Isn't RIM looking for over 100,000 apps at launch...the largest collection of apps of any mobile OS?
    Not on any mobile OS. They have said they will have the largest collection of apps on a NEW mobile platform...meaning that theirs will be larger than Androids was back in '08 and iOS back in '06(?). Which is basically meaningless, because those two platforms (mostly iOS) are what have driven apps to be where they're at now.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    12-06-12 06:40 PM
    Looks like they are now backtracking and saying 70,000 apps will be available.

RIM: We're Counting Down The Days Until BlackBerry 10

"...There are 70,000 apps that have been built specifically for BlackBerry 10..."
    Do you have trouble reading?

70,000 MADE does not imply that nobody is going to make any between now and launch..
    12-06-12 08:01 PM
    On the day WP8 "launched" (Oct 29th) they had 120,000 apps and bragged 46 of the top 50 mobile apps were available on launch day (instagram, viber, pinterest and Wells Fargo's banking app were the missing 4). They of course bragged of a whiz-bang whoop de do version of Skype that would only be available on WP. It was, and is still considered disappointing because there are major apps still missing from the portolio (Pandora will only come in 2013 and Microsoft reportedly had to do their own version of Instagram as Instagram would not spend any of their own money on the app according to the Verge).

I would love to see an announcement from RIM that 100 of the top 100 apps will be available on the day you can pick up the phone. Lets go from there.
    12-06-12 08:16 PM
    One point too is that this is the first time RIM has forced developers to put the apps into App World like Apple does. It's probably helping the 'number' as well. Certainly seems to with the PlayBook having 30,000 apps in there despite only 2 million users.

A lot of times, the press will make assumptions that there are only _____ apps on BlackBerry based upon what's in the store ... not realizing that developers could put apps on any website or store they wanted ... and many did without even bothering to submit to app world.

For example, try to find this in App World

Amazon.com Help: Kindle for BlackBerry

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...le/blackberry/
    12-06-12 09:08 PM
    I wouldn't mind with one App...only if it could do everything what other everyday apps could do.
    12-06-12 09:24 PM
    I have one game already approved for BB10, and hope to be submitting another app in about two weeks. Hopefully up I'll have one or two more before launch. I'm trying to do my part to get a the number up...
    12-06-12 10:42 PM
    Are there 70,000 good apps in existence across all platforms? I will be very surprised if more than 2% of them aren't absolute junk.
    12-06-12 11:41 PM
    Keep in mind that Wp8 launched with around 100k+ apps....and still got panned in nearly any review for having 'no apps'

This will be the same fate BB10 will share in the review circuit. Prepare yourselves. It seems reviewers just compare app count with iOS App Store and Google Play and declare it an arid wasteland if the count is much lower.
    12-07-12 12:13 AM
    If RIM delivers over 100k app then everyone will say they are padding it with crapps.
    If RIM delivers under 100k then everyone will say it is a dead platform and devs don't care.

I can't care either way, I just want Netflix on my playbook.
    12-07-12 12:33 AM
    If RIM delivers over 100k app then everyone will say they are padding it with crapps.
    If RIM delivers under 100k then everyone will say it is a dead platform and devs don't care.

I can't care either way, I just want Netflix on my playbook.
    Indeed. RIM should avoid the numbers game and concentrate on giving people what they want.
    Apple don't advertise the number of apps. They show their best ones in action. If people see things like JayCut and Pacemaker running on BB10, and they know Skype and Netflix aren't missing, then the BB will become a desirable device.
    12-07-12 02:03 AM
    Keep in mind that Wp8 launched with around 100k+ apps....and still got panned in nearly any review for having 'no apps'

This will be the same fate BB10 will share in the review circuit. Prepare yourselves. It seems reviewers just compare app count with iOS App Store and Google Play and declare it an arid wasteland if the count is much lower.
    Yep. I think this will be the headline. I think BB10 will be technically great, and different in an inspiring way. I think the reviewers will praise it for all that and then close out the reviews with "BUT... Without many apps.. And so on".

Hopefully RIM can make it through all that and gain enough momentum to attract a lot of apps early on and close the gap to the point where its not all that significant. We'll see.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-07-12 03:27 AM
    Those big numbers sound great, but let's face it most of us might have 30 Apps that we use. I'd rather RIM only had 10,000 really great apps, than 100,000 apps that are useless to ME.
    12-07-12 08:12 AM
    Not on any mobile OS. They have said they will have the largest collection of apps on a NEW mobile platform...meaning that theirs will be larger than Androids was back in '08 and iOS back in '06(?). Which is basically meaningless, because those two platforms (mostly iOS) are what have driven apps to be where they're at now.
    This is a deliberate jab at Microsoft Windows Phone 7/8
    12-07-12 09:38 AM

Lumia 920 launched with 7000 (seven thousand) apps.
    lnichols likes this.
    12-07-12 09:38 AM
    We're seeing RIM only teasing with BB10 demos, showing only what they need to create some buzz and excitement and not much beyond that. From what I read between the lines RIM is doing something similar with app totals; under promise and over deliver. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we see far more than 100,000 apps at launch, just like we're going to see an OS that is going to probably blow more than our socks off!
    12-07-12 04:53 PM
    I have one game already approved for BB10, and hope to be submitting another app in about two weeks. Hopefully up I'll have one or two more before launch. I'm trying to do my part to get a the number up...
    I've been following dev blogs, forums and tweets for about a year now and it's encouraging to see the excitement that's building around BB10. There are a lot of devs out there who are touting the ease of creating for BB10 and the support they're getting from RIM. Of course you still get the die hards who basically refuse to have anything to do with RIM but they seem to be decidedly in the minority.
    12-07-12 05:01 PM
    Indeed. RIM should avoid the numbers game and concentrate on giving people what they want.
    Apple don't advertise the number of apps. They show their best ones in action. If people see things like JayCut and Pacemaker running on BB10, and they know Skype and Netflix aren't missing, then the BB will become a desirable device.
    More petitions to support!!! If you see fit. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and of course. . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    Last edited by AfroZepher; 12-07-12 at 10:24 PM.
    12-07-12 05:04 PM
    This number 70,000 refers to BB10 apps not Android ported apps. (Playbook apps ported over are still considered Blackberry native unless they are android). For the current count for Blackberry 10 apps on Blackberry World refer to the Blackberry press announcements in the next month.
    Last edited by mrmartis; 12-07-12 at 07:20 PM.
    12-07-12 05:39 PM
    This number 70,000 refers to BB10 apps not Android ported apps. (Playbook apps ported over are still considered Blackberry native unless they are android). The current count for Blackberry 10 apps on Blackberry World brought to you courtesy of RIM's Ottawa office for Blackberry World is about 75,000 BB specific apps and more Android ported apps. I am not saying this is stone but the internal company goal is to have + 100,000 BB specific apps at launch. So with Android it will be a lot more.
    Source please.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    12-07-12 06:10 PM
    The positive spin is simple.

BlackBerry 10 will launch with as many apps in BlackBerry world on day 1 as the Windows Store for Windows Phone has after 26 months on the market.

If this does not speak volumes to the efforts RIM has made in building the best tools for developers to use and their grass roots developer relations I don't know what does.

Think about it for a second. If RIM has 100 000+ apps on day 1 and is the easiest platform to port existing iOS and Android apps to, with the best dev tools, where do you think they will be in 26 months? Can you say "what app gap?" Cause it sure as **** looks as though RIM will close that gap in less then two years IF BlackBerry 10 sells. IF consumers take to the platform and buy the phones, nothing will stop the exponential growth of BlackBerry World.
    mrmartis likes this.
    12-07-12 07:58 PM
    The positive spin is simple.

BlackBerry 10 will launch with as many apps in BlackBerry world on day 1 as the Windows Store for Windows Phone has after 26 months on the market.

If this does not speak volumes to the efforts RIM has made in building the best tools for developers to use and their grass roots developer relations I don't know what does.

Think about it for a second. If RIM has 100 000+ apps on day 1 and is the easiest platform to port existing iOS and Android apps to, with the best dev tools, where do you think they will be in 26 months? Can you say "what app gap?" Cause it sure as **** looks as though RIM will close that gap in less then two years IF BlackBerry 10 sells. IF consumers take to the platform and buy the phones, nothing will stop the exponential growth of BlackBerry World.
    They don charge devs to put the app in store either do they ?? If so even more win.
    12-07-12 10:02 PM
    Supposedly there is 95000 apps for BB10 already and they are now aiming for 125 000 for launch

Source:http://twitter.com/BlackberryScoop
    12-07-12 10:07 PM
    I really don't care how many apps it has at launch. As long as there are good choices, and useful ones that make doing things easier or provide information mixed in with a little fun and I am happy. Whatever it DOESN'T have at launch, I am sure it is going to be just a matter of time before it appears on BB 10. When everyone sees how amazing this platform is, BB will be included in it, and it wont' be an afterthought like it is for all of us now. Good things come to those who wait, and we all know we have waited a long time, and are long over due for this spectacular phone
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    12-08-12 01:40 AM
73 123