Can the nsa spy on blackberry? Do you have to encrypt the phone first? I know encryption is an option in settings.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:25 PM
    If they really wanted to they could go to your carrier. Bbm on the other hand I couldn't really speak on, but given that it travels through BlackBerry's NOC server I'd assume not.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    01-03-14 09:27 PM
    Check out this report.

The way I see it, BlackBerry might be able to capitalize on the issue that is troubling many people. Just like McAfee in the early years of the first computer virus outbreak.

I don't think the NSA or similar covert activities on an international scale will be going away soon. It will likely become worse. So much the better for BlackBerry. It is equivalent to a Swiss Army knife in the utility knife industry. BlackBerry invokes one thing in mind: SECURITY.

Which "crypto-phone" will people choose for the new critical tasks: an ios phone, a Windows phone, an Android phone, or a BlackBerry? Forgive me if I am prejudiced, but I think only an id!ot will pick the first one.
    01-03-14 11:15 PM
    Your Crypto Phone is obsolete

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20837...-computer.html

Z10 10.2.1.1925 via CB10
    01-03-14 11:19 PM
    Might be - not is - if the NSA has and is even able to effectively use a quantum computer at present. Still, I believe BlackBerry will win over the other phones in terms of security. Imagine you holding a BlackBerry that is defending you against that billion-dollar-backed Goliath.
    01-03-14 11:25 PM
    I see three things:

Business - The NSA scandal or scare that can boost BlackBerry's business, operation, or image in one way or another; if the company is able to take advantage of it. Maybe, it's already in the Plan.

Reality - Whether using BlackBerry devices makes one immune from spying or not. I don't expect the spies to tell the real score or that people will believe them even if they do. From our perspective, there's always that fog of war. And maybe, from their perspective, too.

Hope - Keeping fingers crossed that BlackBerry is protecting us, or will be able to if it isn't. As for the commercial carriers, well...
    01-03-14 11:49 PM
    Honestly, no one can say yes or no right now. At least until a future leak confirms that they can or can not.
    But out of all the major mobiles OSes, I think they're on top. They always been fighting for security and continuing to increase it.
    IPhone's security have been confirmed in a leaked to be comprismised by the NSA. They have the ability to turn on the camera even.
    And it's known that the NSA helps write some of the source code for the Android project.
    I'm don't follow Security news but from headline stuff, this is what I've read.
    Youssef likes this.
    01-04-14 12:49 AM
    Turn on the cam! Lol wow..

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 05:22 AM
    01-04-14 05:40 AM
    So, create better software and make things more difficult for the spies.
    01-04-14 06:10 AM
    Turn on the cam! Lol wow..
    Check this out.
    01-04-14 06:19 AM
    Why is everyone bothered if the NSA or whoever is the equivalent in your country listening to calls or intercepting emails and texts?

If you have nothing to hide then why should it bother you?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 08:04 AM
    Why is everyone bothered if the NSA or whoever is the equivalent in your country listening to calls or intercepting emails and texts?

Posted via CB10
    A lot of people who have had nothing to hide have been jailed or killed by their governments just because they could or they don't like your race.

Yes I have nothing to hide but I also don't think my life should be an open book for them to manipulate if they choose.
    01-04-14 08:15 AM
    Why is everyone bothered if the NSA or whoever is the equivalent in your country listening to calls or intercepting emails and texts? If you have nothing to hide then why should it bother you?
    Imagine.

You have nothing to hide, but would you feel comfortable if some covert entity reads all your mails; listens to and records all your phone conversations; checks all your bills and financial transactions; takes pictures of you (your family members, relatives, and friends) [even using your smart phone's camera if technology permits]; and does many other things to you and your life either for some undisclosed reasons or for the USA's "national security" all the time and all without your prior knowledge and approval?

Sometimes, one may think that he has nothing to hide, but some people might have other ideas or plans for him.
    01-04-14 08:36 AM
    After spending an hour watching this video from one of the latest security events i am a bit confused at the moment.

01-04-14 08:36 AM
    Some one should make a Obama bbm channel

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Okay buuuuudaaaay.
    Great argument. You must have been on your high school debate team, winning many national debating accolades.
    01-04-14 11:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Some of us appreciate the principle of basic privacy, it's got nothing to do with "hiding" anything. America is so liberal anymore though that nobody cares about privacy.

I don't care how secured or not secured my BlackBerry is from the NSA or anyone else, I despise Google Inc and think iOS is Fischer Price on a smartphone, so keep tossing out those "your device isn't anymore secure than mine" arguments folks. Keep em coming. The BlackBerry faithful in these forums aren't going to be changing platforms regardless of how many slander articles you can dig up.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-04-14 11:18 PM
    America is so liberal anymore though that nobody cares about privacy.

I fail to grok how you conclude that "liberal" equates to "hates privacy".

Re: BlackBerry in particular, I think in general people are probably in better shape to be using this platform than most of the alternatives.

That said, nothing is impervious. The link about "breaking BES encryption" is worded in a deceptive way, what they were doing there was apparently an exploit of some kind - ie a trojan horse that they infected a server or device with. Not breaking the encryption per-se.

Re: the argument about "I have nothing to hide so I don't care", to add to the previous comments:

First they came ... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
    01-05-14 05:08 AM
    Any kind of encryption can be decoded using the right of tools and resources. The difference most of the times is the ease of decoding and/or economical viability of such a decoding project.

The more complex the encryption, the more difficult it is to decode and therefore more resources required to decode it and also making it more expensive to decode.

IMHO NSA can decode BlackBerry encryption, but the question is, do they see it making economical sense to devote resources to doing it?
    01-05-14 07:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    My grandfather fought against Hitler that's why!!!!!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-05-14 07:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Normally I would say something about it now, but today I'll just grab some popcorn!

Z on Channels
    01-05-14 08:02 AM
    Another NSA thread? Well OK then.

The NSA is into a ton of things and with the new information available, you should pretty much assume they're into everything you suspect they are. Do you really expect them to come out and give you a list of what they've cracked and what they haven't? lol. If you hate that thought, then fight it with the Government and tell them you hate it..... repeatedly. Long story short, NO ONE can definitively say they're safe from or secure against because they simply DO NOT know.
    kbz1960 and Mecca EL like this.
    01-05-14 08:09 AM
    I fail to grok how you conclude that "liberal" equates to "hates privacy".
    If that's true then you will never "grok" the concept. I equate that with liberal because liberals are the only people I know who willingly give up various personal freedoms and rights in exchange for the idea of something else, and even willingly vote for it. Liberal America is one where it's supposed to be OK for a government to dictate what it's ok for me to say or not say in public, what is and isn't ok to show on TV, what my kid can or can't read in school curriculum, etc etc.

So, to now directly clarify your question, it's not about "hates privacy", but the "I don't have anything to hide so why should I care" attitude, which I equate to not caring about privacy, as if the current government doesn't already have their hands deep enough into it anyway. You can resume rolling on the floor now my friend. I'm only glad my perception makes your day.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-05-14 08:29 AM
    While this conversation involves a lot of politics given it is the government in control of things, let's NOT go down the road of arguing about politics k? Head to http://www.debatepolitics.com/ or something lol. Thanks.
    kbz1960 and Richard Buckley like this.
    01-05-14 08:32 AM
39 12