Does anyone know or have some idea of BBRY will be posting updates on their site for the different carriers for BB10? If its not going to happen and BBRY has setup something in the background for the carriers to push updates out through BBRY's network then that would mean for a lot of us we might not see a single update until heck freezes over.

Thoughts anyone?
    02-13-13 06:55 PM
    Does anyone know or have some idea of BBRY will be posting updates on their site for the different carriers for BB10? If its not going to happen and BBRY has setup something in the background for the carriers to push updates out through BBRY's network then that would mean for a lot of us we might not see a single update until heck freezes over.

Thoughts anyone?
    Let me quote from a previous thread:

... BlackBerry will deliver OS updates to your BlackBerry 10 device directly over-the-air, subject to your carrier's approval.

You will find that issues will be fixed on BlackBerry faster and more consistently than on Android (I'm basing this on BlackBerry's track record with PlayBook OS, Dev Alphas and pre-release BlackBerry 10 updates). However, BlackBerry will most likely not be as responsive as Apple sometimes but BlackBerry will also not be as inflexible (for example, sideloading is officially allowed but at your own peril as opposed to it outright breaking terms where Apple is concerned).
    BlackBerry has not announced or even public commented on a release time frame for future updates of BlackBerry 10. However, it is widely understood that BlackBerry 10.1 will be released in line with BlackBerry Q10, which is scheduled to come out in the April-June timeframe of this year, depending on the region.
    02-13-13 07:35 PM
    I have an issue with that's being said. The issue is if BBRY is going to be the sole provider of the OS updates then why are there multiple versions of the OS available?

I know that Rogers Communicaiton customers got an update the first day they picked up their devices from the Rogers stores. Virgin Mobile Canada still has not update, and Telus is on a newer version than Rogers, Bell and Virgin. So if BBRY is releasing the OS for everyone why do certain networks get the updates while others don't?

Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Virgin Mobile Canada all originate from Toronto, were I life, so I don't think the updates depend on region either since all these companies reside in the same region.
    02-13-13 08:34 PM
    I have an issue with that's being said. The issue is if BBRY is going to be the sole provider of the OS updates then why are there multiple versions of the OS available?

I know that Rogers Communicaiton customers got an update the first day they picked up their devices from the Rogers stores. Virgin Mobile Canada still has not update, and Telus is on a newer version than Rogers, Bell and Virgin. So if BBRY is releasing the OS for everyone why do certain networks get the updates while others don't?

Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Virgin Mobile Canada all originate from Toronto, were I life, so I don't think the updates depend on region either since all these companies reside in the same region.
    Even though BlackBerry releases the software update to the carrier, is at carrier's discretion to release it to the end user.

Some carriers test said release for some time before I gets pushed to the end user

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    b320 and KemKev like this.
    02-13-13 08:50 PM
    Seems there is no definitive answer for this. It's a long shot but I sent a tweet to BlackBerry Help asking this. Hopefully I get an answer. I always hated that carriers had control over software updates for Android and the older BBOS. Most carriers wouldn't bother unless it was critical. They would with old big releases forever just to get you to get a new phone. I think BlackBerry should do as Apple does and release updates to users on their own terms and let carriers release updates for branding and radio updates only.

02-13-13 11:22 PM
    Why is the process different than for the PlayBook. Why can't we update over wifi?

02-14-13 01:33 AM
    Why is the process different than for the PlayBook. Why can't we update over wifi?

The wife only PlayBook doesn't need the carrier approval because is directly sold by BlackBerry while the Z10 require you to sign for a service contract with the carrier

02-14-13 02:23 AM
    Even though BlackBerry releases the software update to the carrier, is at carrier's discretion to release it to the end user.

Some carriers test said release for some time before I gets pushed to the end user

This could change in Canada with the CRTC making it very clear in the proceedings that are going on this week with cell companies that they don't have any right to lock or control devices like they do, and in fact are leaning to making it illegal for cell phone companies to sell devices locked anymore. Thus technically the public could complain the CRTC once the ruling goes through about the software update and how the cell phone companies are still controlling our devices which wouldn't end well for RIM (BBRY) or the cell phone carriers in Canada.
    02-14-13 06:16 AM

The Playbook is a tablet device, the Z10 is a PDA/cell phone device. There is a big difference. Both have their own CRTC/FCC rules.
    02-14-13 06:19 AM

Carriers don't provide support for BlackBerry PlayBook tablets. It's provided directly by BlackBerry. That's the difference.
    02-16-13 08:35 PM
    I wonder where this leaves those of us with SIM free devices?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 03:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good question man.
    02-17-13 03:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking the same

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 04:11 PM
    It's depending on your SIM card... It has nothing to do where you got it from.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 04:12 PM
    I can change my SiM in a heartbeat, I'm not buying that.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 05:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    As someone posted is SIM dependent, the device I'D is tied to the SIM ( different from BBID) so the OS update will be pushed through the carrier you are using.

Hence why some people claims to receive OS update notification once a SIM card is inserted to the device

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:11 PM
    As someone posted is SIM dependent, the device I'D is tied to the SIM ( different from BBID) so the OS update will be pushed through the carrier you are using.

Hence why some people claims to receive OS update notification once a SIM card is inserted to the device

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:29 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Hence!
    02-17-13 08:48 PM
    Sorry about the previous post. I thought unlocked devices will be pushed directly from BlackBerry itself.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:32 AM
    Sorry about the previous post. I thought unlocked devices will be pushed directly from BlackBerry itself.

Posted via CB10
    Well atleast they should be handled that way.

It would be stupid it to be based to your sim card.

What if you use a sim card of an operator that doesn't have partnership with Blackberry and doesn't sell them? You wouldn't get any updates?
    02-18-13 06:40 AM
    Well atleast they should be handled that way.

It would be stupid it to be based to your sim card.

What if you use a sim card of an operator that doesn't have partnership with Blackberry and doesn't sell them? You wouldn't get any updates?
    Well said, inffy.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:37 AM
    In that case you would get the update once the carrier the phone was locked to before you un locked it releases said update

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 10:51 AM
    In that case you would get the update once the carrier the phone was locked to before you un locked it releases said update

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't apply to factory unlocked devices, like mine. It's never been locked to a carrier.
    02-18-13 02:47 PM
    That doesn't apply to factory unlocked devices, like mine. It's never been locked to a carrier.
    It certainly shouldn't but since all this is mere speculation one would think it'll be tied to the carrier the SIM belongs too or hopefully BlackBerry will release the installers as they used to do for older devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:45 PM
    It certainly shouldn't but since all this is mere speculation one would think it'll be tied to the carrier the SIM belongs too or hopefully BlackBerry will release the installers as they used to do for older devices.

Posted via CB10
    Tup i have also a davtory unlocked z10 coming. So i really hope they haven't thought outside of the box and marries the updates to the operator. That would be really stupid

I would guess that bb will release the updates as OTA and it then depends on the operater (if you have a locked device) to release it their clients. Atleast i hope that factory unlocked phones will get the updates straight from Blackberry
    02-19-13 12:21 AM