At home I have a dlna setup and don't need that feature but when I am traveling the safest way to get some movies on a TV would be hooking up my Q10 via HDMI to the TV and start playing the mkv with VLC or Kalemsoft.

But does that work at all? Using 3rd party app and still output over HDMI?

Sent from my Q10
    01-15-14 09:50 AM
    At home I have a dlna setup and don't need that feature but when I am traveling the safest way to get some movies on a TV would be hooking up my Q10 via HDMI to the TV and start playing the mkv with VLC or Kalemsoft.

But does that work at all? Using 3rd party app and still output over HDMI?

Sent from my Q10
    Yep , the HDMI will output anything: games, netflix, crackle, kalemsoft, etc.. Even the phone's menus and whatnot are displayed. The only issue is that unlike the stock/oem media player app, which has the "PlayOn" feature, which can output video to fill your entire TV Screen (it matches the resolution of the display you are outputting to) 3rd party apps will only fill the centre of your TV display. You can use the TV's zoom feature to get a larger image, but it wont be as nice as the PlayOn feature...
    01-15-14 10:01 AM
    Yep. Some hotel TVs look out inputs and only use the paid services though. But when it works it is great. Even better is playing from the PlayBook and using your phone as a remote. Sweeeeet

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 10:10 AM
    Ok not filling the entire screen with 3rd party apps is bad news. I am not interested in loosing quality on a 720p movie because I have to zoom in. So there is no way to get good quality with native resolution on the TV via HDMI? Since the built in player won't play my mkvs and I don't wanna recode them.

Sent from my Q10
    01-15-14 10:30 AM
    the native player will play any mkv file. The only problem is the audio decoder in Z10/Q10/Q5 does not support AC3 audio codec. Additionally you should try kalemsoft media player which plays nearly everything and is available on BBW for both BB10 and PBOS.

mkv is only a file container, it is the enclosed audio/video data which may be encoded in an incompatible format.

EDIT: I see that you use kalemsoft already. Yes, 3rd pary apps will also work but the 3rd party app must support HDMI. (Not sure if kalemsoft supports it as I only use HDMI for gaming).
    01-15-14 10:36 AM
    Yeh it looks like they don't support HDMI the way I need it. So bottom line is that I cannot do it the way I want.

Sent from my Q10
    01-15-14 11:01 AM
    Yeh it looks like they don't support HDMI the way I need it. So bottom line is that I cannot do it the way I want.

Sent from my Q10
    I know you dont want to re-encode the files, BUT, if you do choose to, theres a nifty little program called Xenon MKV, which will take the audio track from your mkv video, re encode it in AAC (which our berries support) and then incorporate the audio track back into the mkv. End result is an mkv which will play on your blackberry. The upside is that it doesnt touch the video, and as such the reencoding time is significantly less.

It'd be nice if the dev for kalemsoft included the PlayOn feature in the app...
    01-15-14 01:27 PM
    Yeh I desperately need an app that gets my mkvs to any TV or home entertainment system. Reencoding is not an option because it is a unnecessary step that I don't wanna do. Also I don't wanna lose 5.1 sound.

Sent from my Q10
    01-15-14 04:09 PM
    Apparently kalemsoft would need to be completely redesigned using cascades to get the Q10 display through hdmi properly. Not sure if that will happen.

Too bad the built in player can't do it.

Sent from my Q10
    01-16-14 12:07 PM
    Apparently kalemsoft would need to be completely redesigned using cascades to get the Q10 display through hdmi properly. Not sure if that will happen.

Too bad the built in player can't do it.

Sent from my Q10
    Did the dev tell you that? That's unfortunate. Too bad there wasn't a way to install codecs into the bb10 media player

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 10:40 PM
    Did the dev tell you that? That's unfortunate. Too bad there wasn't a way to install codecs into the bb10 media player

Posted via CB10
    Yeh he was wrote it somewhere in his thread.

Sent from my Q10
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-17-14 02:52 AM
    I've heard of miracast dongles that might do the trick.
    From what I understand the dongle has a hdmi output and plugs into Tv. It also has a usb input for power which can be connected to tv usb or any usb charger.
    Once the dongles is in the TV you can pair your BlackBerry 10 phone to it using wifi direct. It should then be possible to use "play on"
    Only one problem Miracast Dongles are quite new and its not clear if they all support all phones, dont see why they would not? Some seem to come with Android apps but its not clear whether you really need to use an App this might just be part of the marketing?
    01-20-14 11:43 AM
    Well the play on feature only works for the built in player though.

Sent from my Q10
    01-20-14 12:18 PM
    Ok understand. Stock media player wont play your codec, surprisingly your tV will so dlna is solution with your tv. But even if you could use dlna elsewhere some tvs will have same problem as q10 and you cant use dlna on a hotel tv. I've found my tv plays almost nothing "file not supported" half the time so have opposit problem. Hdmi cable works ok for me apart from annoyance of having a cable.
    It still might be possible to get full screen over miracast.
    Once we get os 10.2.1 with android support it might be possible to use a miracast dongle and play videos through the related android app?
    Last edited by gg bb; 01-20-14 at 04:59 PM.
    01-20-14 03:44 PM
    Worth adding for anyone with same problem although you probably tried this -
    Under settings, display on your q10 you can change the hdmi output screen size. The choice to do this is only visible when hdmi cable is in use.
    Think you can choose 720 x 576 or something like that.
    I'd screen shot but Im not hdmi tv connected at the moment.
    01-20-14 03:57 PM