As Matt stated earlier, they DO include ebooks in the App World numbers currently. I don't have exact numbers, but a quick search reveals thousands of ebooks. If this ratio stays the same, that's a considerable amount of padding that isn't present in other app stores. That being said, I am hopeful since they state that the apps are made specifically for BB10, that they aren't including ebooks in that total. Although even that statement could be purposefully misleading.
    The padding is there in other app stores, its just a different type of pading. I would love to see the number of UNIQUE apps in each app store.
    12-06-12 10:04 AM
    WOW! Just how many naff/useless apps does there have to be included in the grand total to be an acceptable number of apps to be comparable to other OS for some people? I think most of us waiting for BB10 to launch will take quality over quantity any day. :^)
    12-06-12 10:06 AM
    Even 70000 apps will be huge. It wont mean a lot of the top apps aren't part of the catalog, but 70k is still a great feat. I hope they're not padding out the numbers with things like ebooks and weblinks though.
    Windows RT is, what, around 20k?
    The Furbz likes this.
    12-06-12 10:07 AM
    the most interesting thing to me was the confirmation of the ability to have 2 twitter accounts logged in at the same time (one for work and one for personal use). BB10 is the first to do this, correct?
    12-06-12 10:22 AM
    70,000 apps. How many of them will be part of the app graveyard? iOS and Android have a massive app graveyard with apps which have never been downloaded once.
    Really? Not even once? :-) How many are there?
    12-06-12 10:25 AM
    Looks like they are now backtracking and saying 70,000 apps will be available.
    It's December 6th, the announcement is January 30th and the availability is likely sometime in February. In the meantime, developers are still creating apps, and repackaging Android apps.
    12-06-12 10:28 AM
    "Just 70,000?" It took windows phone a while to get to that, so this is a good sign. Only 70,000........lol.
    eyhab27 and Steve Rizla like this.
    12-06-12 10:44 AM
    Didn't the PlayBook launch with about 3,000?
    12-06-12 10:45 AM
    The padding is there in other app stores, its just a different type of pading. I would love to see the number of UNIQUE apps in each app store.
    By unique you mean functionality wise? That'd probably depend on the individual's opinion of "unique functionality". It would be interesting though.

Sure all app stores have the "web link" apps and completely useless "advertising apps" as padding, but the ebooks are extra padding that isn't present in other app stores. At least for Google and Apple, there are different front ends that house the ebooks.
    12-06-12 10:50 AM
    It's December 6th, the announcement is January 30th and the availability is likely sometime in February. In the meantime, developers are still creating apps, and repackaging Android apps.
    Yes, exactly, the hype isn't dying out, and will most likely grow even more after the launch.

"Just 70,000?" It took windows phone a while to get to that, so this is a good sign. Only 70,000........lol.
    I know, I don't think people understand the time and effort needed to develop 1 application, 70,000 is a whole different idea.

Didn't the PlayBook launch with about 3,000?
    Yes:
    At the initial launch, between 2,000 and 3,000 apps were available from the BlackBerry App World. As of May 1, 2012, there are over 24,700 PlayBook applications available in BlackBerry App World.
    Says Wikipedia
    12-06-12 10:51 AM
    Windows RT is, what, around 20k?
    Maybe...I have no idea, I don't use or follow RT.
    12-06-12 10:51 AM
    BB has well over 100K apps already.

Whats wrong with 70K apps on a new platform??? RIM have criterias its about quality not quantity with BB.Are you or anyone gonna download 70,000 apps?? Reality is its already too much thats way beyond excess.Seriously people must have something better to do with their lifes other than count apps and download them.

Not to be a but its basic reading comprehension.70,000 apps have been built specifically for BB10 ,this says nothing about total of apps available for the phone on release day.Article does not talk about the number of apps being ported over just that 70,000 apps have been built specifically for BB10.There will be more than 70k apps available at launch.
    12-06-12 11:12 AM
    BB has well over 100K apps already.

Whats wrong with 70K apps on a new platform??? RIM have criterias its about quality not quantity with BB.Are you or anyone gonna download 70,000 apps?? Reality is its already too much thats way beyond excess.Seriously people must have something better to do with their lifes other than count apps and download them.

Not to be a but its basic reading comprehension.70,000 apps have been built specifically for BB10 ,this says nothing about total of apps available for the phone on release day.Article does not talk about the number of apps being ported over just that 70,000 apps have been built specifically for BB10.There will be more than 70k apps available at launch.
    That was my take on it from reading the article as well. "...built specifically for BlackBerry 10." to me implies that he is not counting Android apps that have been repackaged. It is debatable whether he is counting native Playbook apps in the total as the Playbook may be considered part of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem since it is built upon the same foundations as BlackBerry 10.

But like some one said earlier, regardless of how you slice it, 70 000 is a huge number of apps on Day 1. Windows Phone launched with 7000 and just past 120 000 this week. If he's not counting repackaged Android Apps and really does mean only native apps, RIM will blow their target of 100 000 apps in BB World for BB 10 on launch day out of the water and will have a greater number of apps in the store on Day 1 then Windows Phone has after more then 2 years on the market.

Anyone who says using open source and industry standards in BB 10 or that BB Jam was a bad idea is clearly mistaken as RIM is demonstrating that catering to developers and supporting the tools they already know and use and taking a real grass roots approach to community building is paying off more then Microsoft's billions of dollars thrown at developers to rewrite their apps using proprietary Microsoft standards with Microsoft's dev tools.

With BB 10, because it supports Qt/QML, Open GL, C++, HTML 5, Adobe Air, and Android Java, if you're already an iOS or Android Developer, its very little effort to take your existing apps and get them on BlackBerry 10.

Another way of looking at it is that there is there is currently only around 70 000 apps in App World for BB OS devices and not all apps support all devices. So Day 1, we will have a dramatically better store experience then we currently have now on our BlackBerrys.

Because of the effort that RIM put into the dev tools for BB 10, if the phones sell, mark my words, RIM will totally close the app gap with the two big players in less then 2 years. The hard job now is winning back customers. Frank better prove he is as good at marketing products to consumers as he is to carriers.
    12-06-12 11:56 AM
    By unique you mean functionality wise? That'd probably depend on the individual's opinion of "unique functionality". It would be interesting though.

Sure all app stores have the "web link" apps and completely useless "advertising apps" as padding, but the ebooks are extra padding that isn't present in other app stores. At least for Google and Apple, there are different front ends that house the ebooks.
    im talking about 1000 spider solitaire games. that should count as 1, regardless of app store.
    12-06-12 11:58 AM
    im talking about 1000 spider solitaire games. that should count as 1, regardless of app store.
    That's never going to happen, especially if there are different developers for those apps.

Next people will expect all players with stores to quote unique app downloads (ie. exclude updates from Facebook 1.0 to 1.0.1; and uninstalling and reinstalling the same app). Or quote the mean, median and mode of App selling prices instead of bragging about the aggregate number paid to developers.

Isn't going to happen. Stats like this (however 'funny') are here to stay
    12-06-12 12:28 PM
    "...There are 70,000 apps hat have been built specifically for BlackBerry 10..."

Do you think that this is hinting at the "Built for BlackBerry" Certification?
    If so, then 70,000 'Built for BlackBerry' Apps is way better than 70,000 PlayBook apps. That means that they have met certain criteria...Amazing!
    12-06-12 12:30 PM
    "Give me 10 great apps (plus or minus a dozen) or give me death"
    "Who needs 99,990 dead apps?"

- Patrick Henry
    12-06-12 01:07 PM
    I always appreciate your commentary, but I haven't seen you this positive on RIM for a while now!
    Then you have been reading quite selectively, LOL. He's usually fairly balanced.
    mikeo007 and anon(3896606) like this.
    12-06-12 02:04 PM
    Wtf... 70k is amazing for a new platform launch.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    12-06-12 02:35 PM

Not necessarily, Google play does have tons of ebooks pretending to be apps. 'devs' like oceanhouse, who has about 70 'ebook' apps, are all over Google play. The padding is there...but whether its ebooks or other cr-apps, I really do hope the quality is there, and, as one of the previous posts mentioned, the Built for Blackberry designation will be key in identifying the number of quality apps (provided the criteria for the designation is set properly).
    12-06-12 03:06 PM
    I'm just hoping that a lot of places get on board. I'm tired of seeing apps advertised for everything and finding that they are only available for Iphone or Android.
    12-06-12 03:54 PM
    hopefully tumblr is one of those apps
    12-06-12 04:10 PM
    Not necessarily, Google play does have tons of ebooks pretending to be apps. 'devs' like oceanhouse, who has about 70 'ebook' apps, are all over Google play. The padding is there...but whether its ebooks or other cr-apps, I really do hope the quality is there, and, as one of the previous posts mentioned, the Built for Blackberry designation will be key in identifying the number of quality apps (provided the criteria for the designation is set properly).
    Right, I guess I'm just not being clear. I understand there are filler apps everywhere. But the other major ecosystems have dedicated sections for books. Even if some books sneak in under the guise of apps (and they do, on AppStore and Google Play) there are a larger percentage of them currently in App World for the simple fact that there's nowhere else for them to go.

Maybe App Wold 10 will launch with 70k apps alongside BB Video Store 10 and BB Books 10, who knows.
    12-06-12 04:13 PM
    When I hear "built specifically" it sounds like they have excluded android ported apps. So 70,000 is a very nice number in my book.
    12-06-12 04:16 PM
    70k or 170k..it does not really matter. What matters are the top 200 and Rim says they are there. They can launch with a half million apps but if a handful of top apps are missing they are gonna get crucified. I would think since their life depends on BlackBerry10 they did everything they had too to make sure the ones that matter are there!
    12-06-12 04:23 PM
73 123