Why can't BB have a single OS update for all devices like Apple does? BB is the only company apart from Apple which has control over its OS.

This is crucial at a time when Network operators are leaving their hand. Blackberry can show its strength by providing timely updates from its end irrespecitive of the Network Operators.

Apple is not dependant on network operators.

I assume such a move will be extremely cost efficient since it will remove the extra work needed for different fw versions.

Also it will bring loyalty among the customers since everyone will get the update at the same time.
    07-16-14 04:06 AM
    Apple for all intents and purposes has one device that's gone through multiple iterations. BlackBerry currently has five BB10 devices with very different hardware. That said though, the core OS is the same on each device, but BlackBerry isn't in the kind of position to pressure carriers to push out updates like Apple can.

Apple also has different OS versions, they just market and list them under the same version number while BlackBerry shows the distinct OD version for say an all touch CDMA device, which would be different than a QWERTY GSM device. Carrier branding is also another big difference so each software version is carrier specific to some extent.

In both instances for BlackBerry, the onus is on the carrier to release the update.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 05:20 AM
    The problem stays with the fact that all service providers have to test the OS, more specific the Radio files being compatible with their networks.

I recall reading somewhere that Apple has their own "state of the art" testing lab to test their Radio files for all of their OS updates. that's why they can distribute the OS them selves and not Service providers.

If i am wrong on any of the above, someone please correct me.

Cheers
    07-17-14 05:47 PM
    One of the main points of BB10 was that the radio and OS were separate so BlackBerry could push out OS updates without the Vendors needing to worry about it. But the Vendors obviously didn't let that happen. Since the Vendors are the first line of support, they retained the right to approve all parts of the OS to manage their support volumes.
    07-17-14 10:16 PM
    One of the main points of BB10 was that the radio and OS were separate so BlackBerry could push out OS updates without the Vendors needing to worry about it. But the Vendors obviously didn't let that happen. Since the Vendors are the first line of support, they retained the right to approve all parts of the OS to manage their support volumes.
    I've heard lots of users say this, but I've never heard it from anyone in BlackBerry or a carrier. Since the carriers provide the first line of support for user problems, they have a vested interest in ensuring the OS performs, and that their support workers understand the device. It would be nice if they actually did something on this front other than delay and bloat updates, but there you are.

Also, the radio or baseband layer only defines the interface between the phone and the carrier network. There applications in the OS proper that the carriers have a direct interest in: phone, sms, network stack and others.
    07-18-14 06:21 AM
    This was something Kevin stated in the early phases of BB10 development.
    07-18-14 06:27 PM
    Carriers want to test and control the user experience that their customers get. This means that they test EVERYTHING. They won't officially sanction an OS on a device their customer bought, if they haven't tested it. Beyond that, i'm sure it comes down to resourcing, and return on investment. I hear testing is expensive, and low volume phones (sadly, like BlackBerry) don't get as much testing money thrown at them. Don't forget that Apple only puts out one major update per year. I'm sure if BlackBerry only did one update a year, it would be easier to get all the carriers on board for a global launch.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 07:00 PM
    This was something Kevin stated in the early phases of BB10 development.
    I have a great deal of respect for Kevin but he isn't an official spokes person for BlackBerry. It is clear that BlackBerry can upgrade parts of the OS because they have done so (released through the carriers). They have also placed a number of applications that used to be upgraded only with new OS releases in BB World so they can be upgraded by themselves. But being able to do something doesn't mean it would be allowed under their contractual obligations to the carriers.
    07-18-14 09:52 PM
    I think, one update a year works for everybody. We dont really need an update every month. Like I said.

1. Pushing Only one upgrade a year, brings consistency and stability to the device since you are not on a rushed timetable.
    2. Since all users will get the same update at the same time geographically and for all devices. I am sure it makes all BB users happy.
    3. Making the OS generic for all BB10 phones should be cost effective.
    4. As far as network testing is concerned I dont see a single reason for the need of network testing.

One FW update for all devices globally every year is the best way IMHO. I think a fully running 10.3 this year and a fully running 10.4 next year is something all of us would want than getting small 100mb updates. It's working for Apple (Android and windows too), it should work for BB too.

For eg win8.1 is coming to all devices almost at the same time. My old school lumia 520 and 620 will get the update withing a time difference of one month.Not bad.
    07-19-14 03:41 AM