View Poll Results: Z10 - How do you type?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Touch

8 9.20%
  • All Flick (or mostly all)

10 11.49%
  • Blended Touch and Flick

69 79.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Poll - Do you "Flick-type" on your Z10?

Just curious. I tend to just bang out messages with both thumbs when in a hurry -- which works amazingly well in portrait mode on the Z10, just like on an older qwerty BlackBerry. Man the keyboard is spot on.

But I have been practicing the flick-typing as well. One thing that really helps in learning the flick-typing is to self-train your flick as being on the 2nd letter in the word -- as I have found anyway. So if I am typing "I am coming home soon.", I think about the flicks being on "m", "o", "o", and "o" for example. Though some words you can get on the first letter and yet some it takes several letters for the prediction to catch it. Of course this gets better and better as you train it.

But for me now I find myself thumb typing and then blending flicks here and there. If I use all flicks I am definitely slower at this point.

How's everyone else doing with this?
    robkd and bigbadben10 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ditto. However, with older eyes (+40), it's sometimes hard to discern the flick words. I have to really watch what I've 'typed' before I press send. I wish there was a way to adjust the size of the flick words.

Posted via CB10
    Mike
    -----
    Z30+64
    PB 64
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    PIN
    3301e407

I really like this feature. Very much enjoy using it.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. - George Carlin

BlackBerry Z10 (White)
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32gb

PIN
    32FE97BA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Smile

Be sure to hit up the poll please.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    PIN
    24F1671B

Can't see the poll with the CrackBerry application but I am usually a flick typer.

On some occasions I will just bang out a message with both or one thumb, this is usually when I am in a hurry. When I am casually sitting down like right now, I will flick type.

Generally l will flick type for long messages or when am in a casual, comfortable position. I will bang out messages when I am in a rush.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 8900< BlackBerry 9000+BlackBerry 8100< BlackBerry 6210 (Dont ask)<BB 9000< BlackBerry Z10!

Proud BlackBerry PlayBook owner.
    Proud BlackBerry Z10 running BlackBerry 10 owner.
    Thanked by:
    crazeee4u (04-01-2013) 
    southlander likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    528 Global Posts

Can't see poll but I totally flick type.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I thumb type, but I'm going to make an effort to try flicking more. See if it makes me any faster or accurate.

Posted via CB10

PIN
    32FE97BA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by cl8baller View Post
    Can't see the poll with the CrackBerry application but I am usually a flick typer.

On some occasions I will just bang out a message with both or one thumb, this is usually when I am in a hurry. When I am casually sitting down like right now, I will flick type.

Generally l will flick type for long messages or when am in a casual, comfortable position. I will bang out messages when I am in a rush.

Posted via CB10
    I am working more on the flick typing since I think it is faster once the KB gets trained up and I get trained up as well (LOL).
    lboogie_1971_ likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Don't use the flick a whole lot myself. The auto correct is so good, I am really able to crank out messages at a brisk pace.

It would take quite a bit of practice for the flick feature to actually be faster than regular typing.. for me at least.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Zed10
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by MPG Vancouver View Post
    Ditto. However, with older eyes (+40), it's sometimes hard to discern the flick words. I have to really watch what I've 'typed' before I press send. I wish there was a way to adjust the size of the flick words.

Posted via CB10
    There is a way to adjust the size. They're called reading glasses
    It took me a while to accept it (late 40's) but eventually it pays to give in to father time and see your optomitrist.

I like using the flick typing. I'm probably using it about 50% of the time.

Posted via CB10
    Z30
    southlander likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Coming from the iPhone, I LOVE the flick typing.

Posted via CB10
    "Illness is the most heeded of doctors: to goodness and wisdom we only make promises; pain we obey." Marcel Proust
    "In minds crammed with thoughts, organs clogged with toxins, and bodies stiffened with neglect, there is just no space for anything else." Allison Rose Levy

Motorola Razr maxx V6 -> HTC Touch -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 -> BlackBerry Z10!
    southlander likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

When I'm typing on my PC I keep thinking how inefficient it is having to hit the exact keys all the time and it not automatically correcting me. Also want to flick when I know the z10 would have figured out what I mean by now.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I couldn't seem to get the hang of the flick typing. I even watched the keyboard demo video on the BlackBerry site and you see it done but they don't explain how so I have been thumb typing. I like landscape better as you get a bigger keyboard but too bad that does not work in the CB app. Yesterday I did practice the flick typing and had more success. Maybe with more practice I will use it more. It is a cool thing to show people if you are good at it.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

I flick type as much as I can. I switched to the aggressive substitution option and found it more powerful.

I would sure be excited if you could somehow flick an 's' or other suffix onto the end of words rather than having to hit the backspace key after the flick.

Posted via CB10
    Boring signature.
    CrackBerry Addict

Usually use it when I'm texting with in hand.

Wagwan.
    CrackBerry Addict

I thought it was a gimmick that I'd get bored from after a while. Now, the longer I've owned the phone the more I use it.

It's especially good for addicts who can't seem to let go of their Z10s despite the other hand being occupied

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    PIN
    xxxxxxxxx

Flicking is where it's at.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,495 Global Posts

Depends really, sometimes I flick and sometimes I thumb type. What I have noticed is going sometimes I go to flick a word and it won't flick up...usually its my fault, haven't really got used to the whole flicking thing lol. I find it especially if the word is above the space bar, I go to flick and find that the keyboard minimises...especially when I'm in BBM.

Posted via CB10
  19. BL3
    CrackBerry Abuser

I only pretty much use it when I'm using the phone with one hand

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    5,415 Global Posts
    PIN
    C001230B3

Flick typing is what stops me from going back to my Bold 9900/waiting for the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Z30 Telus STA100-5 (10.x.x.xxxx)

Z10/Q10/Q5/Z30 radios: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...rchive-833333/

The Greatest Music of All Time: C001230B3
    CrackBerry Abuser

I almost exclusively touch type because I can type very fast on this keyboard. The time it takes me to check and see if the word suggestion is what I want can be better spent just typing the word I want.

I only use flick typing if I'm not able to use both hands and it happens to suggest what I want to say (which is usually not the case unless I'm typing a very typical email with proper english (no slang)).
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask

Yes at times it is faster.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks
    Robert
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,378 Global Posts

When I don't forget, I love flick typing.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    32FB6072

It's is a nice feature and I don't use it quite enough yet, but I find it faster to type and have it auto correct (much better than an iOS btw) than look to see what "Flips" thinks I want, but if I don't know how to spell I definitely use it a lot.

Posted via CB10
    -Nate
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

There are some phrases that I use more often and the phone has learned that, so I flick those ones up quickly because I know that it will predict it correctly. Other than that, I use it for one-handed typing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast