I can't believe that it's not a larger issue for the Blackberry community that "Check spelling automatically before sending email messages" is no longer an option on the new Blackberry 10 OS. That seemingly simple and obvious function is one of the ONLY reasons why I have stuck with Blackberry instead of switching to an iPhones or Droid like most of the world has done. Blackberries, up until OS 10 have always been, by FAR, the most efficient smartphones. Now with the lack of this feature and others as well, they have placed themselves out of their niche market and are now just competing with all other smartphones on the market. This is not a winning strategy.

I assume some developer can make an app that could do this but should an app really be necessary to perform such an obvious and powerful function??
    RobtheBold likes this.
    09-02-13 08:24 PM
    Yah it would be cool

Posted via Q10 CB10 BB10 on Tmobile Unlimited Data Plan via 2yr contract plan.
    RobtheBold likes this.
    09-02-13 08:29 PM
    I'd have to agree, that it would be an extremely useful tool

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    RobtheBold likes this.
    09-02-13 08:34 PM
    Spell checking happens as you type.

Posted via CB10
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-02-13 09:51 PM
    Spell checking happens as you type.
    We are all aware of that. However, that is not the same as the feature from the old OS's called "Check spelling automatically before sending email messages". There is a reason Microsoft Outlook and other respectable business email applications offer this functionality.
    Graheem and RobtheBold like this.
    09-02-13 10:23 PM
    We are all aware of that. However, that is not the same as the feature from the old OS's called "Check spelling automatically before sending email messages". There is a reason Microsoft Outlook and other respectable business email applications offer this functionality.
    But the old OS also didn't underline in red the misspelled words. So, you see them before you send. BB 10 does - just as Outlook does too, by the way.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 11:03 PM
    But the old OS also didn't underline in red the misspelled words. So, you see them before you send. BB 10 does - just as Outlook does too, by the way.
    The ability to press send and then have the phone walk you through each mispelled word is more effective and a better fail-safe than relying on having to look at undearlined words. I just am shocked that i seem to be in the minority of users who miss this "feature".
    09-03-13 06:24 AM
    The ability to press send and then have the phone walk you through each mispelled word is more effective and a better fail-safe than relying on having to look at undearlined words. I just am shocked that i seem to be in the minority of users who miss this "feature".
    +1
    I used to use this, the funny thing is that I forgot that this existed. They must return it back.

Posted via CB10
    Graheem and RobtheBold like this.
    09-03-13 06:30 AM
    I can't say I really miss it, but I agree that it is more efficient than scanning an email for red squiggles.

I come from old-school number pad texting and got used to scanning everything I type for errors - twice. Touchtyping also helps a great deal for Q10 users.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-03-13 06:31 AM
    Autocorrect catches the majority of typos and misspell as you go anyway, which is more efficient than manually having to go through them after hitting send.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-03-13 07:12 AM
    Autocorrect catches the majority of typos and misspell as you go anyway, which is more efficient than manually having to go through them after hitting send.
    This is not a fail-safe like the "Check spelling automatically before sending email message" is/was.
    RobtheBold likes this.
    09-03-13 07:47 AM
    This is not a fail-safe like the "Check spelling automatically before sending email message" is/was.
    Calling a system that won't catch then/than, there / their / they're fail-safe is straining the definition of fail-safe.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 08:06 AM
    Calling a system that won't catch then/than, there / their / they're fail-safe is straining the definition of fail-safe.
    who said anything about grammar?
    09-03-13 08:10 AM
    Agree with the OP. Also correcting a misspelled word (underlined in red) isn't that easy, IME.

Posted via CB10
    jessefree likes this.
    09-03-13 09:19 AM
    That's why there is a predominance of misspelled words in a majority of the posts here. As good as the keyboard is on BB10, you still ought to proofread before you click the post button. Most people can't be bothered and don't seem to care. Everyone is in too much of a hurry. Yes, keep moving, but don't look like an illiterate dumbass in the process. The old spell check was definitely better.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 02:18 PM
    who said anything about grammar?
    Interesting. Then I conclude you would consider no / known confusion as in "I no when I'm finished typing there are know errors" to be grammatical errors too.

By the way, it was very difficult to type that sentence. The Z10 wanted nothing to do with it.

And why would one worry about spelling but not worry about grammar?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 04:46 PM
    Interesting. Then I conclude you would consider no / known confusion as in "I no when I'm finished typing there are know errors" to be grammatical errors too.

By the way, it was very difficult to type that sentence. The Z10 wanted nothing to do with it.

And why would one worry about spelling but not worry about grammar?
    Posted via CB10
    I do worry about grammar. However, that has no relevance to what this discussion is about.
    moyah8 likes this.
    09-03-13 05:06 PM
    Undearlined?...you joke right?

Trusted Member
    09-03-13 08:19 PM
    Undearlined?...you joke right?
    Clearly I made a typo. Thank you for pointing that out. However, that does not discredit the point of this thread.
    09-03-13 08:47 PM
    Well you can go to the Beta Zone and ask BlackBerry to add it to the feature list. If it gets enough votes it may make it into a future update.

Also there are APIs to access messages and to access the spell checker engine. If there was a market for an app someone should be able to write it.
    09-04-13 09:32 AM
    Well you can go to the Beta Zone and ask BlackBerry to add it to the feature list. If it gets enough votes it may make it into a future update.

Also there are APIs to access messages and to access the spell checker engine. If there was a market for an app someone should be able to write it.
    good to know. thanks
    09-04-13 03:46 PM
    Agree with the OP. Also correcting a misspelled word (underlined in red) isn't that easy, IME.

Posted via CB10
    Tap the word...pick the spelling you want. Can't be much simpler, can it? Seriously.

Trusted Member
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    09-07-13 03:42 AM
    If you take a second to read just the subject of the post, you will see that that is NOT what i'm talking about. I know i can just tap words.
    09-08-13 07:42 AM
    I can see your point, but I think the point people are making is that it isn't a "bigger issue for the BlackBerry community" because the device handles spell check on the fly much better than it did before. Between word suggestion, autocorrect, and text prediction, most people have the correct spelling without needing an additional spell check before sending.
    09-08-13 09:46 AM
    Oh my goodness! You mean I could have turned that stupid fracking feature OFF on my work email? Single most annoying thing on our old email client!

Thanks. At least now I know what it's called if I ever run into it again.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 12:12 PM
30 12