I'm a BB diehard, no doubt about that.

But just recently I had an opportunity to pick up a white iPhone 5 for cheap and jumped at that chance, with the plan of using it until the Q10 comes out.

Now, I've used the Z10 and I sold it in about 3 days, because I couldn't stand the touch screen keyboard. But the iPhone... I can deal with the touch screen keyboard.

I think it comes down to the fact the app support is so strong. So strong that I can deal with the short comings of a touchscreen keyboard. The BB10 is a great OS, but iOS isn't that far off. It really isn't. When I first used the Z10 I thought it was mind blowingly good. That's because I was coming from the 9900. I have also been in the camp that "you only need about 5 core apps." But I think I've been narrow minded, having a whole bunch of apps for everything is actually quite wonderful.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I think us BlackBerry users need to stop undermining the importance of apps. Too many times on this board I hear "how many apps do you actually need?" or "You can just pull it up in the browser." There really is no substitute for a well-designed app. BB10 needs apps to survive, which makes me worry a bit.

Thoughts?
    cy, shads77 and R_from_Toronto like this.
    03-19-13 12:02 AM
    Uh oh.. uh oh... uh oh... Where's the emergency exit? Uh oh! i

Posted using BlackBerry 10
    zombie73 likes this.
    03-19-13 12:17 AM

But just recently I had an opportunity to pick up a white iPhone 5 for cheap and jumped at that chance, with the plan of using it until the Q10 comes out.

Now, I've used the Z10 and I sold it in about 3 days, because I couldn't stand the touch screen keyboard. But the iPhone... I can deal with the touch screen keyboard.

I think it comes down to the fact the app support is so strong. So strong that I can deal with the short comings of a touchscreen keyboard. The BB10 is a great OS, but iOS isn't that far off. It really isn't. When I first used the Z10 I thought it was mind blowingly good. That's because I was coming from the 9900. I have also been in the camp that "you only need about 5 core apps." But I think I've been narrow minded, having a whole bunch of apps for everything is actually quite wonderful.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I think us BlackBerry users need to stop undermining the importance of apps. Too many times on this board I hear "how many apps do you actually need?" or "You can just pull it up in the browser." There really is no substitute for a well-designed app. BB10 needs apps to survive, which makes me worry a bit.

Thoughts?
    Apps is really up to personal choice and preferences... I'm an Android user (been that for five years with the exception when I had a Curve 9360) and apps really don't mean much to me. I have a whole library of apps available to me, and I barely utilize them. Things I use the most would be Bloomberg and the browser to read the daily news.

After using my Curve, and going back to Android (Galaxy Note), I really missed the All-in-one inbox, and the keyboard experience, and although I hated the lag, my note lags too, just a fair bit less.

However, I also believe BB10 does need quality apps to survive, and I don't think people will really start jumping on to develop until they see that BlackBerry is back, and is here to stay with truck-full of users. That's why I believe this earnings report on the 28th, is so crucial for BlackBerry. There's some that say "wait till the next quarter report, that'll be the quarter for BB to shine" but I think it'd be a tad bit late then.
    anon(4044683) and STTUSVI24 like this.
    03-19-13 12:18 AM
    It's no secret that apps are needed. That is precisely why BlackBerry have been working so hard to woo developers.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 12:20 AM
    The iphone keyboard is terrible I hated the auto correct on it I was constantly going back to correct my sentences because it would give me the wrong one. Having the adaptive typing and accurate auto correct I prefer this over my qwerty 9780 keyboard. This is the best keyboard of any phone on the market without question.

As far as apps there are a few that need to be there but are already in the works Ex) Skype Instagram Viber but in all seriousness I can find an alternative or the same app from the top apps in the Google play store/apple top 100 apps. I already have youtube Google maps kindle instagram accuweather whatsapp netflix 4 pics one word docs to go dropbox box sports along with my business news and productivity apps I need.

CB10- z10
    meganVee likes this.
    03-19-13 12:28 AM
    I have both a Z10 and an iPhone 5 and I prefer the first one without any doubt. Important to mention that I use my devices for calls, email, text, Web and occasionally whatsapp. Skype is the only missing app in my case.

But that is my user pattern. I do not miss any apps, while I am aware the iOS had way bigger choice for it.

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    cwest likes this.
    03-19-13 12:50 AM

Thoughts?
    I am BB newbie. I came from Android. No, I do not see the use lot of apps. I use only 5 apps, Viber, whatsapp, skype, local taxi booking app.
    03-19-13 01:22 AM
    I know an iPod touch isn't the same as an iPhone, but it's almost.. especially with the newer ones. I have the newest iPod touch, with the same screen as the iPhone5 (iPod doesn't have as good of a processor or camera). I do iMessage on it (I'm either at work or home, so I always have WiFi), and I really do not like the keyboard. I try to type "What's up" and it changes to "warthog" if I don't do it right. It still never lets me say the F word. There's no way I could use this keyboard for anything other than brief iMessages, an Instagram comment here or there, and maybe a Tweet, if my PlayBook and BlackBerry or Mac Book aren't in front of me.

I do like a few apps though, that are on the iPod and not BlackBerry, and they are all games. Need For Speed Most Wanted, Real Racing 2 & 3, Modern Combat 4, Bejeweled Blitz and Words With Friends.

While I am very glad BlackBerry is working on bringing a lot of apps to the platform, I am still keeping my iPod touch with me (it's only 5months old anyway). I've always liked that my BlackBerry is what I immediately pickup if I want to email, text, call, search the web, or set my alarm really quickly. I'll probably get Songza, Instagram, and Spotify on my Z10 (Spotify is supposedly coming, and I pay for premium). Other than that, the games and all that other stuff can stay on my iPod, which I view as a toy.
    meganVee and STTUSVI24 like this.
    03-19-13 01:34 AM
    I don't understand what am I missing using a BlackBerry? Netflix? In my household we are split between BlackBerry 's and i-stuff. I pick up her i5 and play around and nothing on there I am really hurting for. I could use Skype and Netflix. Messaging, IM, browsing, PHONE, calendar, remember stuff, sports apps, weather, docs to go, voice command, good camera, movie app, reader, native CB app, etc etc. What am I missing. What do people do with there phones that I am missing out?

Posted from my Z10
    meganVee likes this.
    03-19-13 06:04 AM
    Meh. You're still in the honeymoon phase with apps, trust me. I'm a former Android user. In fact, I sold my Nexus 4 to get the Z10, and there are literally not even half a dozen apps that I *really* miss. Not a big deal at all. I think people like you who come in here thinking their opinion is somehow superior because they were "BlackBerry diehards" are seriously misguided. Do you think I went on XDA forums and wrote man article on why I think BB10 is better than Android? Nope, I just chose the device that I thought was better and called it a day. Others may choose Android, and it has nothing to do with me. That's the great thing about competition; the fact that us consumers have choices. We don't need people like you to **** on our choices just because you made a different choice.
    03-19-13 06:14 AM
    Perspective of a BB diehard using an iPhone-_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png
    It isn't like they have been trying to woo developers or anything...
    03-19-13 06:19 AM
    This post sounds soooo fake...

posted via the CB app on my Z10
    ibpluto and trynacu2 like this.
    03-19-13 06:27 AM
    same old.. same old.... only time there is an app deficiency is when you cannot find what you want... having more choices does not make a better user experience.... Have been in Apple's walled garden for the last 3 years with assorted Idevices at home..... seen the 700,000 plus apps available...... do I feel that BB is deficient for apps... no... I use each device for different reasons... for entertainment purposes you cannot go wrong with Idevices... for productivity and communication I stick with BB as personally I find it way more efficient..... does not make either better just different...... Glad the OP has discovered something that works for him...
    03-19-13 06:41 AM
    same old.. same old.... only time there is an app deficiency is when you cannot find what you want... having more choices does not make a better user experience.... Have been in Apple's walled garden for the last 3 years with assorted Idevices at home..... seen the 700,000 plus apps available...... do I feel that BB is deficient for apps... no... I use each device for different reasons... for entertainment purposes you cannot go wrong with Idevices... for productivity and communication I stick with BB as personally I find it way more efficient..... does not make either better just different...... Glad the OP has discovered something that works for him...
    I to was in Apple and Googles wallet for the past few years and I have had the iPhone 3, 4 & 5, the Galaxy S3/Note 2and the Nexus line of phones and I have discovered in the last couple of weeks using my new z10, I have re-evaluated what I use the smartphone for. For me, I use the device primarily for my business which is Email, Text and Calendar and the z10 is exactly what I have been looking for. The BB Hub, BB Flow have grown on me.

I had to go back to using my backup iPhone 5 for a couple of days because I sold my black z10 to get a white one and I was lost. I was so happy when my white z10 arrived, I sold my last iPhone 5 and I am not looking back. I do feel there is is need for some common apps that are used in the other platforms that new users who cross over to the Blackberry world would want i.e. eBay, Craigslist, Banking and Navigation apps because they just have gotten use to using them and going to the website with the browser is not going to be an option.

Remember we are trying to attract new customers to the Blackberry world, so we have to be open minded and have something already in place to win them over. The new OS and the z10 are not going to be enough to save the kingdom, a good customer base who believes and supports your product and development will. It's just basic and smart business principles , like it or not.
    STTUSVI24 likes this.
    03-19-13 07:49 AM
    It is everyones perspective and wants and needs for what they have. I had a iPhone 4, 4s and i had mostly games and what not but.... I never used anything really other than browser and text/ call/ email. I did not care for the "soulless feel" of the iOS. This is my opinion.

I love my 9930. I use email/text/call and a few other apps on here.

BlackBerry DOES need more apps to gain more attention. But it is sad that people will write off a great device because of such a thing. I mean come on people. We could have no smart phones at all. A lot of apps now really do not serve a point other than time killing. I have never watched a movie on my phone, If i want to watch a movie i will gladly use my laptop or tv.

As far as keyboards are concerned i hated the iOS keyboard. I have not used the Z10 so i cannot say how it feels to use it. But out of all my devices my BlackBerries have been at the top of my list and as far as i am concerned they will stay there. Im hoping to get a Z10 and stay with it for as long as i can.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    03-19-13 08:01 AM
    When I was using my Tour as my daily driver, I had 40 apps installed (yes, I counted). For the most part, I could almost run my business off of the phone. The only point of frustration was truncated emails.

When my carrier passed on the 9930, I ended up getting an Android device. The main selling point was the apps that let me run more of my business from the device. No more truncated emails, and options to accept credit cards from my phone made up for not having BBM.

What makes it hard to go completely away from another platform is the vastness of apps. I love using the Z10. It is a great device. Even so, I still carry the Note 2, so I can access things for my business, like Square for accepting credit cards, and Skype to keep in contact with clients.

I don't need fart apps, or a hundred different versions of a game. But there are a core set of apps that I rely on for my business. As BlackBerry builds on their app library, it will be easier to switch away from other platforms. I'm hoping that they can get core apps on board quickly. Quality apps will bring people around to BB10 much faster than playing the app numbers game.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 08:20 AM

Thoughts?
    No one is "undermining the importance of apps" by expressing a differing opinion than yours. If a web page is available, I generally prefer the full features of a web page than the having the data parsed by an app. Social media sites in particular fall in this category.
    Where I prefer apps is in the productivity and business arena where the data must be parsed in order to function efficiently on a phone or tablet. To say that there is no substitute for a well designed app is silly when you have access to one hundred percent of the functionality in a browser. It would be like me saying I have to have Docs to go or smartsuite when I had full access to all the functionality of Microsoft Office.
    There are times when apps are the best or most convenient option but not always. To state an obvious fact isn't undermining the importance of anything. I use apps when they are the best option available. In the final analysis it comes down to preference.
    03-19-13 08:24 AM
    When I was using my Tour as my daily driver, I had 40 apps installed (yes, I counted). For the most part, I could almost run my business off of the phone. The only point of frustration was truncated emails.

When my carrier passed on the 9930, I ended up getting an Android device. The main selling point was the apps that let me run more of my business from the device. No more truncated emails, and options to accept credit cards from my phone made up for not having BBM.

What makes it hard to go completely away from another platform is the vastness of apps. I love using the Z10. It is a great device. Even so, I still carry the Note 2, so I can access things for my business, like Square for accepting credit cards, and Skype to keep in contact with clients.

I don't need fart apps, or a hundred different versions of a game. But there are a core set of apps that I rely on for my business. As BlackBerry builds on their app library, it will be easier to switch away from other platforms. I'm hoping that they can get core apps on board quickly. Quality apps will bring people around to BB10 much faster than playing the app numbers game.

Posted via CB10
    This is the exact point I have have been trying to make all along, well put.
    03-19-13 08:28 AM
    Honestly I have an ipad with a ton of apps on it. I haven't even looked at it since I picked up my z10. Sure apps are great in the beginning but I have realized that I don't use the majority of them. The z10 has everything I need and it will only get better from here.

Posted via CB10
    zombie73 and Spawn12 like this.
    03-19-13 08:32 AM
    Don't know about the iPhone 5 but I've played with my wife's 4 and the fact that I can't use landscape mode to input my unlock password or app store password is a deal breaker solely because it's unbelievable that I can't turn a full-screen phone any direction I want at any time. Major failure in my not-so-humble opinion.
    03-19-13 08:47 AM
    Couldn't stand the touchscreen keyboard on the Z10? I just hammer away at the keys and the autocorrect is amazing! There's a reason why the Stupid Auto Correct blog is all iPhone and Android screen shots.
    zombie73 likes this.
    03-19-13 09:02 AM
    The keyboard on the z10 is amazing, I love it.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 09:16 AM
    I currently own a Z10 and I came from a Bold 9700 with a social networking plan. I've grown used to not using apps and I currently have barely any apps on my phone. But that's just me.

I understand the app support part because I also own the 5th gen iPod Touch which is similar to the iPhone 5. Personally, I think the Z10 keyboard is much better and the auto correct is much more accurate. I've been using my iPod Touch a lot longer than my Z10 since I got it when it was out in October and I ultimately had to turn off auto correct. But like I said, that's just me.

App support is crucial, (almost) everyone knows that, and I know BlackBerry will try their best to bring all the top apps to BlackBerry 10!
    03-19-13 09:47 AM
    knowastron,

Those you refer to who "undermine the importance of apps" is only a small (but extremely vocal) part of CB. I think most of us here, and BlackBerry themselves, realize that in order to be the mobile computing platform they seek to be, a healthy app catalogue needs to be part of the overall ecosystem.
    03-19-13 10:00 AM
    I definitely can't argue the apps. i've been on iOS since the summer, with my PlayBook being the current sole BlackBerry I use. I'm not a super heavy app consumer and tend to use a lot of the same apps to do the same things, though there have been some cool ones like Foodspotting that I like. I like Skype and Factime too. The iPhone is definitely a well built phone with a well-built OS. Camera is nice and so is the camera software. It definitely freezes much less than my 9900 (no appreciable difference than my PlayBook though), is simple to use.

That said, it's not quite the glorious second coming that my iOS friends told me to expect. 8 months in, I still despise typing on it. I still hate how notifications work. I still dislike the bad battery life. I hate that I can't replace the battery. I don't like that I can't see if people are available when I book meetings. I hate that it flakes out with my car all the time. I love Airplay and Home sharing - when they work. Often, they don't. I don't like some aspects about calendaring, email and contacts. I find iMessage servicable but has a long way to go to catch up to BBM. The rows and rows of icons bug me. The multi-tasking doesn't quite do the trick in some circumstances. And I have a bunch of random app crashes ... Facebook dies constantly. Podcast is brutally slow and freezes. The App Store crashes and updates stop dead. It can get laggy too. More my iPod (the laggiest slowest thing I've ever used) than my 4S but both. And I fracken hate the autocorrect on it.

I'm a tech geek and I like to try new things. It's a solid phone and a solid OS. But anyone who thinks there aren't issues on it or there isn't room for improvement is as silly as the people who say the same about the Z10.

Now if the money tree grows, I'd get a Lumia 920 and HTC One to go with it.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-19-13 10:12 AM
42 12