I have watched all of the videos that have come out of BB Jam.

One thing that I was not happy to see was talk of "widgets" or "tiles" on BB10. I don't like widgets or tiles or whtever you want to call them.

Looking at the TAT video, it is clear that the screen on BB10 that looks like widgets or tiles is actually a screen that shows all of the active programs. They are not widgets or tiles.

You can see that when a program is running full screen, that a swipe up from the bottom of the screen works kind of like it does on Playbook. On PlayBook, the running program is minimized and you can swipe through all of the running programs by right or left swipes. But, On BB10, the bottom up swipe minimizes the program and places it in a tile on the screen. That tile can be manipulated or glanced at without fully opening it again.

Now, when a program is minimized, it still displays information. So, a weather app shows the weather and a music app shows what song is playing. So, it is kind of widgety or tile-like, but it is really just an active program that is running, not a crippled widget or tile.

To me, this is really cool.

What we have not seen is what the BB10 launcher look like. It seems that RIM is hiding this for some reason.
    joelled, kbz1960 and meltbox360 like this.
    05-03-12 03:50 PM
    I have watched all of the videos that have come out of BB Jam.

One thing that I was not happy to see was talk of "widgets" or "tiles" on BB10. I don't like widgets or tiles or whtever you want to call them.

Looking at the TAT video, it is clear that the screen on BB10 that looks like widgets or tiles is actually a screen that shows all of the active programs. They are not widgets or tiles.

You can see that when a program is running full screen, that a swipe up from the bottom of the screen works kind of like it does on Playbook. On PlayBook, the running program is minimized and you can swipe through all of the running programs by right or left swipes. But, On BB10, the bottom up swipe minimizes the program and places it in a tile on the screen. That tile can be manipulated or glanced at without fully opening it again.

Now, when a program is minimized, it still displays information. So, a weather app shows the weather and a music app shows what song is playing. So, it is kind of widgety or tile-like, but it is really just an active program that is running, not a crippled widget or tile.

To me, this is really cool.

What we have not seen is what the BB10 launcher look like. It seems that RIM is hiding this for some reason.
    <---Which is a good thing I believe so the others don't try to per-fect their upcoming device(s).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 04:14 PM
    You can see the a sample of BlackBerry's multitasking or "glance mode" around 1:50.

BlackBerry 10 Jam - Anders Larsson demos Cascades - YouTube!
    05-03-12 04:27 PM
    the widgets/tiles shown in the video there looks pretty cool. im not a fan of the way windows did it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 01:49 AM
    From the way I've seen it, it does something similar to the Playbook - the screen minimizes to a smaller version, but it is still the app screen. In BB10, you have each open app taking up a quarter of the screen instead of lined up across the top of the screen. It will definitely make it easy to keep an eye on things. I'm liking the layout.
    05-05-12 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD