I feel BlackBerry should focus on optimizing the current android runtime, instead of "trying" to update it. The roadmap focus are a great news, especially the account support, if it's going to be something regards to Google Play Services as everyone is assuming. Along with other key points, they should focus on optimizing the Runtime, so android apps don't open as they were opening on an android phone. Also, they should give an option to allow the app to run headless if it is supported on android. The user should be allowed to choose if they would like to allow the app to run headless. The notification can just come under general notification. At the moment, there is no need to update the runtime to 4.3 . As I believe, majority of android apps are still made to support 4.2.1 . The focus for 10.3 should be optimization for a better user experience, 4.3 support can come in a later update!
    04-15-14 07:19 PM
    Who is to say that's not what they mean? "Update" can mean anything.
    04-15-14 09:07 PM
    Who is to say that's not what they mean? "Update" can mean anything.
    Well it says trying to update to 4.3 . Unless, they haven't really optimized whenever they have updated it so far, so..
    04-15-14 09:23 PM
    I disagree. My opinion is that while the android player is a great stopgap to challenge people complaining about apps, many people are in BlackBerry because they specifically chose not to be in Android.
    If BlackBerry is going to expand its focus on integrating Android, what will they use to distinguish themselves from other handset distributors?
    04-15-14 09:30 PM
    What they need to do is update the runtime to Android 4.4. Better fluidity. And I think apps should launch faster if they go with 4.4.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    04-17-14 01:42 AM
    I actually don't see the point of "optimizing" Android runtime. Right now nobody needs more optimizing, everyone just needs Google Services integration

I think we can agree that demanding apps are usually the games. Standard apps that more people want such as, say, LINE, Path, Instagram etc etc don't actually use a lot of processing power.

The latest improvement to Android Runtime significantly improves performance on Real Racing 3 on my STL 100-1, to the point that I can expect stable 30fps or more. That's more than enough juice for low processing power requirement for apps that I mentioned

So I don't see the point of optimizing stuff. Upgrading the runtime will enable certain features for developers, or maybe even also improve performance at the same time. Who knows.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-17-14 02:08 AM
    I actually don't see the point of "optimizing" Android runtime. Right now nobody needs more optimizing, everyone just needs Google Services integration

I think we can agree that demanding apps are usually the games. Standard apps that more people want such as, say, LINE, Path, Instagram etc etc don't actually use a lot of processing power.

The latest improvement to Android Runtime significantly improves performance on Real Racing 3 on my STL 100-1, to the point that I can expect stable 30fps or more. That's more than enough juice for low processing power requirement for apps that I mentioned

So I don't see the point of optimizing stuff. Upgrading the runtime will enable certain features for developers, or maybe even also improve performance at the same time. Who knows.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    Google asks for way too much personal information...Right now Google Integration may not be a good idea...

Trusted Member Genius
    04-17-14 03:40 AM
    Google services also requires their apps to be front and centre, as well as also abiding by Google's every whim and fancy. The day I can only use a Gmail account to activate a BlackBerry is the day I find a new phone provider.

You're not going to get Google services people: accept that fact and move on. There's no case where that makes any kind of business sense for BlackBerry other than abandoning handsets entirely.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:05 AM
    What they need to do is update the runtime to Android 4.4. Better fluidity. And I think apps should launch faster if they go with 4.4.
    I couldn't agree more. Why not just skip 4.3 and go to 4.4 which has been designed to function well on lower memory devices. I installed Cyanogenmod 4.4 on a 4 year old Galaxy S Plus (single core) and it flies. Buttery smooth and responsive compared especially compared to the sluggish 2.3.6 it was running on before. 4.4 might benefit other aspects of BB10 by leaving more resources available for other processes and might be a better fit for the Z3 with its (rumoured 1.5GB of RAM). Maybe they know something we don't.

Posted via CB10
    AidenSurvival likes this.
    04-17-14 07:29 AM
    Android runtime desperately needs optimizations. I hope they switch to the latest version of android in 10.3.

At the moment, android apps takes way too much to load and in-app performance is kinda poor.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Sergiu1337; 04-17-14 at 07:59 AM.
    04-17-14 07:41 AM
    I don't care what version they use, but they need to continue to optimize the Android RT.

It needs better compatibility which seems to be coming in the next release, and it need to launch Android apps as fast as BlackBerry apps.

I always choose BlackBerry Native apps over Android, but I not a martyr. If I need the android app to get something done I will load it.

I am a big proponent of BlackBerry usurping Android apps into their own capabilities. And, if GSF will never be available, that's fine.

With Google Auth coming, and eventually Maps v2 support, that will probably be enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 07:57 AM
    I guess there will be optimizations since they are updating it and adding new features to it! Lets hope for the best!
    04-17-14 08:12 AM
    I feel BlackBerry should focus on optimizing the current android runtime, instead of "trying" to update it. The roadmap focus are a great news, especially the account support, if it's going to be something regards to Google Play Services as everyone is assuming. Along with other key points, they should focus on optimizing the Runtime, so android apps don't open as they were opening on an android phone. Also, they should give an option to allow the app to run headless if it is supported on android. The user should be allowed to choose if they would like to allow the app to run headless. The notification can just come under general notification. At the moment, there is no need to update the runtime to 4.3 . As I believe, majority of android apps are still made to support 4.2.1 . The focus for 10.3 should be optimization for a better user experience, 4.3 support can come in a later update!
    It's a great move, what YOU know about it?

About the headless app, it is coming!!

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 08:20 AM
    Google asks for way too much personal information...Right now Google Integration may not be a good idea...

Trusted Member Genius
    I wouldn't want to have Google prying on my BlackBerry too. What I meant with Google Services is actually just the ability to make those apps that need it run. It need not be actual Google stuff, just make sure that it can run. Like Google Maps API swapped with OpenMaps

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-18-14 05:13 AM
    An upgrade to 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 is actually a very big deal for BlackBerry.. 4.2 is where Google first added the SELinux kernel to Android, so there are a lot of changes that have to be made to get it working with QNX as the underlying OS..

Because, like QNX, SELinux is based on a Mandatory Access Control paradigm, there may be certain security mechanisms that can be optimized when moving to 4.2+ which may lead to performance improvements as well, and perhaps even an appearance of Android in the "work" side of Balance..

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 07:21 AM
    An upgrade to 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 is actually a very big deal for BlackBerry.. 4.2 is where Google first added the SELinux kernel to Android, so there are a lot of changes that have to be made to get it working with QNX as the underlying OS..

Because, like QNX, SELinux is based on a Mandatory Access Control paradigm, there may be certain security mechanisms that can be optimized when moving to 4.2+ which may lead to performance improvements as well, and perhaps even an appearance of Android in the "work" side of Balance..

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10.2 is already on 4.2.2.
    10.3 will bring 4.3.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 11:01 PM
    It is android runtime and ability to install android app that kill BlackBerry world. Most users will just visit android store and ignore BlackBerry market and this will discourage developers from making native apps for BlackBerry as there is no much download to cover the effort and this indirectly will kill BlackBerry platform itself. Too much focus have been put on android compatibility and less in native development

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os
    04-18-14 11:13 PM
    It is android runtime and ability to install android app that kill BlackBerry world. Most users will just visit android store and ignore BlackBerry market and this will discourage developers from making native apps for BlackBerry as there is no much download to cover the effort and this indirectly will kill BlackBerry platform itself. Too much focus have been put on android compatibility and less in native development

And there is a reason why Symbian isn't alive anymore. When BB10 came out first, the android compatibility sucked, it wasn't until 10.2 (October) where it got more acceptable.

There was no real native development in those 8 months and BlackBerry had/had no option but to fill in the game via android. You tell me if we had the apps in those 8 months, would BlackBerry waste resources on the Runtime?

You can't say they are not developing Native apps because there is android ports. How many developers have posted their Android Ports in BlackBerry World? Reality is Android or BB10, big developers don't know BlackBerry exists at the moment. And if Android Runtime is keeping people from running away from BB10 and waiting, there is nothing wrong with it.

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    04-18-14 11:19 PM
    I have developer friend that develop for both android and BlackBerry and he told me that he received quite a number of request support from BlackBerry users that downloaded android version when he actually develop for both platform and both free. He started to wonder if it is worth the effort to maintain the BlackBerry version.

04-19-14 04:34 AM
    Android apps already run headless on BB10.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    04-19-14 06:50 AM
    Android apps already run headless on BB10.

Not really

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 01:30 PM
    Not really

Posted via CB10
    Well, I downloaded an Android app called "Shush!" that detects when the phone has been muted and then opens a timer popup to let you choose when to switch back to Normal. I ran the app then closed it. Then I muted the phone and the timer appeared, even though the app wasn't in an active frame. It has to be running headless to do that.

I also installed Android Clean Master, ran it and closed it. Now, if I install another Android app it offers to move it to the SD card. It has to be running headless to do that too.

So yes, at least some Android apps are running headless.

04-19-14 02:18 PM
    Google will be quick to close this loophole, this pretty much explains Googles plans for Android. Amazon went through the whole process of replicating Google Play services for their Kindle Fire. I've said it before Google Play Services is DirectX from Microsoft, it's platform lock in.

Google gets dev's hooked on Play Services which only Google can provide that and Open Handset Alliance.

Don't get me wrong it was cool to see my favorite apps from iOS run on my Q10 as Android apps even if they were a bit sluggish and hard to navigate, but a lot of them depended on Google Play Services all of the Google apps. Maps which is the only app I wanted I purchased on Blackberry App world from a third party app vendor that used Google Maps data. Even PayPal used Google Play Services, which really surprised me.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    04-19-14 05:16 PM
    I agree. They should start building and supporting the foundation of the android runtime before they upgrade to 4.3. I think this because most apps are reliant on Google Play Services.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 06:09 PM