So I've been getting a ridiculous amount of charges on my Fido data plan over the last 2 months and I could not figure out why. I'm primarily on Wifi and don't update apps or stream when on my mobile network...plus I've never gone over my 2gb data limit before so what could be the reason? Finally decided to do some investigating and found that every half hour my PIM services would download 50-60mb of data! When you put that into context, every 2 hours I'm off Wifi I was using up 200MB of data!! What. In. The. Heck.

So I went through all my email accounts (Gmail, outlook, Office 365) and found none of the settings to be weird. Then I decided to do a little elimination. Took off Evernote...nothing, still downloading a whopper load of info. So I forced myself to turn of mobile data and rely on Wifi for a day (to stop the bleeding of money) . Take a look at my wifi usage!

PIM services killing your data? Blame Facebook-img_20140408_001811.png

Then I took off FB around noon on Tuesday ...now look at my wifi usage

PIM services killing your data? Blame Facebook-img_20140409_002656.png

Facebook is the sole reason for my two months of overcharged data (coming in at almost 18GB over) . Zuckerberg owes me a cheque!!!

Posted via CB10
    dean_josephson likes this.
    04-08-14 11:28 PM
    Brutal. What app are you using to monitor the data usage?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 11:50 PM
    are you sure this is due to the FB? not due to CALDav/CardDAV sync?
    04-08-14 11:59 PM
    There is a story posted on cnn (I think) that an ex apple bar genius has narrowed down the battery drain on certain iphones. Caused by the preset limit of the fb app polling for new data/status updates, etc. Gotta love social networking apps constantly polling for data.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 12:05 AM
    After discussing Facebook in another thread, I kept an eye on the data FB itself was using, and it was a constant data hog. I only open up to check FB 4 or 5 times a month, yet it was consistently gobbling data all day and all night.

I decided to delete the app completely and rely just on the browser for my occasional forays into the brain-farts of my family (pretty much all Facebook has become to me - Lord help me if I ever discover that they have Twitter accounts too).

Turns out that deleting FB did cut my daily data usage down, but also cut down the CPU usage of System in the App Manager. My battery life got a little better too.

I will keep checking over the next few weeks to see if this is a lasting effect, but I'm liking it so far.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 10:09 AM
    Dleted FB app... let's check what happens next

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 10:14 AM
    I removed Facebook from my hub first week I had mine, for the constant frivolous notifications and data usage.

From a Z30
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    04-09-14 12:01 PM
    Just deleted Facebook to see if there is any change here...I never go over my data usage, but I really do not use Facebook enough to justify it using up device memory, battery and even the data is uses could be spent on better things!

So heres to trying!
    04-09-14 12:10 PM
    The native Device monitor. It's pretty sweet!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 10:54 AM
    Im getting about 300-600mb per day data... i dont think I use anything near that.

was your Device Manager info accurate?

mine shows only about 50-100mb in 48 hours for all of my top 5 apps. that means i should be at 250-500mb MAX for 2 days, im getting that every day!
    04-13-14 02:27 PM
    All of a sudden I am using 300 mb every weekend when I'm using my data services and not wi-fi. My device manager shows it's my PIM Services - is this related to the fact I have 4 email accounts, calendars and contacts on my Q10? If I change my settings of 3 of the accounts to manual only and update on wi-fi would this lower my data usage?
    04-14-15 08:17 AM
    Instead of using the Device Monitor you can also go to BlackBerry World, My Apps, and then monitor each app, given that FB is one of the few installed there I can see it's not FB that's eating up all my data in PIM Services, so I assume it must be something else in my case, unfortunately most apps are not in BW so I'm not sure what those PIM Services refer to.
    09-06-15 10:55 PM