts to one synched list, and with careful linking, I have a squeaky clean list. So, it can be done, but it certainly shouldn't take as much effort as it did.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Contacts is an absolute disaster. The only good thing is the speed it takes for contacts to show up in an email list. I have linked fb and active sync contacts incorrect, I have them show up in a very weird order when typing their name into an email, and after I fix the links, I've done a backup and restore and they get messed up again. I also have contacts in what's app show the number only, even though they're in my contacts list (unlinking with fb and relinking fixes this). Also, if I want to edit a contact, I have to make sure that the main contact is my active sync one otherwise I can't edit any stuff.

Global Posts
    8,485 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask and ye might receive

Contacts aren't anything spectacular for me, but one of my contacts has a middle name that doesn't actually exist due to his Skype profile name. I can't change that, which bugs me.

Edit: Turns out I can. 10.2 is awesome.
    Last edited by thurask; 07-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    Rock over London, rock on Chicago. Passport. Work wide.
    CrackBerry User

No matter what I have duplicate contacts!!!!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,085 Global Posts

I wouldn't mind if they fixed up the contacts in 10.2 which sounds like they did. But I just used to making every single message out of the HUB. Waaayyy better than using contacts.

Basically if you start typing on the "to" line there's no glitches there. All contacts are there.
    CrackBerry Master

Yeah, contacts are a mess, it takes me several hours and several reboots to sometimes get my list the way I want it to.

Still sometimes people disappear, or today I deleted someone by accident, because the contacts app decided to stop working for no reason. It's absolutely awful and I would like to see it worked on ASAP

Posted in the pooper
    CrackBerry User

I agree, my experience of contacts is a mess

Posted via CB10
  11. BGK
    CrackBerry Genius

It's a bit messy right now but I'm confident that things will be cleared up in the next few OS updates.
    BGK
    libertybk on Twitter
    Canada/USA
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts

I must be in the minority - I have no issues with Contacts. They're brought in from Gmail, Facebook and LinkedIn, and they're linked properly unless the names are different (in only a few cases).

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    No thanks!

The Contacts idea is great... reality it needs to be tweaked, duplicate contacts and not able to edit names gets annoying.

Posted via CB10
    PROUD BLACKBERRY Z10 & PLAYBOOK 64GB WIFI OWNER
    CrackBerry User

I didn't need to read more than the title to know I need to raise my hand to this.

I get tired of seeing a text from an obvious friend/contact, but when I go to contacts they aren't even listed. If it's going to use Facebook info for contact information, it needs to request me to add to sim or something.

And of course there were tons of problems with the linking. It makes me feel like I wish I could go back to before I got the phone and actually figured it all out and set it up correctly the first time.

It was a completely new feature to me and it got me lost.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianbordas View Post
    The Contacts idea is great... reality it needs to be tweaked, duplicate contacts and not able to edit names gets annoying.

Posted via CB10
    A "duplicate contacts" detect and merge feature would be wonderful. It isn't perfect on Mac or Gmail either, but it goes a long way to reducing clutter

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Contacts is a mess. Don't believe me? Try the following. Add a piece of data to a Facebook only contact. Suddenly, you have a "Local Contact" linked to your account. Can you sync it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I hate hate hate the contacts app to the point I've began memorizing numbers again. And the solution would be simple. Allow us to completely purge our contact list, and then when we recreate new entries:
    1. Input manual data (name, number, email, twitter, etc). Hit next.
    2. BB searches your social media for that info but DOESNT add anything.
    3. Next screen, checkboxes for what accounts you want linked to that contact. Hit next.
    4. Next screen(s) select what info you want to sync from each social account. I like having things like friend count and profile photo in there. I HATE that I can't delete the FB phone numbers that are almost always wrong/out of date.
    I think the worst part is that it pulled ALL my fb contacts. There are a LOT of people on there I want to stay in touch with but absolutely never call. I don't need all 800 of them spamming my contacts. Even with the FB list off they still turn up in search, which is all I ever use.
    Ugh. I've said it before and i'll say it again, if they don't do something about this i'll be jumping to android.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    mousky (07-16-2013) 
    mousky and Jim Banks1 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This gets a +1
    CrackBerry User

I hate that for a Local Contact that has a linked BBM profile it puts a "Invite to BBM" button in the contact display. Ooops, I guess some forget to add some code to not display the invite button when a contact is linked to BBM. That is plain lazy.
    CrackBerry Genius

I gave up on linking all my contacts across different accounts. I just fix them as I go.

On a side note, the guy responsible for Contacts and Calendar on BB10 "left" the company last week (e.g was almost certainly fired) .

Rumor is that Thor is really dropping the hammer on management now.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,259 Global Posts

I just discovered what I think is what you want. In the contact app, select the account on the left side of the screen, ie: Yahoo, and then click add... your new contact should be added to that account.I did one that way an hour ago on my Z10 and just now went to my HP desktop and the contact was added there in my Yahoo Contacts. Same as in my Contacts on my Z10.
    Rockin' a Black STL100-4...Z10 10.3.1.1154, Debug Token ...on Verizon, 64 GB WiFi Playbook.
    HP Elite M9340f Quad Core, OCZ 64GB Vertex 3 SSD +1TB HDD, Vista SP2 Media Center Edition, 6GB Ram,
    Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel with Pedals and Shifter.

Contacts doesn't bug me because I find I never need to go into the app. 4 years of webOS trained me just to start typing a contact name to access, phone, sms, email etc. So that is what I continue to do in BB10 and it is cake. I will agree going into the app is scary, I also have the advantage that my FB list is sub 100, adding my twitter contact is a little weird because that's a large number of people/organizations/etc that I don't know IRL.
    Panda (white battery door black Zed)
    STL-3 OS 10.2.1.1055 if you dunno, you better ask somebody, this OS is awesome, it's only getting better
    CrackBerry Abuser

My contacts always repeats itself I have a bunch of contacts repeated

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Contacts doesn't bug me because I find I never need to go into the app. 4 years of webOS trained me just to start typing a contact name to access, phone, sms, email etc. So that is what I continue to do in BB10 and it is cake. I will agree going into the app is scary, I also have the advantage that my FB list is sub 100, adding my twitter contact is a little weird because that's a large number of people/organizations/etc that I don't know IRL.
    Lol....youre actually right. I never noticed that. I only need the contacts when I need to add a contact. It is still aggravating that they don't link properly and that when I went through and adjusted the contacts between sim and device it just reverted back and actually left me missing contacts.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

The main issue is cutting and pasting contact info (like the phone number and email address) into an email when you don't want to use a .vcf...you cant just press on the phone number and "copy", when you press the number only "call" is available. This was easy on OS7.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast