I'm still getting use from my BB Torch 9800 every day, while many friends, family members and colleagues have moved on to iPhones or Android devices. I've tried a variety of the recently introduced phones and I'm amazed that those devices do not have any sort of precise pointing device akin to the renown BB Trackpad button!

I have not needed to pay too close attention to nor research the near bewildering assortment of recent phones, yet, I am interested in the possibility of a new BB10 device in the coming months.

As I've not logged into CB for over 2 years, I have not followed any of the recent threads, so please excuse if the following questions have already been asked and answered.

Has RIM removed the trackpad button from both of the new devices? If so, what is the new method for quick, precise and exact positioning of the cursor for a variety of selections, etc?
    10-02-12 03:34 PM
    From the looks of it, the trackpad is dead.

We'll need to depend on our fingers along with some nifty software to make those fine edits.
    10-02-12 03:50 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Hope there will be some sort of an auto-loupe or auto-zoom pinpoint method to get between individual letters of a word, etc. Trying to do that on my wife's Motorola Android Razor or on an iPhone is absurdly infuriating.
    10-02-12 03:55 PM
    I remember seeing it action, but can't remember when or where I saw it.

But it seemed simple and elegant.
    10-02-12 03:59 PM
    From what I've seen, it looks like the new BB10 software is made to have flow, so everything is easily accessible. So there will be no need for a trackpad to scroll and precisely select something. I'm not quite sure how they will replace the trackpad.. This has been my main concern about BB10. Not having a trackpad or 4 front physical buttons. The buttons I can see how they can create an on screen menu button and call and end button. And I don't think a back button will be necessary since everything is running in real time and always will be open and easily accessible. But the trackpad is unique and I don't think can be replaced..

Having a trackpad is a big reason I enjoy using a BlackBerry!! It is one of BB's trademarks and advantages. The trackpad gives the phone mobile ability since it's located in the middle of the phone and doesn't move so the user is able to have full control of what they are doing. Using all touchscreen is frustrating when trying to navigate around and selecting certain things. Such as typing and selecting a certain word or place in a sentence. Or viewing a website and having a cursor to select something small that can't be selected with a finger. And also just navigating in general. Sometimes using touchscreen, I find myself accidently selecting something when I'm scrolling with my finger on the touchscreen.. The trackpad just gives us so many advatages!

Having a trackpad is essential to mel!! No matter how great BB10 is, I don't think I can do without the trackpad.. Might just stick with my 9930..
    10-02-12 06:15 PM
    A lot of the way features seem to work on BB10 looks to simulate the trackpad on the screen. Swipe from right to left across the keyboard to delete a word, scroll up to see notifications, slide to the right to see the Hub, slide right to see the app menu. Everything seems to be accessible using your thumb, just using the screen instead of the trackpad.
    10-02-12 09:13 PM
    I agree with the statement that the trackpad (plus the physical buttons above the keyboard) made BB stand out and kept me loyal so far. I hate trying to select a specific letter in text on the iPhone, that is where the BB excelled. I need to see how this works in BB10.
    10-03-12 01:30 PM
    no matter how precise they make the selection of text, it can't be equivalent or better than a trackpad.
    And1Viper likes this.
    10-03-12 01:43 PM
    No trackpad and bb-hardkey - no BB 10. I don't want to depend on touchscreen only.
    10-04-12 03:54 PM
    I'm one of those fellows that swears by the trackpad, but it seems as though we're a dying breed. Ultimately, we'll have to adapt to the all-touch experience, or just live with our current BBs until the sun explodes.
    10-05-12 02:41 PM
    I'm one of those fellows that swears by the trackpad, but it seems as though we're a dying breed. Ultimately, we'll have to adapt to the all-touch experience, or just live with our current BBs until the sun explodes.
    I feel the same way.. The trackpad is a great advantage that BlackBerry has compared to other phones.. I don't know how I can do without it in BB10... Right now I'm satisfied with my 9930, but after awhile it might become obsolete.. so BB10 is a must! We may not agree with the decision to remove the front buttons and trackpad, but it could end up being something better than having a trackpad by having a great OS that is made efficient without the need for a trackpad... I know RIM has thought this through, so I'm believing in them. We will just have to wait and see.
    10-05-12 03:09 PM
    I expect that the full touch screen devices will sell very well. People more and more seem to want them. I'm afraid that the new qwerty phone will please neither camp. I hope I'm wrong but I'm going to miss my trackpad
    10-07-12 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD