As I mentioned, the latest side load app WORKS- the browsing COULD be a little smoother and "snappier", but the video I've watched so far (several hours) has been flawless. I understand the "native app" thing argument, but until if and when that happens, you DO have an alternative. And I would assume the Android app does NOT add Silverlight (?), so I don't believe that is the issue.
    04-06-13 12:19 PM
    1. You don't have a pc? You can run that to your tv with a 5$ vga cable.
    2. You bought bbry products knowing it doesn't have Netflix.
    3. The ios app was made at a time when Netflix was doing better. It is struggling now. This is a business decision. They KNOW how many new subs the ios app generated and obviously feel at this point it's not worth it.
    4. I didn't say no one would watch on a small screen. I said few.
    5. You can not compare the bb10 user base to ios and androids.
    6. Just because I don't know what's apps business model and how they monetize their product doesn't meant they don't. They're not doing it for free that's for sure.
    1.My pc is not portable, and is nowhere near my tv.
    2. And? I'm not saying I'm going to switch from bb, I'm saying it is a poor decision on the part of NF.
    3. NF is struggling, so making an app to appeal to more ppl is a GOOD idea
    4. So few means more money for a struggling company... right?
    5. I'm not comparing the user bases, I'm comparing the arguments made. The app is profitable after X amount of downloads or a lower number over more months. This is the same for ALL OSs so if it works for one it should work for all.
    6. But we do know the money the make, and the money other companies spend To develope. Based on other companies bringing new native apps for free or a one time fee of $20, or less it would seem that there is money to be made. At $9 a month a NF subscription gained from a BlackBerry App would bring in over $100 a year. Even if only 100 people download the app that is $10 000 in a year. Will it take more than that to develope the native app?

You need to spend money to make money. Maybe Netflix is struggling because they are making bad choices... like not deving for BB

EDIT: also to note, many people canceled subs bc of this, so this is not theoretical. If NF devs for BlackBerry there are at the absolute least 20 people on these forums that will get back on board, I would say the number is even 50. If we are looking at getting 100 users that means we need only 50 more out of over 75 million.

But it's not a viable option...

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 08:14 PM
    I'm telling you that if there was PROFIT to be made they would rush to bbry.
    They have obviously done cost benefit analysis.
    You need to understand that in business you go where the money is. It's a very simple concept.
    If there is no app. There is a reason.
    You keep assuming that there is a substantial base of people who will only get Netflix if they support bbry. This is unsubstantiated.
    Plus the $9 a month isn't pure profit. There are costs of doing business.
    04-06-13 08:47 PM
    You need to understand that in business you go where the money is. It's a very simple concept.
    You keep assuming that there is a substantial base of people who will only get Netflix if they support bbry. This is unsubstantiated.
    Exactly.
    04-06-13 08:53 PM
    1.My pc is not portable, and is nowhere near my tv.
    2. And? I'm not saying I'm going to switch from bb, I'm saying it is a poor decision on the part of NF.
    3. NF is struggling, so making an app to appeal to more ppl is a GOOD idea
    4. So few means more money for a struggling company... right?
    5. I'm not comparing the user bases, I'm comparing the arguments made. The app is profitable after X amount of downloads or a lower number over more months. This is the same for ALL OSs so if it works for one it should work for all.
    6. But we do know the money the make, and the money other companies spend To develope. Based on other companies bringing new native apps for free or a one time fee of $20, or less it would seem that there is money to be made. At $9 a month a NF subscription gained from a BlackBerry App would bring in over $100 a year. Even if only 100 people download the app that is $10 000 in a year. Will it take more than that to develope the native app?

You need to spend money to make money. Maybe Netflix is struggling because they are making bad choices... like not deving for BB

EDIT: also to note, many people canceled subs bc of this, so this is not theoretical. If NF devs for BlackBerry there are at the absolute least 20 people on these forums that will get back on board, I would say the number is even 50. If we are looking at getting 100 users that means we need only 50 more out of over 75 million.

But it's not a viable option...

Posted via CB10
    We're repeating ourselves.
    Agree to disagree.
    We at least agree on one thing. We both want a native Netflix app.
    04-06-13 08:55 PM
    I think that once the initial app is made then the 'cost' of the business is the same for every app. I'm not sure about the specifics so I could be wrong.

We're repeating ourselves.
    Agree to disagree.
    We at least agree on one thing. We both want a native Netflix app.
    I honestly don't care myself, I just think it's crazy that they wouldn't. They deved for psp and other hand held before launch and BlackBerry has a solid user base.

They can do whatever they want obviously, I just don't understand people saying it isn't worth it. There is no possible way that they can do n analysis and get red numbers based on over 1 million Z10 in three weeks and an already established base of millions of play books. There will be 5 million 'new' generation devices primed and ready for Netflix before summer EASY.

Once they realize their mistake and make the app people are going to subscribe. But I say that we cancel our subs and then wait the same amount of months to re sub as the amount it took them to develop.

If you need money you make bold moves, just like BlackBerry. You win or you lose. If you stay on a sinking ship you will sink 100% of the time.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:06 PM
    I think someone astutely surmised that the PSP deal most likely had to do with agreements with Ain't that benefits both parties.

As for BB10, I still believe that when the cost of development and maintenance is surpassed by profitability, it will be here. I believe Netflix is doing what a couple others have done, and are holding out for a ransom. Unfortunately, BBRY needs Netflix a bit more than the reverse, and BBRY knows it.

The problem is is that scuttlebutt has it that BBRY has paid in the past. Can't blame the developers for trying to make money.
    04-06-13 11:19 PM
    I think someone astutely surmised that the PSP deal most likely had to do with agreements with Ain't that benefits both parties.

As for BB10, I still believe that when the cost of development and maintenance is surpassed by profitability, it will be here. I believe Netflix is doing what a couple others have done, and are holding out for a ransom. Unfortunately, BBRY needs Netflix a bit more than the reverse, and BBRY knows it.

The problem is is that scuttlebutt has it that BBRY has paid in the past. Can't blame the developers for trying to make money.
    I was actually thinking that the only reason for NF not to develop the app is because they are waiting for BlackBerry to offer to finance it. Which, unless I'm wrong, they could have done if they submitted the app early and been a part of the offer to guarantee $10 000. They missed their chance and are now waiting. I hope BlackBerry doesn't pay them and they lose months of revenue and then realize the mistake.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:38 PM
    They wouldn't have gotten anything from the $10000 guarantee. The app itself is free, and the guarantee was about app sales. As far as the terms of the deal were, Netflix would have made $0 from sales of the app (though perhaps a lot from new subscriptions, we can only guess) and in order to qualify for the $10000 they would need to make a minimum of $1000. The only public ally available way Netflix would have gotten any money from BlackBerry would be from a portathon, and that doesn't seem like Netflix's style. On the other hand, it is quite possible that BlackBerry offered money to Netflix in particular to build an app, but once again, we may never know.
    FSeverino likes this.
    04-07-13 07:02 PM
    Who watches on a small screen with a z10? Hdmi out people!!

If HTML5 video is possible on Samsung products, so should it be on the ZED.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 07:32 PM
    They wouldn't have gotten anything from the $10000 guarantee. The app itself is free, and the guarantee was about app sales. As far as the terms of the deal were, Netflix would have made $0 from sales of the app (though perhaps a lot from new subscriptions, we can only guess) and in order to qualify for the $10000 they would need to make a minimum of $1000. The only public ally available way Netflix would have gotten any money from BlackBerry would be from a portathon, and that doesn't seem like Netflix's style. On the other hand, it is quite possible that BlackBerry offered money to Netflix in particular to build an app, but once again, we may never know.
    Yes I thought it was that but wasn't sure

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:32 PM
36 12