My guess is that the Android runtime won't be in the OS itself anymore. It will be addable in a download that you install later.

This is how Tizen runs Android apps. Tizen users download OpenMobile's Application Compatibility Layer from the Tizen App store.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-17-15 12:15 PM
    they have to utilize the edge screen within the OS. make it unique and productive !! Make it surpass the S6 edges.
    06-17-15 12:16 PM
    Like how BlackBerry removed Flash going from 10.3 to 10.3.1?

Posted via CB10
    And Adobe Air too

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    06-17-15 12:17 PM
    Although currently there are android runtime on BB10, but still very poor! I'm never trying Android apps in my phone.
    06-17-15 12:26 PM
    that wasnt as bad as removing the android runtime would be
    06-17-15 12:26 PM
    Although currently there are android runtime on BB10, but still very poor! I'm never trying Android apps in my phone.
    If you're never going to try them you can't say it's very poor can you...
    As a matter of fact, it's not half bad
    06-17-15 12:37 PM
    If you're never going to try them you can't say it's very poor can you...
    As a matter of fact, it's not half bad
    Ops Amazon just trying android port, still lag, can't run smooth such as BBW.
    06-17-15 12:51 PM
    My guess is that the Android runtime won't be in the OS itself anymore. It will be addable in a download that you install later.

This is how Tizen runs Android apps. Tizen users download OpenMobile's Application Compatibility Layer from the Tizen App store.

Posted via CB10
    Have you actually used a Tizen phone? If so, what are your thoughts on the OS? Not thinking of getting one, just curious.
    06-17-15 01:04 PM
    I think 10.3.3 is going to be for the Slider, which means it will be BB10, not full Android. It probably won't (yet) be using the hypervisor, since it just seems like a bigger version jump would be done for such a major change. I don't think they'd remove the Android runtime yet either. Mostly because I don't think they'd have any way to fill that void yet (unless it does utilize the hypervisor). I think the full Android push is really going to be a deal with Samsung to have the BlackBerry Experience Suite pre-installed on a Samsung device (like the Note 5).
    undone likes this.
    06-17-15 01:18 PM
    I had thought for a while that there would be a 10.3.3.

Mind you, this is all opinion and guess work, I don't have any hard facts to back this opinion.

The 10.3 update was the largest we got so far. (maybe 10.2.1) at least in terms of looks, and features.

To jump straight into a 10.4 which would probably mean another UI change would be a bit of wasted work, afterall, we haven't had 10.3 THAT long.

Excluding leaks, a LOT of people just got 10.3.1, and a lot are still on 10.2.

So another huge UI jump right now I believe would be a bit premature. It makes more sense to squeeze a little more life out of the current UI. Add in more features and such, and THEN work on a potential 10.4.

Now, what will 10.3.3 have? No clue. It could just be support for the slider, it could be different features. They could add stuff, remove it. Hell, they might finally gives us the dark hub. (which at this point I hope never happens just to **** everyone off).

But I had seen this coming at least. Hopefully we will actually get a 10.4, and not a Crappy Android OS

Work Wide and Prosper
    Chad_Fortuin likes this.
    06-17-15 01:22 PM
    This means that BB10 is now officially at a dead end. 10.3.3 will be an update just to support the slider hardware. There will be no update to Qt5, no new features in Cascades. BB10 will continue in it's current form, but it will not be updated other than to fix bugs or support new hardware.
    But they said two weeks ago
    We remain committed to BlackBerry 10, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched. And while we can’t share details right now, there is more coming to the BlackBerry 10 platform after the June release of 10.3.2 and we will keep you updated.

In addition to BlackBerry 10, we continue to encourage innovation and investment in solutions across all major mobile OS platforms supported by the BES12 platform.

Cheers,

Lou
    Qt5 Binary overlay : qtlab.blackberry.com didnt an... - Page 5 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

But please, leave support forums alone, ok?
    diegonei likes this.
    06-17-15 01:26 PM
    But they said two weeks ago

Qt5 Binary overlay : qtlab.blackberry.com didnt an... - Page 5 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

But please, leave support forums alone, ok?
    Committed to BB10 means that they won't pull what they have and apply patches. If they were committed to BlackBerry 10 on a go forward basis with new features and new innovations, they wouldn't encourage developers to target all platforms. Do you see anytime that Apple will encourage developers to write for Android and Windows? Or Google telling developers to write for iOS? Nope. They are doing this as they are going to use another platform in the future. The fact that they killed Qt5 support for BB10, but have moved QNX to Qt5 without Cascades, means that BB10 has no future, but is in maintenance mode.

As for support forums, developers who want to write native apps for BB10 need to know that BlackBerry has no plans to move forward on native apps. Why shouldn't they know this?

Until BlackBerry states publicly that Qt5 support is coming to BB10 and they are new features in the native development language and tools (like charts and graphs for enterprise), the writing is the on the wall and people/businesses need to know this. BlackBerry could solve the doubt with one press release by saying that they will continue to develop the BB10 native language and tools with new features. They have been silent and elusive with anything but vague statements. What they have said a lot in the developers blog is Android, Android and more Android. What does that say.
    Allanon89, Akuji_ism and RezzaBuh like this.
    06-17-15 01:43 PM
    BlackBerry OS 10.3.3 will be available after the BlackBerry Slider, maybe a beta os will out end of the year or beginning of 2016.

Later

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 01:57 PM
    Have you actually used a Tizen phone? If so, what are your thoughts on the OS? Not thinking of getting one, just curious.
    I've just seen youtube videos.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) and leedium like this.
    06-17-15 02:01 PM
    JMO. I don't think it's going to happen. But, if Runtime is being considered for removal, that could mean Chen isn't concerned about losing some BlackBerry Customers that he (and others) may assume will be replaced..........by Android device owners.
    06-17-15 02:22 PM
    About the BB10 guys, it seems everyone has been fired from BlackBerry and hired by QNX, or at least, looks like that, if we dive on Twitter. Lurking a bit gave this:

BlackBerry Experience | BlackBerry Experience Days

In fact, I also found why BlackBerry ditched the Qt 5 switch.

CopperSpice
    06-17-15 02:31 PM
    10.3.3 is BB10 with the Android runtime removed.

This is necessary for OHA certification of furture BlackBerry Android devices.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 02:37 PM
    If BlackBerry decided to sell android os, BlackBerry must remove the runtime

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    This will be the worst decision, I bought blackberry because I can run android apps.

 Passport�
    06-17-15 02:53 PM
    What if BlackBerry are allowed to install a full Google as a VM under QNX HyperVisor running along BB10? I don't know if that would be possible and still be compliant with the OHA rules.

This way we would have 100% compatibility with all Google Apps as well as the secure/manageble/productivity BB10 OS in a single device.
    06-17-15 03:08 PM
    Not much since it is a small release.
    so there's no 11.0? 10.4?
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    06-17-15 03:15 PM
    On a somewhat lazy Wednesday afternoon, I must admit loving all the speculation. Only thing I know is that everyone cannot be right
    anon(9353145) and ealvnv like this.
    06-17-15 03:23 PM
    About the BB10 guys, it seems everyone has been fired from BlackBerry and hired by QNX, or at least, looks like that, if we dive on Twitter. Lurking a bit gave this:

BlackBerry Experience | BlackBerry Experience Days

In fact, I also found why BlackBerry ditched the Qt 5 switch.

CopperSpice
    What does CopperSpice link prove? BlackBerry moved QNX to Qt5.
    06-17-15 03:29 PM
    so there's no 11.0? 10.4?
    If 10.3.3 is going to be released in some months time, when do you think 10.4 is released? I really have doubts that 10.4 ever sees the light of day. 11.0 will most likely be Android based.
    06-17-15 03:33 PM
    Sir we don't even have the 10.3.2 yet and you'r asking for the 10.3.3 ?? don't worry take it easy and relax a bit.
    06-17-15 03:37 PM
    Sir we don't even have the 10.3.2 yet and you'r asking for the 10.3.3 ?? don't worry take it easy and relax a bit.
    We do have 10.3.2 :P
    The release already started
    06-17-15 03:43 PM
147 1234 ...