When I search within the hub using a contact's phone number (as opposed to their name), a whole bunch of text messages comes up, dating back months.

These are all texts that have been deleted long ago and don't appear anywhere in the hub other than during a search.

They show up with the standard one-line preview. When I click into each one, they are blank.

I then have to manually delete each one again (a bulk deletion won't work).

Any ideas on where these texts are being stored, and why they won't delete completely from the system?

(By the way, many of these messages date back from before the OS update, and they seem to have survived various hard resets, battery pulls etc.)

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:48 PM
    When I search within the hub using a contact's phone number (as opposed to their name), a whole bunch of text messages comes up, dating back months.

These are all texts that have been deleted long ago and don't appear anywhere in the hub other than during a search.

They show up with the standard one-line preview. When I click into each one, they are blank.

I then have to manually delete each one again (a bulk deletion won't work).

Any ideas on where these texts are being stored, and why they won't delete completely from the system?

(By the way, many of these messages date back from before the OS update, and they seem to have survived various hard resets, battery pulls etc.)

Posted via CB10
    I think if you go into the search settings and unstick texts it will stop doing that.
    03-22-14 07:26 PM
    Thanks. I've had a look at that but I'm not sure where to find that option.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 07:38 PM
    Thanks. I've had a look at that but I'm not sure where to find that option.

Posted via CB10
    Open search then pull down from the top hit the setting icon and your off to the races.

Posted on my z30 running 10.2.1.2234
    03-22-14 07:41 PM
    There are just three tabs that appear - history, categories and extended.

I can't see anything about unsticking texts. Sorry if I'm being dense here.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 07:43 PM
    There are just three tabs that appear - history, categories and extended.

I can't see anything about unsticking texts. Sorry if I'm being dense here.

Posted via CB10
    Press the categories and they will appear. Then just uncheck.
    03-22-14 07:45 PM
    Ah - I see. Thanks.

I've tried that now, though, and it's made no difference.

The thing is, I think it's a bug rather than a deliberate feature.

After all, the texts themselves are blank when you open them up - they just appear in the search list with the number they are from (not the contact name, strangely) and the first line of the message.

But when you go into them, they are blank.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 07:50 PM
    Ah - I see. Thanks.

I've tried that now, though, and it's made no difference.

The thing is, I think it's a bug rather than a deliberate feature.

After all, the texts themselves are blank when you open them up - they just appear in the search list with the number they are from (not the contact name, strangely) and the first line of the message.

But when you go into them, they are blank.

Posted via CB10
    They still show up after unchecking
    03-22-14 07:51 PM
    Yes. But only as previews.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 08:13 PM
    The problem is getting worse.

Having found this issue by accident yesterday, I've done further searches and discovered that it's possible to find remnants of hundreds of old text messages stretching back for months.

They all show the phone number plus first line of text in the search preview, but they all appear blank when they are opened.

And it is proving impossible to delete some of them.

I don't understand why this is happening - and I'd really like to know where to find them on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 05:05 AM
    I would factory reset that phone, start everything fresh and see where that takes me. Connect to Link and hit the factory reset button but after a backup of course, also copy all your contacts to sim. Before doing a complete fresh setup or restore from backup... enter your BlackBerry ID as it will request this of you. Connect to mobile network and wifi as per normal. Now check if texts remnants are still stored. If not, try a full restore from backup and see what happens. If problem recurs then just stick with the first suggestion of restoring and fresh setup.. no restore from backup.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TrueKulcha; 03-23-14 at 11:13 AM.
    03-23-14 05:37 AM
    Great - I'll give that a go!

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 05:48 AM
    I've been through the whole process of backing-up, restoring to factory settings and then restoring the phone, but the issue is still there.

I appreciate that I can wipe my phone and start again without restoring my current settings, but that is an unsatisfactory option.

The remnants of all those SMS messages must be somewhere on my phone - does anyone have any ideas where they might be?

This is a serious security flaw - in effect, I am currently unable to delete my text history.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 03:02 AM
    It seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...search-913076/
    03-24-14 03:24 AM
    Only solution may be the fresh installation and setup. I know it's not an ideal situation but at least the problem will be solved. If there was no solution then that was another story. Backup your phone contacts to your sim card because that's the only thing that you stand to lose permanently if you don't along with android apps if you have. All your BlackBerry World apps are tied to your ID and your emails will be synced over so no worries. Factory reset and setup when done. Oh and save all media to memory card too so you won't lose those.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 07:39 AM
    I have solved this problem through trial and error. It's not ideal and is quite hard work, but it does seem to do the trick.

By searching for "477" (a three-digit code that appears near the start of all UK mobile phone numbers), hundreds of remnants of old text messages appear. There is just ONE way to delete them, I've found.

Select each one and hit delete, and it works. But it doesn't work if you select mutiple text messages at the same time. And it also doesn't work if you go into a text message and delete it from there.

It has to be done on a one-by-one basis, and only from the list of messages.

Even then, the texts don't disappear from the list straight away, but when you do a new search they will have disappeared.

I've no idea why this is the case, but it works.
    03-31-14 03:46 PM