Ok..maybe I am missing something but I see a big problem with the peek function. If I am in the HUB and choose to look at a message/BBM/Text and then leave (without going back into the HUB) and access another application (say web browser), if the LED flashes that I have a message and I go to "peek" I will see the message/BBM/text that I was previously looking at (not the HUB). I need to then go into that message (leaving the web browser or whatever), swipe it away to see the HUB...and negating the whole point of the peek. The OS should be intelligent enough to know that when a new message is received, the peek should always show the HUB. If I am wrong on this please tell me but if peek is the BB 10 bread and butter, it really needs work.
    02-06-13 02:13 PM
    This has been covered a few times that I remember. It will hopefully be corrected in future OS updates.
    02-06-13 02:21 PM
    But it takes you to what you were doing last, that in itself is a good feature I would think. OS 7does the same thing so it really isn't that suprising that this happens...start reading or writting an email on OS7 then switch apps to go to the browser (not using the back button but holding the menu button) exit the browser then go back to messages and there waiting is whatever you were doing before you left. I don't see this as a flaw, I see it as an aspect of previous BB OS's that has been brought to BB10.
    02-06-13 02:24 PM
    I can see what you mean to an extent but look at it in this scenario..... What if I'm in a BBM conv and wanted to go find content to relay to the person. So I'd go to an app, find what I wanted, then an easy swipe right back to the converstation. I'd rather not swipe back tot he hub, to reopen the conversation I was in.

There's no real winner here as it could be argued either way but I guess they assume that when you're done, you'll close it.
    rjkolo likes this.
    02-06-13 02:25 PM
    But it takes you to what you were doing last, that in itself is a good feature I would think. OS 7does the same thing so it really isn't that suprising that this happens...start reading or writting an email on OS7 then switch apps to go to the browser (not using the back button but holding the menu button) exit the browser then go back to messages and there waiting is whatever you were doing before you left. I don't see this as a flaw, I see it as an aspect of previous BB OS's that has been brought to BB10.
    Ok fine I see that but then you are not really peeking at anything. Rather than seeing your notification icons at the top of the screen all the time, you are swiping up and to the right to see the icons which is an extra step. Peek should go a step further and show me who I received a message from and choose to either read it or go back to what I was doing. The is what Blackberry promotes as the advantage to peek.
    02-06-13 02:43 PM
    I can see what you mean to an extent but look at it in this scenario..... What if I'm in a BBM conv and wanted to go find content to relay to the person. So I'd go to an app, find what I wanted, then an easy swipe right back to the converstation. I'd rather not swipe back tot he hub, to reopen the conversation I was in.

There's no real winner here as it could be argued either way but I guess they assume that when you're done, you'll close it.
    The way around this is for the OS to always show the HUB when you have a new message/notification. If there is nothing new, it can take you back to where you just were as you suggested
    recompile and raremage like this.
    02-06-13 02:44 PM
    The way around this is for the OS to always show the HUB when you have a new message/notification. If there is nothing new, it can take you back to where you just were as you suggested
    But I can get 10 emails, texts, bbms, fb notifications within a minute sometimes. If I'm having a conversation with someone, and need to go get info from somewhere else a few times, I don't want my current conversation being trumped for incoming. That would, all of a sudden, negate the benefits of multitasking, if I constantly have to "re enter" my work and disrupt my workflow.
    02-06-13 02:50 PM
    But I can get 10 emails, texts, bbms, fb notifications within a minute sometimes. If I'm having a conversation with someone, and need to go get info from somewhere else a few times, I don't want my current conversation being trumped for incoming. That would, all of a sudden, negate the benefits of multitasking, if I constantly have to "re enter" my work and disrupt my workflow.
    Not really, because any messaging app (minus texting, which will hopefully be addressed later) will have its own app aside from the hub. Then you can just open the app and keep your conversation open as long as you want, and when looking at the hub, it'll show you new alerts. You can already do this with BBM, for example. just leave the actual BBM app open to your conversations and leave the hub at the top.

In my opinion, it should definitely show new alerts. They could even let it go back to what you were doing if you actually go to the home screen and swipe to it. Realistically, even if you were having a conversation, you would need to go into the hub to reply...so allowing peek to be a quick view of new notifications is important.

Either way, it's not a huge issue since you can just scroll back to the top when you're done using the hub. A little bit inconvenient at best...
    02-06-13 03:02 PM
    Having separate apps to launch for messaging and to hold in active frames makes the hub almost redundant. If I get a text, want to go copy and paste something from, lets say twitter, get a new emai, I can half swipe up to see what sort of message I got, but I'd also like to copy, and simply swipe back to my current message to complete what I was doing, not swipe back to the hub, to reopen that text to finish what I was doing. I'm not going to have multiple active frames open simply for messaging. That just makes the hub redundant.
    02-06-13 03:17 PM
    I think you would more often want to peek then to check info
    02-06-13 03:23 PM
    I think you would more often want to peek then to check info
    You missed my point... I don't want the message I am actively in closed because of a new incoming message, while while I'm gathering info from somewhere else. While I'm in the message itself, I can still peek at what's new. By closing it, it would be saving a draft and bumping it, for something that may, or may not, be of any interest me.
    02-06-13 03:43 PM
    You go back to what you are still doing in the hub. That's fair enough. If you had finished the action in the hub you should have have swiped it away. Tidy up your socks while you're at it! Seriously though I can see the sense in both arguments. As it is just remember to swipe away what you have finished doing in the hub.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-06-13 03:52 PM
    By swiping it to the right.
    02-06-13 03:56 PM
    Ok..maybe I am missing something but I see a big problem with the peek function. If I am in the HUB and choose to look at a message/BBM/Text and then leave (without going back into the HUB) and access another application (say web browser), if the LED flashes that I have a message and I go to "peek" I will see the message/BBM/text that I was previously looking at (not the HUB). I need to then go into that message (leaving the web browser or whatever), swipe it away to see the HUB...and negating the whole point of the peek. The OS should be intelligent enough to know that when a new message is received, the peek should always show the HUB. If I am wrong on this please tell me but if peek is the BB 10 bread and butter, it really needs work.
    That was exactly the point I was trying to make in another thread. In iOS i can just pull up and go stright into my message. In BB 7 if was even easier. This method is total crap & is counter intuitive to the quick shortcut feature I always loved from Blackberry.
    02-06-13 04:07 PM
    That was exactly the point I was trying to make in another thread. In iOS i can just pull up and go stright into my message. In BB 7 if was even easier. This method is total crap & is counter intuitive to the quick shortcut feature I always loved from Blackberry.
    Did you read the thread?
    02-06-13 06:55 PM
    a lot of people see this as a problem... but i think it is really good. If you are in a bbm or text convo that is going back and forth it saves you the hassle. If you are checking email or reading a message that doesnt require a response/convo then YOU can turn back to the main page of the hub, but what is worse:

1: having to go into the hub automatically and then click on a conversation to enter it EVERYTIME
    2: having to press the back/hub button once in a while because it doesnt take you to the main page

for example... right now i dont have many people on BBM bc i had an iphone. so if im chatting w my gf in bbm I leave that convo and when she msgs me back i go into the hub AND STRAIGHT into the convo. If i have the feeling that we wont be messaging for a while send my last message and then go back into the main hub page. I think it saves MUCH more time like this because I am using so many less motions to enter the convo with her, and if something comes up while doing that i just have two extra motions. So two extra motions once in a while is better than one motion ever time i try to check a message.
    02-06-13 07:11 PM
    It's obvious that some like the Hub the way it is and others would like to see it default to the entire message list and not the previously viewed message everytime you exit the Hub. BlackBerry can overcome this in one of 2 ways.

Either make it an option to have the Hub functionality stay as is or default back to the entire message list every time you exit the Hub. Or BlackBerry can have the Hub default back to the entire message list after a certain amount of time out of the Hub. The length of time can be determine by the user from a list of options (i.e. 2, 5, 10 min, etc)

BlackBerry has always been great and allowing personalization of your device so it wouldn't surprise me if option 2 was already in the works and coming with the first software update available
    raremage likes this.
    02-06-13 07:33 PM
    a lot of people see this as a problem... but i think it is really good. If you are in a bbm or text convo that is going back and forth it saves you the hassle. If you are checking email or reading a message that doesnt require a response/convo then YOU can turn back to the main page of the hub, but what is worse:

1: having to go into the hub automatically and then click on a conversation to enter it EVERYTIME
    2: having to press the back/hub button once in a while because it doesnt take you to the main page

for example... right now i dont have many people on BBM bc i had an iphone. so if im chatting w my gf in bbm I leave that convo and when she msgs me back i go into the hub AND STRAIGHT into the convo. If i have the feeling that we wont be messaging for a while send my last message and then go back into the main hub page. I think it saves MUCH more time like this because I am using so many less motions to enter the convo with her, and if something comes up while doing that i just have two extra motions. So two extra motions once in a while is better than one motion ever time i try to check a message.
    I see both sides. Your scenario makes sense, but it's not particularly ideal when you have more than one conversation going on at once along with emails or other notifications coming in while doing other things. I would have an extremely difficult time believing that the behavior we're seeing at launch isn't how the application 100% was designed. BlackBerry Hub is one of the main features/functions of the operating system, and there is simply no way that development and QA wouldn't have focused a SIGNIFICANT portion of their test strategies on many of the use cases / user stories mentioned in this thread in regards to the Hub. Had this actually been a bug, this is the type of thing that would've easily been caught in system or field testing long before end users would've had their hands on it. Now that customers and even some reviews are chirping about it, we'll likely see some minor changes down the road here (maybe giving users the option to choose the behavior they prefer?) but I wouldn't expect to see any major shifts in the functionality. Just my .02!
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-06-13 08:00 PM
    My solution would be to have the hub always open where you left off when you swipe to it, and when the screen gets turned off, it will go back to the home screen. That way, if you're still mid-conversation with someone and you're trying to copy and paste something for that person from the browser (just as an example), you could go straight back to the conversation you were just in.
    raremage likes this.
    02-06-13 08:15 PM
    My solution would be to have the hub always open where you left off when you swipe to it, and when the screen gets turned off, it will go back to the home screen. That way, if you're still mid-conversation with someone and you're trying to copy and paste something for that person from the browser (just as an example), you could go straight back to the conversation you were just in.
    I was just going to say that. This seems like the best of both worlds.
    02-06-13 08:44 PM
    I agree with the OP, ive been frustrated by this maybe 6 times in 2 days of owning a Z10. More times then not your new notification isnt what you were last useing. So your adding steps rather then saving them. Id be willing to even count the potential extra steps you have to take. its that noticable.

My solution is have the Hub stay where you left off when your swiping back and forth through your screens. from hub to your last icon grid. But when you swipe up and to the right to peek or just get to the hub in general it should reset. likes yours but one step further. Because you only swipe up when your busy doing something, typically in an app. And at this point its a complete gamble whether or not your new notification will be the last one you used. One with horrible odds
    02-06-13 08:49 PM
    It's obvious that some like the Hub the way it is and others would like to see it default to the entire message list and not the previously viewed message everytime you exit the Hub. BlackBerry can overcome this in one of 2 ways.
    Except (from what I've read so far) it DOESN'T do this everytime. It only does this when you leave a hub message open, so the app thinks you're not done. I'd agree that they should make it an option, but I think most people would easily adapt in a quick time to remember to close their hub message when they are done with it. Very easy and practical solution instead of waiting for BBRY to take care of it for you.

How many people on a regular pc just leave an e-mail or message open when they are done?
    02-06-13 09:10 PM
    Yeah Im also in the camp that would prefer it the way it is. But it is clear that people would like the choice to change it. It would definitely be very frustrating to a lot of people if every time you left the hub and went back in it automatically went out of that last message.
    02-06-13 09:16 PM
    Would it kill them to put a MESSAGES icon at the bottom of the screen or at least in the apps ribbon?? They've got a BBM one so why not?
    02-06-13 10:10 PM
    I know its been said right here in this thread a lot already but its already been covered... A lot... It was even a first page on the crackberry blog. So please people... Read more before you post. You aren't the only one...
    02-07-13 12:23 AM
33 12