Its redundant, its outdated, its confusing people. Change is good!

Here's my vote for this icon to be removed in 10.1! Who's with me?!
    02-11-13 11:22 PM
    By removing text messages, BB would ensure that 3rd-rate analysts would pick up the phone, not see the text message icon, and immediately conclude that 10.1 doesn't support text messaging. I kid you not. The amount of ignorance I've seen from so-called tech analysts/jouranalists, even after they claimed to have used to BB10, is astounding.
    Tom689 likes this.
    02-11-13 11:25 PM
    It IS changed from OS7, it's in no way redundant and outdated is an opinion. There's bigger changes needed for 10.1 than the text icon.
    02-11-13 11:26 PM
    On another thread, someone said the carriers wouldn't allow BlackBerry not to have an SMS.
    Can't find it...
    02-11-13 11:28 PM
    There's NO email icon either, does that mean these I***T analysts, believe the BB10 OS doesn't do email either :-) I actually read a FB post over the weekend, of someone who thought that there should have been an icon for "the HUB"...
    02-11-13 11:46 PM
    I'M IN!!!!!!!
    02-11-13 11:47 PM
    I agreed. Remove the ICON or give us the option to hide ICONS.
    Tom689 and MaxR_A like this.
    02-11-13 11:53 PM
    One of my few problems with blackberry is the app menu is just loaded with tons of icons
    02-12-13 12:12 AM
    You could always just toss the ones you don't want information a folder. That's what I used to do with my BlackBerry Pearl. That way you only need one extra icon for deal with.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    mmason31 likes this.
    02-12-13 12:29 AM
    Yeah. That icon is there for the carriers. Pretty sure if BlackBerry had there way fully they would not show the text message icon on the homescreen.

02-12-13 12:38 AM
    for us not-so-fortunate to be BB10-less what does the txt msgs icon do? i personally like options and would like for it to be there. Where does it take you when you click on it? the hub?
    02-12-13 12:38 AM
    I like the text icon on main screen...don't remove
    02-12-13 01:14 AM
    for us not-so-fortunate to be BB10-less what does the txt msgs icon do? i personally like options and would like for it to be there. Where does it take you when you click on it? the hub?
    Ya, it's kind of pointless to exist. It just plops you into the hub. As Kevin noted, it's there because carriers wanted it. I don't really care though either way.. doesn't both me much by being there.
    02-12-13 01:20 AM
    Please don't waste BlackBerry's time with stupid requests, they have a lot of thing way more important than this, just throw the icon into an "Others" folder until they implement icon hiding...

02-12-13 01:25 AM
    then bbm icon would be pointless as well....
    02-12-13 01:27 AM
    Hilarious. Of all the things people are concerned about, we worry about an icon. Just to show how hardcore crackberry forum members are. LOL
    02-12-13 01:29 AM
    to OP: No, I mean, not really or even ...
    IMHO there should be a "dedicated" client for texting, exactly like BBM, TW, FB (and the option to include these - or not - in the hub)
    Oh year, I'm beating the "hub" concept here. But some users may prefer isolated access for texting and several type of messaging/social platforms.
    I hear already some users claiming the hub is "confusing", and I believe it won't be that bad to offer the capability to step back for client x,y,z ...
    I for one (nothing exceptional) have 2 emails, 1 TW, 1 FB, 1 LinkedIn +1 BBM all together in the hub. I must say, I sometimes regret I published a popular content on FB ...
    My $0.02
    02-12-13 02:17 AM
    Noo, I always keep my text and email separate.

I actually want text to be a separate 'app' like how it is in bb7 and have the hub for email/facebook/twitter or w.e stuff I'll pretend I use (except email). :P

edit - Guy above me has it right.
    02-12-13 02:35 AM
    There are some stupid people out there who would not know how to text with out the icon lol

My girlfriend needed to send a text from my z10 and could not get her head around using the hub lol and just searched for the icon lol

Do while I don't use it I guess it needs to stay for the think people out there lol.

02-12-13 02:42 AM
    I actually like having it there. Old habits die hard I guess. I really don't need it since most of the time I go in through the hub. I'm sure as time goes on, I'll use the more and more.

02-12-13 05:11 AM
    So let me get this straight, I can't view my text msgs by themselves, I have to view them with all my fb,email, and twitter feeds? Because that would rather annoying in a hurry to be honest I don't even want my fb and twitter mixed with my email....
    02-12-13 06:35 AM
    No, that is not true. The text icon is still there and you can read all of your texts individually. The other great part about the hub is that you can sort every one of your accounts to see what us in each individually.

02-12-13 06:58 AM
    I like it.

Never been a fan of universal inboxes.

When you remove texts from the hub they are then 2 swipes away from active frames screen unless the hub opens on the sms screen. With the icon on the first page of apps its only one swipe away.

An option to hide it would be fairer than removing it all together for those who like their texts separate.

All I have in my main hub page are emails and notifications (bbworld etc). That's enough for me.

Each to their own.
    02-12-13 07:09 AM
    No, I too like to sort my messages by type, and would still like the text messages "tab" to be in the hub. But the text message icon is a bit redundant as all it does is "launch" you there. BBM is different, its more "app worthy"- so it fires up in active frames.

But I see Kevin's point, the carriers wanted it there
    02-12-13 08:40 AM
    While we're scrapping the sms icon, let's also scrap the icon drop shadows and the BBM icon.
    02-12-13 01:01 PM