When friends ask me what phone I have or a family member picks up my phone, picture password is often discussed because it's a different take on phone locking.

I have had people guess my password no less than 5 times in the last 6 months. It's embarrassing for me when this happens. For them, there ecstatic...they just broke into a BlackBerry.

On too many occasions when I go to unlock my phone with this picture password, the number is very near or on its destination. -bad planning BlackBerry.

Another thing I noticed, it allows for an inertia landing. I believe you should have to drop the number on your spot....kind of like whack-a-mole.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    07-24-14 10:22 PM
    Don't pick obvious locations

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 10:32 PM
    Damn there are so many threads on this. Picture password is for convenience, it's not designed to be a safe password. Use a mix of number, letters and symbols for a good password. They'll never guess

Posted via CB10
    Kennedy.L and sk8er_tor like this.
    07-24-14 10:33 PM
    It is safe if you pick a discreet location. Its the most safe password system on any OS because of the fact that you can input your password with prying eyes watching!

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-24-14 10:44 PM
    I.e use a picture like this
    Picture Password Insecure-img_20140703_143733.png

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 10:44 PM
    Never had someone guess my picture password.

Picture Password Insecure-img_20140725_120247.png

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:04 PM
    I'm sorry, but I'm calling bull on this. You're picture password has been guessed correctly 5 times in the last 6 months? You're either making this up or using such an obvious number/location/pic combo that anyone that remotely knows you well enough can guess it without even putting any thought into it.

For example; being a Lebron James fanatic, using a pic of Lebron James in his jersey, choosing the number 6 and putting it right on top f the number 6 on his jersey. Of course people that know you can guess something that ridiculously stupid. It's like using the word "lebron" as your password.

So either you're using a number/location/pic combination that you should never use because it's so obvious that it's actually laughable, oor you're just straight making up the fact that your pic password has been guessed correctly 5 times in 6 months by complete chance.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:04 PM
    I've let people watch me use picture password multiple times in a row to unlock my phone and they haven't been able to guess it, so I think you're being predictable in your choice of picture/number/location.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:08 PM
    I disagree about it being meant as a convenience. It's supposed to be fairly secure.

I agree that the number does often appear close to the "lockation" but it would not happen repeatedly in a single lock-picking session so someone would have to be really lucky to put the screen back as they found it so that the key hasn't moved.

We need to know what the conditions were when your friends unlocked the phone.

- if you look at someone entering a standard number or number-swiping password like in Android, it would be easy to guess. Have you unlocked your phone in their presence before?

- what is the picture you have chosen? It is very hard to remember where the key goes in a blank area so if your picture has few "possible lockations" then that reduces the challenge.

- is the key one of your favourite numbers? Do your friends know it?

- how many attempts are you giving them? Are you challenging them to a game of "guess my password?" Obviously you would have to unlock your phone for multiple attempts so that you don't permanently lock the phone so this would be unfair to the system.

Picture Password could be better but I think it's harder to guess, especially if someone's watching. I've trained myself to look away when I enter mine.
    igor10000 likes this.
    07-24-14 11:09 PM
    This is the photo I us, and I've never had anyone guess my password. I've even told them the number to use. I wonder what photo the OP uses
    Picture Password Insecure-img_20140725_001629.png

Posted via CB10
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    07-24-14 11:19 PM
    My picture http://postimg.org/image/kyacs0r55/

I did not pick a corner or obvious location.

People are guessing by accident. Remember, you don't pick the number, you pick the location for that number.

I use this method because typing in a password on an all - touchscreen device is painful.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:20 PM
    I think the window drop location for the number should be smaller and the number grid more sparse.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:25 PM
    I figured that was obvious enough I wouldn't mention it. Thank you Captain Obvious.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:26 PM
    This also means they had to get this within the first 5 tries each time. Calling BS or your bad luck is incredible.
    07-24-14 11:27 PM
    You pick the number and the location

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:29 PM
    It is a little disturbing to see that people think that Picture Password is secure, or expect it to be bulletproof.

As noted above, it is primarily for convenience and fun, and should not be held to the same standard as well-tested cryptographic approaches.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:29 PM
    For something 'fun' and 'convenient' it's a damn side better than a finger print scanner, or knock code. Because the fact that you can put your password into the phone infront of other people whilst they are watching is far superior.

Posted via CB10
    tHe.iR1sH and ronfc like this.
    07-24-14 11:33 PM
    No F-in way! Sorry, but there are a 10s of thousands of combinations of number and placement, without telling someone the number - there is no way that so many people know your pic password. I did Kevin's experiment with my spare Z10 for a dozen friends and no one has guessed it yet.
    07-24-14 11:39 PM
    They don't know the password...they are randomly dragging numbers to locations.

I agree the likelihood of someone guessing a visual password like this should, in theory, be less than a simple digit password...

I must be unlucky. They have no idea what the password was that they guessed and couldn't repeat it.

I suspect on these instances the number is very close to its destination. --that, and I am unlucky.

Number grid should not be so dense on the dense one. Likelihood of guessing correct position in this circumstance is increased dramatically.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 11:44 PM
    I think the window drop location for the number should be smaller and the number grid more sparse.

Posted via CB10
    The number grid actually randomly varies in density...

Maybe you're placing your finger on the actual chosen number and dragging it to the location? That would easily give it away to someone watching a few successful unlocks. Best bet is to pick any other spot on the screen and do a randomly indirect movement (rather than a straight line move) until your number aligns with the chosen image area.

Posted via CB10
    vaioman likes this.
    07-24-14 11:45 PM
    Let me guess number 4 in the middle of the sun...a bit obvious

Posted via CB10
    anon6113468 and tHe.iR1sH like this.
    07-24-14 11:47 PM
    Well tested cryptographic approaches? I suppose you mean an alphanumeric password. Sure that's more secure... if you enter it privately.

When considering existing smartphone PIN number systems, however, Picture Password does offer better security because people usually unlock their phones in full public view.

Discussions such as this one help improve the technology so setting high expectations for Picture Password is a good thing.
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    07-24-14 11:57 PM
    There is a secret!
    DON'T TOUCH YOUR NUMBER!!
    As you can move the whole "layer" with the numbers, just pick another/any number and then (with the eyes) follow "your number" to "its location"... an observer will think your finger took an other number to another location.
    Just a known hint. Enjoy!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-24-14 11:58 PM
    They aren't watching me. They try it from the get-go. The number grid is of 3 densities.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 12:02 AM
    Not near the sun. Good one!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 12:04 AM
119 123 ...