Hello,

I was going through the Engineering Screen on my Z10 and noticed a little section under the OS Engineering screen called CPU Performance Level Statistics. I saw that there were a couple of options in there that caught my attention.

The first one was that there seems to be an option to use only one of the processing cores on the Z10 (maybe also on Q10). By turning off one core, theoretically that can save on battery life, but will most likely reduce performance.

The second thing I noticed was the option to Fix CPU speed at PL. I'm not sure what PL stands for (maybe performance level), but there are several options at which to set the speed at: 384MHz, 594MHz, 810MHz, 1026MHz, 1242Mhz, 1510MHz, and 1728MHz. My questions is, by moving this to the last option, would this overclock the processor speed from the default 1.5GHz to 1.7GHz??? This would most likely have an improvement on performance for the Z10, but can affect battery life and also cause overheating.

I'm too scared to try it out and don't know what will happen to my Z10 if I did. Don't want to break it since it's my only phone I rely on as a daily driver. Maybe someone brave enough can try it out and post back with the results. I'm curious as to see. I'm attaching pictures of the screens below.

DISCLAIMER: Remember, modifying the settings in the Engineering Screen can have adverse affects on your phone. Do not modify anything if you are not comfortable in doing so and are willing to accept the consequences as a result of it. This can brick your phone and render it useless.
    Attached Thumbnails Overclocking Z10 or use 1 core?-img_20130755.jpg   Overclocking Z10 or use 1 core?-img_20130754.jpg   Overclocking Z10 or use 1 core?-img_20130753.jpg  
    Last edited by caltrmptguy86; 07-12-13 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer.
    07-12-13 06:47 PM
    You can't open the rabbits hole and expect someone else to jump down first. Go ahead take the plunge and test it out. Report back and let us know if there's any benefit to doing this

Posted via CB10
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    07-12-13 06:51 PM
    You can't open the rabbits hole and expect someone else to jump down first. Go ahead take the plunge and test it out. Report back and let us know if there's any benefit to doing this

Posted via CB10
    Haha, Dang it... I'm trying to work up the courage to do so. I'm just not sure if anyone else has tried it out and not said anything.
    93Aero likes this.
    07-12-13 07:00 PM
    What got me a little scared was the fact that I read that someone messed with the antenna diversity option in there and their phone got messed up because of it and now he cannot turn off that option.
    07-12-13 07:01 PM
    Are people really noticing their z10s to be that sluggish or slow to need to over clock. I know every one wants faster and better but personally, I can't see it making a difference, maybe it's just me.

I do know and understand some people just like to tinker with their phones just because they can. I used to do that all the time with my computers and some phones. But from a practical stand point I can't really see the benefits of doing so, though I could be wrong.
    Same goes for people wanting quad cores etc.... I don't know how much it would benefit a smart phone right now as most software runs well with the specs we have and probably the same goes for when the A10 is released with its higher specs. it doesn't seem high enough for some but I don't know what they'll benefit from it running OS 10.2. I could be way off though. It just seems like the MHZ and GHZ pc races in the late 90s early 00s all over again.

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
    caltrmptguy86 and LyoobaBerry like this.
    07-12-13 07:03 PM
    Are people really noticing their z10s to be that sluggish or slow to need to over clock. I know every one wants faster and better but personally, I can't see it making a difference, maybe it's just me.

I do know and understand some people just like to tinker with their phones just because they can. I used to do that all the time with my computers and some phones. But from a practical stand point I can't really see the benefits of doing so, though I could be wrong.
    Same goes for people wanting quad cores etc.... I don't know how much it would benefit a smart phone right now as most software runs well with the specs we have and probably the same goes for when the A10 is released with its higher specs. it doesn't seem high enough for some but I don't know what they'll benefit from it running OS 10.2. I could be way off though. It just seems like the MHZ and GHZ pc races in the late 90s early 00s all over again.

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
    Well, my phone functions well, not sluggish at all. I was just thinkering with the E-Screen when I noticed those options and wanted to see if anyone else had messed with them. I totally agree with your point of view on quadcores and faster processing, but here and there, a faster processor does improve app performance and app loading speeds. Although a lot of it also has to do with the coding of the app itself and software optimization for performance.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    07-12-13 07:24 PM
    How to find these engineering screens?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 07:25 PM
    I think this is very interesting. I Would love to overclock my Q10. I do find it to be a little on the slow side.

Let us know when you finally take the plunge down the "rabbit hole."

Posted Via CB10 on my Sexy *** wifi calling enabled Q10
    07-12-13 07:32 PM
    How to find these engineering screens?

Posted via CB10
    You access it through your browser by entering "escreen://" and then entering a code you generate using your app version, pin, and device uptime. It is easier using this app created by Scrid2000

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...v-mode-825489/

And if you wanna see the original post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...et-use-512322/
    digitalman101 likes this.
    07-12-13 07:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Trust me, someone is definitely going to try it out. They may not report back here though.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    07-12-13 07:46 PM
    Hmmm soon tempting! I am holding myself back... Why didn't I notice this the last time I checked the eScreen?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 07:51 PM
    Hmmm soon tempting! I am holding myself back... Why didn't I notice this the last time I checked the eScreen?

Posted via CB10
    I had gone into the escreen multiple times as well, buy didn't notice it until now. I might take the jump in the next couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 08:41 PM
    I'm thinking about underclocking my z10 to save battery life.

Posted from my jail cell during computer time.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    07-12-13 08:44 PM
    I'm thinking about underclocking my z10 to save battery life.

Posted from my jail cell during computer time.
    It won't save battery life if your voltage isn't set as well.

Folks do not attempt to adjust your cpu clocking speeds with out knowing the properly voltage to go with it. These devices aren't as versatile as Androids, where we can just willy nilly play with core settings.

I've overclocked and under volted tons of droids, even set my max cpu and min speed to 1.8GHZ on a GNexus to watch it crash and reboot almost upon first app opening.

I will however not touch a cpu setting on the berry

Posted via CB10

Edit: Also don't disable a core, that's almost worse than under clocking and over volting
    ioansuhov and caltrmptguy86 like this.
    07-12-13 08:53 PM
    It won't save battery life if your voltage isn't set as well.

Folks do not attempt to adjust your cpu clocking speeds with out knowing the properly voltage to go with it. These devices aren't as versatile as Androids, where we can just willy nilly play with core settings.

I've overclocked and under volted tons of droids, even set my max cpu and min speed to 1.8GHZ on a GNexus to watch it crash and reboot almost upon first app opening.

I will however not touch a cpu setting on the berry

Posted via CB10
    Everyone knows how easy it is to overclock an android. If we could get the same ability for BlackBerry that would be great.

Just need someone with a spare device lying around. Or really big kahuna's.

Posted Via CB10 on my Sexy *** wifi calling enabled Q10
    07-12-13 08:55 PM
    Go to Best Buy to try it.. hahaha............
    07-12-13 09:54 PM
    Good idea!

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    07-12-13 09:57 PM
    but then if you break it, the demo unit will be toast. customers won't be able to try BB10.
    caltrmptguy86 and pttptppt like this.
    07-12-13 09:58 PM
    The Best Buy by my house only has the dummy ones. Maybe the Verizon store... hmmm...
    07-13-13 12:26 AM
    My Verizon store keeps theirs locked in demo mode!
    The Best Buy by my house only has the dummy ones. Maybe the Verizon store... hmmm...
    07-13-13 12:45 AM
    i want to underclock my phone
    07-13-13 11:45 AM
    I've been using the 1 core mode ever since I heard the escreen, I think one 1.5Ghz core is powerful enough for Q10.
    And the overclock option doesn't work on my Q10, it can't be saved.

The working settings like 1 core still works after you reboot or quit escreen, they will reset when you update the OS. and you can change them back as long as you can open the escreen.

So just go ahead ,have a try
    caltrmptguy86 and Johny 5 like this.
    07-13-13 11:58 AM
    Nice. I'll check it out in a bit.
    07-13-13 03:30 PM
    Where do you guys have that option!?

Running 10.2.0.483

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone with 10.2.0.483 from Sweden. [2ABA2B4C]

Got it!
    07-13-13 03:39 PM
    Where do you guys have that option!?

Running 10.2.0.483

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone with 10.2.0.483 from Sweden. [2ABA2B4C]

Got it!
    Read before you post

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 09:00 PM
36 12