If I dont want to have my phone broadcast the modem name, is it possible to have it not broadcast the SSID of the phone when in hotspot mode? Similar to how how you can do that for normal wireless modems?
    07-05-13 07:16 PM
    Yes you can hide the SSID. Go to the network settings, press the box with the check mark. Next screen touching the network brings up an option screen.

Cranky
    07-05-13 08:31 PM
    Really? I dont see that option? Maybe my OS is an old version? So you said goto Mobile Hotspot and under settings you can select not broadcasting the SSID? I dont see mine have this..

Do you mean you can join wireless of routers with hidden SSID?

I meant when you use your phone as the hotspot emitter, can you hide the phone's SSID? I dont see this option at all?
    07-05-13 09:03 PM
    I think that I misunderstood.

I didn't find an on/off switch, but u have your SSID set to a blank just by hitting the space bar one time then saving it.

Cranky
    07-05-13 09:33 PM
    I know you can connect using your BB10 to a wireless modem that is having its SSID not publically broadcasted.

However I am not aware you can use your phone as the mobile hotspot but not broadcast the SSID out of security concerns of others not conencting to you (other than just having a good password). Damn, they should definitely add this. Wouldnt be hard to do I'd imagine? I dont see why they'd force someone to broadcast the SSID. Too many fraudsters and free riders ready to peggy back people's wifi this should come standard nowadays.
    07-05-13 09:39 PM
    I believe hiding the SSID is really, really low level security. My SSID at home is hidden but my Z10 sees it just fine (after I install leak for example) on initial set up.
    The only security concern is having a good password on your wireless.
    07-06-13 08:28 AM
    If youre a pro you can probably sniff it. Its more to stop free riders from even attempting or knowing what you're doing. Most people are not professional haxors and are more technically challenged here. They are pretty low level. If their own phone's wifi says it sniffs nothing, then they wont know any better there is a wifi signal.

Say you are in a restaurant on your laptop. Youre actually online too using your phone as a hotspot. People wouldnt have known you were online, but since they have a phone and scanned the wifi network and saw maybe your phone there, all of a sudden they deduced what you're doing. I mean thats just a stupid example, but it points out a benefit of hiding the broadcast of the SSID. Theres the security aspect and then there is the need to know aspect. Why leave this option out?
    07-07-13 12:53 AM
    If youre a pro you can probably sniff it. Its more to stop free riders from even attempting or knowing what you're doing. Most people are not professional haxors and are more technically challenged here. They are pretty low level. If their own phone's wifi says it sniffs nothing, then they wont know any better there is a wifi signal.

Say you are in a restaurant on your laptop. Youre actually online too using your phone as a hotspot. People wouldnt have known you were online, but since they have a phone and scanned the wifi network and saw maybe your phone there, all of a sudden they deduced what you're doing. I mean thats just a stupid example, but it points out a benefit of hiding the broadcast of the SSID. Theres the security aspect and then there is the need to know aspect. Why leave this option out?
    Or if you can Google and install software you can find the network. Hiding the BSSID won't make you secure. If you are using Wi-Fi you are sending out radio signals that are being recieved by all Wi-Fi enabled devices in the area. The only question is whether or not there is a script kiddie trying to break in. Any one who really cares if you are using Wi-Fi on your laptop will have the tools needed to find out.

Use WPA2 and a good pass phrase.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:04 AM
    I wish we had this option on OS 7.1 even. If used at work I don't want others seeing it.
    07-07-13 09:09 AM
    Hiding isn't security. Making it difficult to use after discovering is security. Discovering is fairly easy. Breaking security after it is difficult.

From STL100-1
    07-07-13 10:02 AM
    Or if you can Google and install software you can find the network. Hiding the BSSID won't make you secure. If you are using Wi-Fi you are sending out radio signals that are being recieved by all Wi-Fi enabled devices in the area. The only question is whether or not there is a script kiddie trying to break in. Any one who really cares if you are using Wi-Fi on your laptop will have the tools needed to find out.

Use WPA2 and a good pass phrase.

Posted via CB10
    The point is its one extra barrier. I dont think there are that many professional hax0rs roaming around the street or scammers using ready-made scripts sniffing around. Hiding the SSID is just one extra level of safety whether it helps or not. Its like how you wash your hands before eating. Reality is it probably doesnt make a huge difference, especially if the water is dirty or the food you are eating was dirty. But it helps as peace of mind.

The other important reason why hiding SSID is good is privacy and Need To Know. Sometimes you want privacy and not allow some random stranger with a wifi to be able to sniff the fact you are holding a Q10 or what you are doing. Like the other guy above said, if he was at work broadcasting wifi for say his ipad or laptop, he doesnt want the guy in the cubical next to him, to be able to scan the fact he has a wifi signal going.
    07-07-13 10:14 AM
    Hiding isn't security. Making it difficult to use after discovering is security. Discovering is fairly easy. Breaking security after it is difficult.

From STL100-1
    Not just security. Privacy. Need to know. Why let some random stranger realize you have a wifi signal going. Same thing with bluetooth.

Here is another example. Was in hotel rooms and sometimes when I turn on the bluetooth for my own devices, I scanned other devices around. All of a sudden I realized my hotel neighbor was the owner of such and such device. Honestly I cared not to know this. This is information nobody else should need to know, but a thief all of a sudden has more information about their targets if they are scooping around.

Same thing with wifi. Why let people know youre on wifi. Now, even for the non professional hax0rs and script users. Lets talk about really low level ordinary people. They use their device and detect a wifi signal. THey themselves dont have internet or wifi access. So maybe they will try logging onto yours for the sake of it. A lot of people do this. Especially when they are scrambling around to find a way to go online. Heck I think everyones done it sometime in their life. But the point is, why let these guys even attempt to log onto your mobile hotspot. I'd like them to stay as far away as possible. Just like a gated property with lots of undeveloped land bordering your home. Stay behind the gates and off the grass!
    07-07-13 10:19 AM
    Not just security. Privacy. Need to know. Why let some random stranger realize you have a wifi signal going. Same thing with bluetooth.

Here is another example. Was in hotel rooms and sometimes when I turn on the bluetooth for my own devices, I scanned other devices around. All of a sudden I realized my hotel neighbor was the owner of such and such device. Honestly I cared not to know this. This is information nobody else should need to know, but a thief all of a sudden has more information about their targets if they are scooping around.

Same thing with wifi. Why let people know youre on wifi. Now, even for the non professional hax0rs and script users. Lets talk about really low level ordinary people. They use their device and detect a wifi signal. THey themselves dont have internet or wifi access. So maybe they will try logging onto yours for the sake of it. A lot of people do this. Especially when they are scrambling around to find a way to go online. Heck I think everyones done it sometime in their life. But the point is, why let these guys even attempt to log onto your mobile hotspot. I'd like them to stay as far away as possible. Just like a gated property with lots of undeveloped land bordering your home. Stay behind the gates and off the grass!

Life Hacker
    , look at item number 8.
    07-07-13 01:29 PM

Life Hacker
    , look at item number 8.
    I know you can sniff it. Again not everyone has these tools and around them all the time. Certainly I dont think there are any iphone, ipod or android app for this, at least not publically and certainly not many people have it.

Its about privacy as well. You dont want others to know you are doing wifi hotspot.

Its also to prevent people from even attempting to connect to you. Even if they are no hax0r and dont have the wifi sniffer and cant break passwords, they can still do the dumb method of just pressing try to connect and get rejected. Why even give them this opportunity to try to connect to you? If you are hidden then it stops all this trouble. Now all you need to worry about are the elite hax0rs and script users. These are much more rare. Meanwhile everybody with a wifi on their device can see and try to connect to your hotspot.
    07-07-13 01:37 PM