I'm wanting to save my apps and settings to restore at a later date. I think I remember reading sometime back (during my 9850 days) where I could perform a "Device Switch" and save the created data file to a location I know and then cancel the "Device Switch". Then I have the data file so I could restore my phone quickly after a wipe and reload. Does anyone remember this? Or is this even necessary now with BB10?

Thanks,
    11-30-14 11:31 PM
    Now there is an App on BBW and Google Play and I think iOS as well that allows you to switch from most devices to BlackBerry 10.

Basically you download the device in your old device and you have a few ways to transfer necessary things like contacts.

You can do a media card transfer or you can do it over wifi.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 12:10 AM
    I'm wanting to save my apps and settings to restore at a later date. I think I remember reading sometime back (during my 9850 days) where I could perform a "Device Switch" and save the created data file to a location I know and then cancel the "Device Switch". Then I have the data file so I could restore my phone quickly after a wipe and reload. Does anyone remember this? Or is this even necessary now with BB10?

Thanks,
    OS 7 has an option to save device data to a memory card, it's a complete operation and no need to cancel.

With BlackBerry Link, choose the "switch device" option in the menu. You might be able to do a full backup before switching devices, because your BBID holds all your apps and is used to lock the backup file, but I'm not sure how it would restore unless it's intelligent enough to know of which apps will work without needing reinstalled. Obviously not applicable if it's the same model, just make sure the device has the same BBID before restoring.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 12:39 AM
    Thanks iBuilder, but I am wanting to know where the data file is temporarily stored when I use the "Switch Device" component of Link. The last time I looked into it (on OS 7 I think) the "Switch Device" created the data file on my hard drive in an obscure (to me) location. I was able to copy that file to a different location for later use. Once I completed the "Switch Device" function, the data file was automatically deleted from the obscure location.
    12-02-14 12:01 AM
    Try a hard drive file search for *.* files greater than 1gb (or whatever size u think it is) and sort it by date. Enable hidden files.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    12-02-14 01:03 AM
    Thanks iBuilder, but I am wanting to know where the data file is temporarily stored when I use the "Switch Device" component of Link. The last time I looked into it (on OS 7 I think) the "Switch Device" created the data file on my hard drive in an obscure (to me) location. I was able to copy that file to a different location for later use. Once I completed the "Switch Device" function, the data file was automatically deleted from the obscure location.
    I remember what you're referring to with the BBOS device switch on PC, it was how we had to preserve 3rd party apps when doing a backup/wipe/restore operation. Location was in appdata/temp folders, search by device PIN. This has never been necessary with Link, as it preserves all data now. When I get some free time I might try Link's device switch and see what happens. Seriously though, if you're just looking to preserve your device stasis, just do a full backup in Link.
    12-02-14 11:01 AM
    Got distracted with Christmas and end of year stuff. Thanks for the reply, iBuilder.
    12-30-14 05:29 AM