Im a proud owner of a Q10 and have been waiting anxiously for the 10.1MR update which was released in my country earlier today.

I have read extensively about the potential problems with the 10.1MR update especially the SMS/text history dissappearing so I made backups on both mine and a friends phone prior to updating.

My friends phone was using the same inital OS as mine (10.1.0.2309) and even though his phone has always had problems (bad battery life, heats up, cant delete texts) his phone upgraded to 10.1MR without any problems and mine didn't!

He retained all his texts/smses but mine are missing.

The main difference in settings were:
    Blackberry protect is off.
    Phone and card encryption off.
    Device password disabled.

I think the encryption made a difference.

As I am typing this, I am attempting to remove both phone and card encryption on my device, do a security wipe, reload 10.1MR again, do another security wipe and then restore from the backup I made right before the update. Hopefully it restores the sms/texts.

Meanwhile, to those with sms/text problems when updating to 10.1MR my question is did you have your phone data encrypted?

P.S: My friends update was 6MB larger than mine. Which i found strange. I might experiment with his version of the update if my initial plan fails.
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 08-26-13 at 06:05 PM.
    08-26-13 05:48 PM
    Thanks for sharing...might help those with issues with their texts. When I updated, I didn't have any issues, and Protect was on, no password
    08-26-13 08:26 PM
    Thanks for sharing...might help those with issues with their texts. When I updated, I didn't have any issues, and Protect was on, no password
    How about encryption?
    08-27-13 01:28 AM
    I lost all my text messages too.

On my side : no phone / card encryption, no password but BlackBerry Protect activated. However, as I was travelling and roaming, BlackBerry Protect couldn't work properly.

I also put a phone password (only numbers and the reduced key pad), but I don't think it was activated and actually this feature of small keypad came along with 10.1 MR so I'm actually quite sure not to have a phone password on at that time.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 01:50 AM
    Encryption will increase the time it takes to read/write to the memory card and phone flash memory so that certainly could slow things down.

More importantly - a security wipe typically erases the encryption key in the device which will result in an encrypted memory card becoming unreadable and the data unrecoverable.

Even if you don't plan on doing a security wipe, you might be forced to in order to re-load some other OS version, so be very careful about the encrypted cards.

The general consensus for people who install BB10 OS leaks (which typically involve at least one security wipe during the install/update), is to decrypt any encrypted cards BEFORE attempting to do the install/update.
    08-27-13 06:50 AM