I've downloaded the Next Glass app from Snap. This is an app that uses augmented reality to detect what wine bottle or beer bottle you're holding up to your phone's camera and give you a rating of how you would or should like it. This is based on some sample ratings you gave when installing the app. It also gives basic nutrition or caloric info. No pictures are actually taken; it's scanned and the results sent in real time.

It is USA-centric though, so my British Colombia wines didn't show when scanned. But I suspect that will change as more people request more wines to be added.

It works reasonably well on my Z30. I just tried it when shopping for a dozen bottles of wine and it scanned and gave me a personalised rating for about half of them.

It has a share feature to share what young scanned with friends who also have the app. However thus doesn't seem to work on BB10 very well, as it relies on the Android Facebook, Instagram and Twitter apps. However you can share with friends with the app via text messaging.

This could be a very useful tool for those of us who like our wine and beer, and like to try many different varieties.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 06:21 PM
    does it work in Europe?
    11-23-14 09:28 PM
    I don't know about Europe for sure but I don't see why it shouldn't work as it recognised European wines. It seems like this is version 1.0 and in the early days for the app and for the company.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 09:16 AM