Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 73 of 73
Like Tree57Likes
  1. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #51  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AVPTI View Post
    Isn't RIM looking for over 100,000 apps at launch...the largest collection of apps of any mobile OS?
    Not on any mobile OS. They have said they will have the largest collection of apps on a NEW mobile platform...meaning that theirs will be larger than Androids was back in '08 and iOS back in '06(?). Which is basically meaningless, because those two platforms (mostly iOS) are what have driven apps to be where they're at now.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
  2. Kennedy.L's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    201 Posts
    #52  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    Looks like they are now backtracking and saying 70,000 apps will be available.

    RIM: We're Counting Down The Days Until BlackBerry 10

    "...There are 70,000 apps that have been built specifically for BlackBerry 10..."
    Do you have trouble reading?

    70,000 MADE does not imply that nobody is going to make any between now and launch..
    Pearl 8130 -> Storm 9500 -> Tour -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9800 -> Curve 3G -> Bold 9900 PlayBook (2.1.0.1032) -> Z10 and Q10. I need help.
  3. randall2580's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts
    #53  

    Default

    On the day WP8 "launched" (Oct 29th) they had 120,000 apps and bragged 46 of the top 50 mobile apps were available on launch day (instagram, viber, pinterest and Wells Fargo's banking app were the missing 4). They of course bragged of a whiz-bang whoop de do version of Skype that would only be available on WP. It was, and is still considered disappointing because there are major apps still missing from the portolio (Pandora will only come in 2013 and Microsoft reportedly had to do their own version of Instagram as Instagram would not spend any of their own money on the app according to the Verge).

    I would love to see an announcement from RIM that 100 of the top 100 apps will be available on the day you can pick up the phone. Lets go from there.
  4. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,024 Global Posts
    #54  

    Default

    One point too is that this is the first time RIM has forced developers to put the apps into App World like Apple does. It's probably helping the 'number' as well. Certainly seems to with the PlayBook having 30,000 apps in there despite only 2 million users.

    A lot of times, the press will make assumptions that there are only _____ apps on BlackBerry based upon what's in the store ... not realizing that developers could put apps on any website or store they wanted ... and many did without even bothering to submit to app world.

    For example, try to find this in App World

    Amazon.com Help: Kindle for BlackBerry

    http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...le/blackberry/
  5. rupam95's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    Global Posts
    794 Global Posts
    #55  

    Default

    I wouldn't mind with one App...only if it could do everything what other everyday apps could do.
  6. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #56  

    Default Re: Only 70,000 new apps at launch?

    I have one game already approved for BB10, and hope to be submitting another app in about two weeks. Hopefully up I'll have one or two more before launch. I'm trying to do my part to get a the number up...
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    Thanked by 2:
    BB_Bmore (12-07-2012),  Goint (12-07-2012) 
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
  7. StampyBeaverbrook's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #57  

    Default

    Are there 70,000 good apps in existence across all platforms? I will be very surprised if more than 2% of them aren't absolute junk.
  8. texazzpete's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    #58  

    Default

    Keep in mind that Wp8 launched with around 100k+ apps....and still got panned in nearly any review for having 'no apps'

    This will be the same fate BB10 will share in the review circuit. Prepare yourselves. It seems reviewers just compare app count with iOS App Store and Google Play and declare it an arid wasteland if the count is much lower.
  9. Goint's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    129 Posts
    #59  

    Default

    If RIM delivers over 100k app then everyone will say they are padding it with crapps.
    If RIM delivers under 100k then everyone will say it is a dead platform and devs don't care.

    I can't care either way, I just want Netflix on my playbook.
  10. StampyBeaverbrook's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #60  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goint View Post
    If RIM delivers over 100k app then everyone will say they are padding it with crapps.
    If RIM delivers under 100k then everyone will say it is a dead platform and devs don't care.

    I can't care either way, I just want Netflix on my playbook.
    Indeed. RIM should avoid the numbers game and concentrate on giving people what they want.
    Apple don't advertise the number of apps. They show their best ones in action. If people see things like JayCut and Pacemaker running on BB10, and they know Skype and Netflix aren't missing, then the BB will become a desirable device.
  11. southlander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,931 Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA
    #61  

    Default Only 70,000 new apps at launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    Keep in mind that Wp8 launched with around 100k+ apps....and still got panned in nearly any review for having 'no apps'

    This will be the same fate BB10 will share in the review circuit. Prepare yourselves. It seems reviewers just compare app count with iOS App Store and Google Play and declare it an arid wasteland if the count is much lower.
    Yep. I think this will be the headline. I think BB10 will be technically great, and different in an inspiring way. I think the reviewers will praise it for all that and then close out the reviews with "BUT... Without many apps.. And so on".

    Hopefully RIM can make it through all that and gain enough momentum to attract a lot of apps early on and close the gap to the point where its not all that significant. We'll see.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
  12. scalemaster34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,823 Posts
    #62  

    Default

    Those big numbers sound great, but let's face it most of us might have 30 Apps that we use. I'd rather RIM only had 10,000 really great apps, than 100,000 apps that are useless to ME.
  13. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,738 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,740 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #63  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Not on any mobile OS. They have said they will have the largest collection of apps on a NEW mobile platform...meaning that theirs will be larger than Androids was back in '08 and iOS back in '06(?). Which is basically meaningless, because those two platforms (mostly iOS) are what have driven apps to be where they're at now.
    This is a deliberate jab at Microsoft Windows Phone 7/8
  14. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,738 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,740 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #64  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    Keep in mind that Wp8 launched with around 100k+ apps....and still got panned in nearly any review for having 'no apps'

    This will be the same fate BB10 will share in the review circuit. Prepare yourselves. It seems reviewers just compare app count with iOS App Store and Google Play and declare it an arid wasteland if the count is much lower.
    Lumia 920 launched with 7000 (seven thousand) apps.
    lnichols likes this.
  15. Jonesy1966's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    803 Posts
    #65  

    Default

    We're seeing RIM only teasing with BB10 demos, showing only what they need to create some buzz and excitement and not much beyond that. From what I read between the lines RIM is doing something similar with app totals; under promise and over deliver. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we see far more than 100,000 apps at launch, just like we're going to see an OS that is going to probably blow more than our socks off!
  16. Jonesy1966's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    803 Posts
    #66  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    I have one game already approved for BB10, and hope to be submitting another app in about two weeks. Hopefully up I'll have one or two more before launch. I'm trying to do my part to get a the number up...
    I've been following dev blogs, forums and tweets for about a year now and it's encouraging to see the excitement that's building around BB10. There are a lot of devs out there who are touting the ease of creating for BB10 and the support they're getting from RIM. Of course you still get the die hards who basically refuse to have anything to do with RIM but they seem to be decidedly in the minority.
  17. AfroZepher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,179 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,180 Global Posts
    #67  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StampyBeaverbrook View Post
    Indeed. RIM should avoid the numbers game and concentrate on giving people what they want.
    Apple don't advertise the number of apps. They show their best ones in action. If people see things like JayCut and Pacemaker running on BB10, and they know Skype and Netflix aren't missing, then the BB will become a desirable device.
    More petitions to support!!! If you see fit. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and of course. . .
    Pandora®: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    Last edited by AfroZepher; 12-07-2012 at 10:24 PM.
  18. mrmartis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    162 Posts
    #68  

    Default

    This number 70,000 refers to BB10 apps not Android ported apps. (Playbook apps ported over are still considered Blackberry native unless they are android). For the current count for Blackberry 10 apps on Blackberry World refer to the Blackberry press announcements in the next month.
    Last edited by mrmartis; 12-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.
  19. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,524 Global Posts
    #69  

    Default Only 70,000 new apps at launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmartis View Post
    This number 70,000 refers to BB10 apps not Android ported apps. (Playbook apps ported over are still considered Blackberry native unless they are android). The current count for Blackberry 10 apps on Blackberry World brought to you courtesy of RIM's Ottawa office for Blackberry World is about 75,000 BB specific apps and more Android ported apps. I am not saying this is stone but the internal company goal is to have + 100,000 BB specific apps at launch. So with Android it will be a lot more.
    Source please.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    Thanked by:
    BB_Bmore (12-07-2012) 
  20. SuperionMaximus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    329 Posts
    #70  

    Default

    The positive spin is simple.

    BlackBerry 10 will launch with as many apps in BlackBerry world on day 1 as the Windows Store for Windows Phone has after 26 months on the market.

    If this does not speak volumes to the efforts RIM has made in building the best tools for developers to use and their grass roots developer relations I don't know what does.

    Think about it for a second. If RIM has 100 000+ apps on day 1 and is the easiest platform to port existing iOS and Android apps to, with the best dev tools, where do you think they will be in 26 months? Can you say "what app gap?" Cause it sure as **** looks as though RIM will close that gap in less then two years IF BlackBerry 10 sells. IF consumers take to the platform and buy the phones, nothing will stop the exponential growth of BlackBerry World.
    mrmartis likes this.
  21. RECOOL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,496 Global Posts
    #71  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperionMaximus View Post
    The positive spin is simple.

    BlackBerry 10 will launch with as many apps in BlackBerry world on day 1 as the Windows Store for Windows Phone has after 26 months on the market.

    If this does not speak volumes to the efforts RIM has made in building the best tools for developers to use and their grass roots developer relations I don't know what does.

    Think about it for a second. If RIM has 100 000+ apps on day 1 and is the easiest platform to port existing iOS and Android apps to, with the best dev tools, where do you think they will be in 26 months? Can you say "what app gap?" Cause it sure as **** looks as though RIM will close that gap in less then two years IF BlackBerry 10 sells. IF consumers take to the platform and buy the phones, nothing will stop the exponential growth of BlackBerry World.
    They don charge devs to put the app in store either do they ?? If so even more win.
  22. mathking606's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    714 Posts
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    #72  

    Default

    Supposedly there is 95000 apps for BB10 already and they are now aiming for 125 000 for launch

    Source:http://twitter.com/BlackberryScoop
  23. DJM626's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,074 Posts
    #73  

    Default

    I really don't care how many apps it has at launch. As long as there are good choices, and useful ones that make doing things easier or provide information mixed in with a little fun and I am happy. Whatever it DOESN'T have at launch, I am sure it is going to be just a matter of time before it appears on BB 10. When everyone sees how amazing this platform is, BB will be included in it, and it wont' be an afterthought like it is for all of us now. Good things come to those who wait, and we all know we have waited a long time, and are long over due for this spectacular phone
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM
  3. Another confirmation of available apps at launch...
    By kb5zht in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 02:34 AM
  4. Another confirmation of available apps at launch...
    By kb5zht in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 02:34 AM
  5. BlackBerry Balance & Playbook Battery Life/Apps at Launch
    By gohan_bcc in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 05:52 AM

Posting Permissions