Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mozdony
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default OS 10.2.1.3175 Contacts Issue

I recently updated my BlackBerry Q10 with the new update, and now all my contacts are screwed up. It appears that all my SIM contacts were deleted, and all my linked contacts became unlinked.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

No, and I will tell you why. I learned long ago to keep my contacts stored in the cloud and never on my SIM card. In my case, I exclusively use the AT&T Address Book. It is supplied free by my carrier and syncs automatically with my phone. So, I never lose my contacts even if I do a destructive O.S. Install. This, in my humble opinion, is the only way to go.

Never use the SIM card to store contact information. It will mess up your contact data without fail and it will not store all of your possible data points anyway. So, backup you contacts to your favorite cloud service, delete what is on your SIM card and shut off the SIM from future use. If you do this, you will not have problems following any update of the phone's O.S. Since you can always restore your contacts from the cloud. My contact list and supporting photos are now in perfect order, and they stay that way, period!
    moodyk13 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Fast View Post
    I recently updated my BlackBerry Q10 with the new update, and now all my contacts are screwed up. It appears that all my SIM contacts were deleted, and all my linked contacts became unlinked.

Posted via CB10
    While I can't tell you of a proper solution on how to get them back or how to re-link them, I can tell you that BlackBerry's contacts app is a total disaster and I'm (not) surprised to see they haven't fixed it with this last update.

For me, the only solution that seems to have worked so far was deleting each and every single contact off the device and SIM card and sync my contacts from one online source. In my case, it was Gmail and so far it's working just fine. Sorry to hear about you troubles and rest assured you are not alone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mozdony View Post
    No, and I will tell you why. I learned long ago to keep my contacts stored in the cloud and never on my SIM card. In my case, I exclusively use the AT&T Address Book. It is supplied free by my carrier and syncs automatically with my phone. So, I never lose my contacts even if I do a destructive O.S. Install. This, in my humble opinion, is the only way to go.

Never use the SIM card to store contact information. It will mess up your contact data without fail and it will not store all of your possible data points anyway. So, backup you contacts to your favorite cloud service, delete what is on your SIM card and shut off the SIM from future use. If you do this, you will not have problems following any update of the phone's O.S. Since you can always restore your contacts from the cloud. My contact list and supporting photos are now in perfect order, and they stay that way, period!
    Interesting and I love it. Where is the feature to disable the sim as a storage device? And can you post instructions on using a cloud service for contact backup? I am not very tech inclined but love the idea.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts

Yeah how do you disable sim from future use. Every time I create a new contact I have to go in and untick the SIM and Local options (I leave my Exchange account ticked). I'd love to not have to do that every time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Fast View Post
    My upgrade to SR 10.2.1.2941 caused no problems to my phone's Contacts.
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is there a way to move your contacts from the "local device" to a synced email account? I have 230 contacts all on local, and I have a Shaw account synced to my phone. Is there any relatively pain free way to sort of copy and paste them over or do I have to manually reenter each one?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ingris View Post
    Is there a way to move your contacts from the "local device" to a synced email account? I have 230 contacts all on local, and I have a Shaw account synced to my phone. Is there any relatively pain free way to sort of copy and paste them over or do I have to manually reenter each one?

Posted via CB10
    If you hold down on a contact, the side menu slides in. There is a "copy to" option, and you can select which accounts to copy that contact to. Use the "select more" option, highlight all the contacts you want, and copy those where ever you want.

That's fairly painless.

Posted via CB10

Joel
    CrackBerry Abuser

I seem to only have that option with unlinked local contacts. But if they are linked at all that option disappears. Any work around? Or do I have to unlink all my contacts?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

You can turn off the SIM contacts on your phone by entering the Contacts App and then swiping down from the top. This should then show a "Settings" icon in the upper right hand corner. Poke that Setting icon and then scroll to the bottom area of the new menu. There you will see the option to turn off you SIM Card Contacts. Don't get me wrong, you can still instruct your phone to copy contacts to the SIM card, even with the SIM Card Contacts switched off but they will no longer show up in your Contacts app when you open it for daily use. As to me, I never copy anything to the SIM. I have deleted every contact that was ever stored there and I keep it empty. Otherwise, the SIM Card will alter your Contact data, especially if a given contact has a home phone number and a work phone number associated with it. The SIM does not like home phone numbers and often changes it, on its own to being a work phone number. Then the Contact duplicates in your Contact list and the trouble goes on from there.

As to cloud accounts, there are some in Blackberry World and Outlook provides this function, if you have it on your computer. Others act in the same fashion and, perhaps other members of the community can chime in with what they use. For me, it is the AT&T Address Book which is supplied by my U.S. carrier, AT&T. My best advice it to use one and keep it backed up on your home computer, if you have one. AT&T's bloat ware offers the service automatically to me when I set up the phone. Once it has been utilized all of the information stored is saved by AT&T on their servers. For once AT&T came up with something useful, even if they are the last to push O.S. updates!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ingris View Post
    I seem to only have that option with unlinked local contacts. But if they are linked at all that option disappears. Any work around? Or do I have to unlink all my contacts?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, didn't know that linked contacts don't work that way. I don't link my contacts as I only keep one main contact source - my work exchange account, and just a few in local contacts that aren't related.

And, I had to delete the Facebook app to keep it from forcing my friends list into another contacts list and arbitrarily linking unrelated contacts.

Posted via CB10

Joel
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    391 Global Posts

You who are having contact issues check out my post here :

See Post : #62

LINK > 10.2.1.2941 first impressions (OS 3175)

Akawarrior..

Posted Via : z10 STL100-3 (3175/3140)
    Last edited by akawarrior; 05-29-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akawarrior View Post
    You who are having contact issues check out my post here :

See Post : #62

LINK :> 10.2.1.2941 first impressions (OS 3175)

Akawarrior..

Posted Via : z10 STL100-3 (3175/3140)
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/37102894

Link to app ak is referring to for those on CB10 app

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    akawarrior (05-29-2014)