This is some good insight - you know, coming from an actual user. Thanks OP'er.

Im happy that there are some really cool things happening in the beta version of the OS. For this type of excitement with obviously a somewhat 3/4 baked OS excited me. I along with many other hope that the cons become pros at launch.

Good stuff.
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-19-12 08:54 PM
    I hope the paint won't chip away over time like my 9810 or 9800
    Now this is just my personal feelings so I could easily be wrong here, but from looking at the device top to bottom, with the back cover off, battery out, etc. I think the polycarbonate is actually black to begin with, it didn't feel like it was painted on like Torches were.

Thanks for anwsering these all of these questions. I really hope that RIM's UI team is reading all of these comments and suggestions and making some some serious considerations since they still have 40 days and I hope that they let TAT have a final run through of the OS and add in all of there of little touches. As well if someone wants to they can tweet this link to @BlackBerryScoop since he knows the RIM UI team and even said he sent the concerns from Ebscer's article to them.
    Honestly I don't know if there's enough time. What I'd like to see is a few settings, one professional setting where it skips the flashy animations, another for people who wants the eye candy but not at the expense of efficiency, and the 3rd where they throw the kitchen sink at the UI to attract the regular consumers.

Thanks for answering the questions. All your constructive criticisms in regards to the lightness of the device and the look of the UI don't really concern me, so I'm very excited.

Did you get to try the media player? Did they keep the volume key functions where you could hold down the increase or decrease volume keys to change tracks? I'm assuming they did.
    We all should be very excited, it really is a gigantic leap from what we have now! It's just that I feel there needs to be more flash and effects to win over the regular consumer who are attracted to these things. Speed, logic and efficiency aren't attributes to mainstream consumers if they feel the UI is boring, this is important.

I did open the media player, but the device had nothing media related loaded on it so I couldn't test the player out.

Yeah I think I wanna ask him about the eye-candy in BB10. That's what makes WP8 appeal to the general public, and if BB10 doesn't have all these cool effects many people will criticize BB10 for being boring and no wow factor.

Sent from the world's (once) most powerful smartphone.
    +1.

I'm really surprised that we haven't heard much regarding UI animations. I mean Apple is getting hammered by a lot of people for having a blend UI, I'm not sure having less eye candy than iOS is the right move for our brand new OS of the future.
    Or maybe RIM is hiding the real UI tricks for Jan 30, and is looking to blow all our collective minds then. Dunno if that's the case, but I hope so.
    12-19-12 09:23 PM
    First, I would like to say thank you for letting us in on L - series. this is a very insightful moment.

Also if you have time, it would be awesome if you could copy & paste all Q&A's in your first post for people to read I imagine this topic going to become long. (don't if you don't want to)
    and here are my questions if you can answer them.

1. How fast does the phone feel, I assume its using final hardware for the processor. Are you getting any lag out of gestures or opening, closing or running apps.
    2. Screen Resolution? Is it any different from them Dev Alpha's?
    3. Camera hardware? did you get a chance to play with the camera at all. And what are your impressions?
    jerryeight and FuzzyFish like this.
    12-19-12 09:27 PM
    So you are going to stick to the N series? How certain are you although you haven't tried it yet?

I am interested in the N series more than the L series, but I get the sense that the L series is where all of the focus has gone. I have a 9860 right now and for awhile it seemed like everything was about the 9900. Themes, accessories and games were only available for the bold. I can't really say if the N series will be treated this way because I know nothing, but Kevin mentioned in the podcast that the N series might (probably) get less apps because the full touch is where RIM is putting their focus. I understand that a lot of people get the qwerty's for their messaging capabilities, and that most apps will probably go to both devices because of how easy they made it for the developers. I am just surprised by what seemed to be a commitment to the keyboard version (that you haven't tried) versus the touch screen which you said was the best you've used as far as virtual keyboards go. What makes you not like it? Build quality was something you mentioned, but since you haven't gotten a chance to check out the build quality of the N series how can you know it wont be the same? Boil all that down to - What are you hoping or expecting the N series will do better or have going for it? I am worried about the UI not being as great because of a keyboard, but I love the keyboards. I recently used my Ex's 9900 and I missed a physical keyboard...asked her to trade....she didn't go for it.
    12-19-12 09:35 PM
    First, I would like to say thank you for letting us in on L - series. this is a very insightful moment.

Also if you have time, it would be awesome if you could copy & paste all Q&A's in your first post for people to read I imagine this topic going to become long. (don't if you don't want to)

1. How fast does the phone feel, I assume its using final hardware for the processor. Are you getting any lag out of gestures or opening, closing or running apps.
    3. Camera hardware? did you get a chance to play with the camera at all. And what are your impressions?
    I had a chance to play with one also for a good 5 min. So I can answer some of your questions, the phone was really fast and snappy, even the reboot took less than 30secs, don't quote me on that as I did not time it. Right away I felt right at home with swipes, it was very obvious very much like the PlayBook.

Don't know about the resolution

I took a couple of pictures and they looked great and i also tried that time shift, don't know if that's how its called and it works very well it was fun to move back and forth in time.
    FuzzyFish, jerryeight and jesse_h like this.
    12-19-12 10:05 PM
    RIM has defined their public as people on the go and people that do things. With such profile in mind, the 'nice animations' are not priority or even important. To be honest, I played around with wp 7.x some time ago, it was great on the beginning all the cool stuff, but after a while, I could not care less or even I considered as distracting. Once wp8 follows the concept, pretty sure I will resist temptation ;-)

Personally, I hope that BB10 brings functionality and elegance. I want (minimalism) elegance on the UI and UX.
    I understand "People Who Do" is the niche, but RIM can't just rely on this segment going forward if they want to win back users. With the super heavy emphasis on games for BB10 they're obviously going for younger or at least young adult demographic. Yes BB10 devices are tools first and foremost, but it's also a toy when you need it; isn't that the point of BB10 in the first place? To catch up on the multimedia side of things where BBOS was left in the dust by the competition?

I'll try to do so tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion!

1) No lag at all, everything was very snappy and satisfying to use. It takes about 1/2 a second to start a fresh app, and re-opening apps from their Active Frame was immediate. When you open the BB Hub it doesn't follow your finger 100% but instead has a slight rubberband feel to the animation, which was fine and I think done on purpose. It's most definitely faster than the GSIII, Note 2 and iPhone 5, no questions about it.

Having said that, the L Series I tried was very fresh. But even compared to a new GSIII or Note 2, it's no comparison.

2) I've never seen a Dev Alpha in person, so I can't answer the question unfortunately. The screen on the L that I used was extremely sharp and had awesome viewing angles, there was no colour fade at all. Nobody will be disappointed in the screen.

3) Didn't have a chance to play with the camera unfortunately. This is important to me so I hope someone else can answer the question. Maybe I can get ahold of the device again later and report back.

So you are going to stick to the N series? How certain are you although you haven't tried it yet?

I am interested in the N series more than the L series, but I get the sense that the L series is where all of the focus has gone. I have a 9860 right now and for awhile it seemed like everything was about the 9900. Themes, accessories and games were only available for the bold. I can't really say if the N series will be treated this way because I know nothing, but Kevin mentioned in the podcast that the N series might (probably) get less apps because the full touch is where RIM is putting their focus. I understand that a lot of people get the qwerty's for their messaging capabilities, and that most apps will probably go to both devices because of how easy they made it for the developers. I am just surprised by what seemed to be a commitment to the keyboard version (that you haven't tried) versus the touch screen which you said was the best you've used as far as virtual keyboards go. What makes you not like it? Build quality was something you mentioned, but since you haven't gotten a chance to check out the build quality of the N series how can you know it wont be the same? Boil all that down to - What are you hoping or expecting the N series will do better or have going for it? I am worried about the UI not being as great because of a keyboard, but I love the keyboards. I recently used my Ex's 9900 and I missed a physical keyboard...asked her to trade....she didn't go for it.
    I'm pretty sure I'll stick to the N ya, the QWERTY keyboard is basically the 9900 keyboard in a straight configuration. I was hoping the on-screen keyboard of the L Series would be okay for my use, but it wasn't; the actual keyboard itself was great for a virtual keyboard, but the "hero" feature for me was the swipy word prediction and there's no way I'll take advantage of that feature without dramatically altering my typing style (either slowing down or typing with one hand, if you're a average speed typer or only types with one hand, then you'll absolutely LOVE this keyboard), which I'm not willing to do based on how much I type on my devices every day.

I can't tell you (because I don't know) what RIM has planned for the N Series and whether they're focusing on the full screen L, but I doubt it. RIM knows they'll have diehards who will only buy the QWERTY and there's no way they'll alienate this super loyal customer base, I think they're focusing on the full screen L Series right now because that's the model that needs the buzz and they need the public to know that they're serious in the full screen game.

There's nothing wrong with the built quality of the L Series, I can't stress that enough. It's just that we've been spoiled by the 9900 with the metal band (which everybody is moving away from) and I'm preconditioned to think quality stuff has heft; if you take out this pre-conceived notion of weight = quality then the L Series is every bit as nice in feel as anything out there right now (minus the iPhone 5, which isn't as nice in feel as the 4/4S IMO).
    Don't worry here, nobody will ever pick up an L Series and think "man this phone feels cheap".
    NaijaBerry likes this.
    12-19-12 10:13 PM
    what he ask^^^^ (assuming sex is male)
    12-19-12 11:26 PM
    When you open the BB Hub it doesn't follow your finger 100% but instead has a slight rubberband feel to the animation

I noticed the "rubberband feel" to the BB hub as well from the few videos posted online. Any specific reason to that?

How would the dimensions compare to the SGIII?
    12-19-12 11:48 PM
    I think one of the best quotes I've heard or read from Thor is that RIM knows that they have the 'Qwerty experience' mastered, they've prove that over and over again and customers don't need to be reminded about that. Instead they wanted to focus and prove to the world that they can create a "Full-touch" experience. That's why there's so much push for the L-series. A qwerty devices with a RIM logo will sell it self.
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-20-12 12:05 AM
    what he ask^^^^ (assuming sex is male)
    The who now?

When you open the BB Hub it doesn't follow your finger 100% but instead has a slight rubberband feel to the animation

I noticed the "rubberband feel" to the BB hub as well from the few videos posted online. Any specific reason to that?

How would the dimensions compare to the SGIII?
    I'm thinking RIM wants to make sure anyone who does the Hub gesture gets into the Hub, so once your finger gets past a certain threshold the page springs over. It'd be kind of annoying if people have trouble accessing one of the main feature of the phone. Just a guess.

No other instances in the UI that I've found has the same rubberband feel. The Peek gesture follows your finger, same if you simply swipe from the launcher to the left to access the Hub; pretty certain the rubberband effect is by design.

Much smaller than the GSIII. Best comparison is ever so slightly narrower than the 9900, but about 1" taller and 3/4 the thickness. I haven't picked up an HTC 8X, but it looks similar in size. It's also comparable to the iPhone 5, but about 1/4" wider, 1/4" taller and 1-2mm thicker.
    Front, back and sides are totally flat.

That's it for now! G'nite everyone!
    Vector-SS likes this.
    12-20-12 12:11 AM
    There's nothing wrong with the built quality of the L Series, I can't stress that enough. It's just that we've been spoiled by the 9900 with the metal band (which everybody is moving away from) and I'm preconditioned to think quality stuff has heft; if you take out this pre-conceived notion of weight = quality then the L Series is every bit as nice in feel as anything out there right now (minus the iPhone 5, which isn't as nice in feel as the 4/4S IMO).
    Don't worry here, nobody will ever pick up an L Series and think "man this phone feels cheap".
    With the increased demand to include ever more radios in slimmer devices with bigger screens I am not actually surprised that metal is going out of favour, it adds weight to the device and at the same time lowers temperature limits allowable when it is something that would be easier to hit if you were using 4g to download while also making a call.
    12-20-12 12:16 AM
    I got a reply about my question to @BlackBerryScoop on the BB10 eye-candy. The TAT team is making changes to BB10 before launch. Lets be patient and see what they're gonna do Played with an BB10 L Series for about 30 minutes, any questions?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1355985282.395368.jpg
    Last edited by Tatperson; 12-20-12 at 12:49 AM.
    12-20-12 12:35 AM
    I'd like to know if you feel the join between the bezel and the glass when swiping from the bezel? Is it smooth or annoying?
    12-20-12 01:05 AM
    Thanks for your answers, very informative.

One last question..

Can the phone keep up with the gestures? Couple of examples below of what I'm trying to say.

Example 1) Swiping from one pane to another such as a quick left-left swipe followed by quick right right swipes. If you've used the playbook you will know what I mean. It doesn't exactly keep up with the swipes, and it's the same when switching between running apps. It sometimes misses a swipe quickly switching between apps.

Example 2) Minimizing apps then quickly relaunching. Swipe up, tap (choose app), swipe app, tap (choose app). Can it keep up or will it miss gestures if it's too fast? Again, similar to the playbook.

Hopefully you understand what question I'm trying to get through here because it's hard to explain
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-20-12 01:16 AM
    Hey thanks for posting Fuzzy, I have a laundry list for you, but I'll cut it down to the questions you might have had a chance to look at on the phone. Did you get a chance to check out any of the following?:

Did you get to see the maps and navigation apps in action?
    Custom contact labels for multiple numbers, email, IM etc
    Can you add incoming sms or calls to contacts?
    Good photo/image gallery?
    Can you launch apps like phone dialer and maps from tapping plain text (NOT hyperlink) addresses and phone numbers on browser web pages?
    Wifi must stay on when the screen turns off, did you get a chance to test the WiFi?
    How was the copy/paste?
    Car Dock interface?
    Sharing pics, files etc, do you get the option to share with multiple apps, ie. photobucket, cloud, etc?
    calicocat2010 and FuzzyFish like this.
    12-20-12 01:21 AM
    Universal Search? I know lots of people have wanted to know from reading past threads.
    OH Just thought of another one. There was a Picture that people have spotted stating that for the Media Player active frame it had inside the controls....Did you see that If you played with the media player, by chance?
    12-20-12 01:32 AM
    Did you get to take any pictures of the device? Is it exactly the same as the Tinthe vidz?
    12-20-12 01:49 PM
    updates? or maybe the person is still sleeping after being kept up by us eager BB persons?
    12-20-12 02:17 PM
    Thx for all answers. ..did u checked the size of the battery?

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9300 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-20-12 02:44 PM
    thanks fuzzy, as many have stated before me, your answers are much appreciated.

did you get a chance to place a call? how was the speaker? clarity of the audio? Did you check BB world?
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-20-12 03:28 PM
    Thx for all answers. ..did u checked the size of the battery?
    That has been shown as being 1800mah in the leaked pics.
    12-20-12 03:31 PM
    We know if its gonna be quadcore?if yes we gonna complain for battery again

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9300 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2
    12-20-12 03:38 PM
    The homescreen experience on BlackBerry 10 is absolutely terrible. There is practically no way to organize your installed apps. Even though I am only using my DevAlpha for developing and testing apps, I already have more apps than I can manage on the device.

LOL.

Every pundit: BB10 is another operating system with no apps.

Pundit: I have more apps than I can possibly manage.

Real consistent, guys.
    FuzzyFish and jesse_h like this.
    12-20-12 03:46 PM
    What is the texture/material of the back?! I have been dying to find out. Is it like the back of the playbook? Or the back of the 9900 (not the faux carbon fibre part the black outline around it).
    12-20-12 04:29 PM
    Alot of these questions have been answered already, make sure your reading through the forum before posting your question.
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-20-12 04:49 PM
100 1234