Upgraded my Z30 a couple of days and all was fine until this morning when the battery was completely flat as I forgot to charge it last night. Plugged in the charger, waited a bit and started phone. Phone started, but screen stayed black. Voice assistant works and says "emergency, enter device password, text field, password unmask, cancel OK, to wake device swipe up from bottom" and asks me to swipe up from bottom to wake up phone which does not work. Hard reset does not change anything.
    Phone is still under warranty, but provider has been advised by BB that there are several OS issues under active investigation so a new update is in works. I suggest any one still on 10.2 hold off until the fix is rolled out. Also back up your phone before updating.
    02-28-15 03:48 PM
    Well it didn't brick it, bricking your phone means it won't boot at all, but it appears you're one of the unfortunate ones.
    02-28-15 04:15 PM
    Windows updates gave me blue screen. Don't update windows!
    On a serious note, you got unlucky during the updating process.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-28-15 04:18 PM
    just reload the software from link or BB's website

and BB can brick>>>true...also can be unbricked>>>also true
    02-28-15 05:08 PM
    Yup, just plug in to your PC, with your USB cord and use Link to reload your OS...all should be fine

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.2267
    02-28-15 05:58 PM
    Link is unable to connect to phone except via wifi, but you can only access the media card on wifi so even if you can reset the phone you will lose all the data in device memory. I'll use my back-up phone until BB comes out with a fix.

I know other companies also have problem with their OS updates, but why are so many problems (black screen, volume, booting, zooming) allowed to go through to the final OS release?
    02-28-15 06:09 PM
    I've upgraded my Verizon Z30 with the latest 10.3.1 leak and I've been fine.

For you to make a broad statement for others not to upgrade their device seems utterly ridiculous.

But, yeah, backup your device regularly and prior to any update, upgrade or whatever.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    02-28-15 06:11 PM
    Change the title of your post, I don't think you know what bricked means.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 07:56 PM
    Same thing here but its not really bricked in the true sense of the term, just messed up bad!

Mine is turning on but the screen stays black. After messing around I've got it to the point where it runs but will only wake the screen up if its plugged in. I've downgraded to 10.2 and it stays the same. I'm not sure it was the update, it might have been the let it die. But this one was just updated and died that night.

What I did was shut off, long press power button. plug in and charge till red light goes green. Then start it, wait 5 min and do force restart (hold both power up and down till you see BB logo. Took a few trys but I did finally get the logo to show up and phone to start properly. Then after it when to sleep. same thing. So did it all again, then restore in Link. This time it would work perfectly when plugged in but still would't wake up when unplugged.

Keep in mind the phone is actually turning on and running, plug in cdmi and it comes up on screen and touch works. Its the screen not turning on..

Now I have downgraded to 10.2 and still its doing this.

Something in the 10.3 might be making a mess of things on a hardware, (chip) level if the phones battery dies same day or just after update.

I'm still trying. I'll post again soon. I've been doing tech support for years and years and I'm not giving up without a fight.
    02-28-15 08:10 PM
    Change the title of your post, I don't think you know what bricked means.

then why not explain it? more productive than spewing orders.
    Last edited by ExplicitPromo; 03-01-15 at 10:52 AM.
    02-28-15 08:11 PM
    ....provider has been advised by BB that there are several OS issues under active investigation so a new update is in works.
    Really? What provider? I'm thinking CB would announce any official don't upgrade notifications notifications from BlackBerry .

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2267
    02-28-15 08:18 PM
    That's a display/connector issue, OS reload wouldn't work. Get it replaced!
    Happened to my brother's Z10, which I tried to update to the latest 10.2.1 using an autoloader, but after restarting and everything. The display never turned on, even though the screen reader worked. It's a display issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 08:26 PM
    "That's a display/connector issue, OS reload wouldn't work. Get it replaced!
    Happened to my brother's Z10, which I tried to update to the latest 10.2.1 using an autoloader, but after restarting and everything. The display never turned on, even though the screen reader worked. It's a display issue."

So, phone works fine until update to 10.3 and a drained battery and its a bad connector? How could that be? It was a perfectly fine phone, battery dies and now its a hardware issue? Sorry I don't believe that for a heartbeat. I do believe there is an issue in firmware for power management as it pertains to screen wake up.

I've responded to at least 5 threads with this same issue and on the bb support forums there is a few threads going with lots of people in the same boat. All are in the same position.

After updating a z30 to 10.3 for the love of all thats good in the world, don't let the battery completely drain!
    03-01-15 10:51 AM
    Windows updates gave me blue screen. Don't update windows!
    On a serious note, you got unlucky during the updating process.
    Why did you post that? Are you making fun of the OP for having issues? I don't understand. As someone who also has a Z30 with a screen that won't turn on, unless plugged in to charge, I would like someone that can actually contribute to respond here and I don't think some smart *** response is going to help anyone.

Anyone out there figure out a way to revive these dead z30's?

As for everyone telling him that posting not to update is wrong, I sooooooo disagree. I predict in the next few weeks we see way more of this as people let their z30's die. Just watch, this could be bad for BB.

So far pissing around with it I have got it to the point where it works perfectly when plugged in but as soon as I remove the usb, boom. Screen stays black. This phone had died before on older OS 10.2 but now on 10.3 its borked after doing that. Bummer.

BB help us!
    03-01-15 11:02 AM
    Just to update a couple of points:

1. The Oxford dictionary defines bricked as: "cause a smartphone or other electronic device to become completely unable to function". You be the judge if this is the case or not.

2. Provider was about to replace my phone when a directive from BB advised that there are a number of BB 10 phones affected with upgrade issues (volume, font, rotation, black screen etc) and that they are working on a fix. Until such time BB request carriers not to replace the phones (mine has 2 weeks of warranty left). In the hope of a fix, I'm therefore using my Z10 temporarily.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 03:02 PM
    Just run an autoloader. Then restore from your latest backup on link.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-01-15 07:41 PM
    Just run an autoloader. Then restore from your latest backup on link.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    I used autoloader for 10.3 and tried going back to 10.2. Doesn't help. Once the 10.3 update goes on, it's hope and pray time. I think it updated firmware on a power management chip or something like that. Same as the pmu or smc on a Mac computer. Then when you do back to 10.2 it doesn't fix it. I'm going to try going back to the original is the z30 shipped with. Worth a shot I guess. This isn't a quick fix situation, wish it was. Would love my z30 to work again

Posted on my now almost useless z30 that won't wake up
    03-03-15 08:56 PM