Ok, So they've announce they are in talks with Netflix and Instagram, and Skype is 'confirmed'.

But will they be here?

How sure are they that we are going to get these apps? Some of you may not use these apps but there are people who do, including me. I can't commit to buy the z10 until I see Netflix, Instagram and Skype CONFIRMED and shown on the OS.

Does anyone know if for sure those 3 apps will be on their way? I'd like to hear opinions.
    Patience Young Grasshopper... LOL...
    Markymarkp likes this.
    02-08-13 02:39 PM
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN!

They said Skype is confirmed, but now Skype has confirmed it will only be an android port. What. A. Copout.

I know some of you will be like, It's STILL going to be available, It's microsoft's fault, It's just an android port, stop making such a big deal.

Why wouldn't I make such a big deal when stuff like this happens? Sure it will be available, but not as a native app? C'mon lets be serious here, They are never ever going to be able to compete with Apple, or Android if they keep backlashing on native apps like this. Skype not being a native app alone is a prime EXAMPLE of why Blackberry will always be behind (I will get alot of crap for this, but you know its the truth, and its just an EXAMPLE out of many). I suppose it's also Microsoft's fault Skype is available for Apple and Android. "It's an Android port", Yeah, one that needs to be run through a different OS/loader, knowing that Skype (A HUGE app) will not be running from the supposed great QNX/BB10 is a bummer.

What's next? Instagram will only be available through the website? Lmao

I still have faith..
    You're wrong.

The reason why RIM spent time and money developing an android app player was explicitly so that developers would be able to port their apps over to BB10 extremely easily. Since devs can port apps essentially for zero cash, they may as well put them up for BB10, they have nothing to lose. It radically improves the chances that BB10 will succeed. All the kids want apps, well BB10 has got apps. Given that Skype for BB has been a major point of contention with all of us users, and that we want it ASAP, I don't see anything wrong with the Skype guys making use of the easiest way to move the app across.

On BB10, the different app frameworks are all as valid as each other and can provide excellent app experiences. Other than having to invoke the app player bar (because android phones live in the past where you need buttons) there isn't a way to really tell which development path was taken with any given app.

If an app works well, who cares that its running in app player? I'll take an app player version of skype over no version of skype. If its popular, then sure they might make a native SDK version in a few months time. And that will be cool too, for tighter integration. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth. After years of wanting skype, it finally in on the verge of arrival, and as an official app made by Skype that'll give us voice and video and all the good things that were just not possible before. And now you're ******** that they didn't hundreds of man hours and thousands of dollars completely rebuilding their app for a platform none of them have ever worked on before, when the version they already have will just take some tweaking and be fine? Those bastards! How dare they not build exclusively for us!
    bluetroll likes this.
    02-08-13 03:22 PM
    microsoft has nothing to do with instagram, they own skype.
    They own significant amount of facebook shares and facebook owns instagram.
    02-08-13 03:35 PM
    Y
    If an app works well, who cares that its running in app player? I'll take an app player version of skype over no version of skype. If its popular, then sure they might make a native SDK version in a few months time. And that will be cool too, for tighter integration. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth. After years of wanting skype, it finally in on the verge of arrival, and as an official app made by Skype that'll give us voice and video and all the good things that were just not possible before. And now you're ******** that they didn't hundreds of man hours and thousands of dollars completely rebuilding their app for a platform none of them have ever worked on before, when the version they already have will just take some tweaking and be fine? Those bastards! How dare they not build exclusively for us!
    Um....no. First, the problem is that many of the ported apps don't work "well". (that is of course, subjective anyways, but I think all would concede that in general, they do not work as "well" or as efficiently as native apps). Moreover, when a company says an app is coming to a platform, most generally take it to mean it is coming as a native app, and thus, it's understandable that they are annoyed. Particularly when they do have the option of using a different phone. You're rationalizations would only work if somebody was: 1.stuck on the platform no matter what (thus, be grateful for anything you get!) and 2.was not paying money for that platform (same reasoning), and 3.had no reason to expect a native app.

RIM says: If you buy our phone, you get to drive a Lexus LFA! Then you buy the phone, and it turns out the Lexus is actually a Chevy Cobalt with an LFA sheet metal exterior. Then a guy named egerhardt shows up and starts proclaiming that this is a gift-horse, and how dare you complain!
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-13 03:38 PM
    They own significant amount of facebook shares and facebook owns instagram.
    Not really...they initially bought about $250 million worth of the company before FB went public...when FB went public MS sold about $250 million worth of their stock which was valued at over a billion at the time of FB going public...

MS doesn't seem to have that much influence seeing as WP8 still has no instagram, FB hasn't make a windows 8 app and FB is using their own VOIP tech instead of using Skype (although FB still uses bing for web searches)....
    02-08-13 06:36 PM
    BB really didn't do themselves a favor by putting that Android player in the OS. It will be a pain in their rear for quite a while and it will be hard to get rid of it and move developers to Native app development since so many will take the cop-out and it's simply easier to support a Player App than a separate Native BB10 application.
    Let's be real. It's pretty clear by now that Skype would NOT be coming anytime soon if there was no option to port it.
    bluetroll likes this.
    02-08-13 06:46 PM
    BB really didn't do themselves a favor by putting that Android player in the OS. It will be a pain in their rear for quite a while and it will be hard to get rid of it and move developers to Native app development since so many will take the cop-out and it's simply easier to support a Player App than a separate Native BB10 application.
    It has only been an issue on the Playbook which was running a drastically different OS version and with far less ram. They definitely did buy themselves some options with the android runtime...
    02-08-13 06:50 PM
    You're wrong.

The reason why RIM spent time and money developing an android app player was explicitly so that developers would be able to port their apps over to BB10 extremely easily. Since devs can port apps essentially for zero cash, they may as well put them up for BB10, they have nothing to lose. It radically improves the chances that BB10 will succeed. All the kids want apps, well BB10 has got apps. Given that Skype for BB has been a major point of contention with all of us users, and that we want it ASAP, I don't see anything wrong with the Skype guys making use of the easiest way to move the app across.

On BB10, the different app frameworks are all as valid as each other and can provide excellent app experiences. Other than having to invoke the app player bar (because android phones live in the past where you need buttons) there isn't a way to really tell which development path was taken with any given app.

You have great points, but a native app will always be better then a port in every way. The fact that we have Skype on a port means we (the blackberry community) will always be 1 step below Apple and Android. Like others have mentioned earlier, if all the apps are on android player, why don't I just get an android phone then? They will all work perfectly being native apps and all, and integrated perfectly within the android OS, not with a different one.

Speaking of integrated native apps, another good point is that without Skype being a native app on BB10, there's a good chance there it won't be integrated into the Hub, notifications, and User interface/user friendly to the BB10 experience.
    02-09-13 12:54 AM
    I'm leaning towards it's never gonna happen and if it does it will be riddled with problems. Always the optimist :P
    02-09-13 12:58 AM
    You have great points, but a native app will always be better then a port in every way. The fact that we have Skype on a port means we (the blackberry community) will always be 1 step below Apple and Android. Like others have mentioned earlier, if all the apps are on android player, why don't I just get an android phone then? They will all work perfectly being native apps and all, and integrated perfectly within the android OS, not with a different one.

Speaking of integrated native apps, another good point is that without Skype being a native app on BB10, there's a good chance there it won't be integrated into the Hub, notifications, and User interface/user friendly to the BB10 experience.
    Please read the news article on CrackBerry. Skype has stated that they are specifically working on integrated the ported app to tie in with BlackBerry Hub and the native Contacts app. They will release on BlackBerry once this is ready.

What no one might want to hear about this is that this might not be until BlackBerry OS 10.1, which will launch with BlackBerry Q10, therefore sometime in Q2 2013 (hopefully).
    02-09-13 01:05 AM
    In that past Skype stated they were actively working on a fix for the PulseAudio issues Linux users were encountering. Nothing came of that either. LOL
    02-09-13 01:17 AM
    What a let down, I thought someone said Skype was using the Android runtime because it was easier or something, I was really hoping that it would be an Android port.
    It's going to be an android port, however Skype is working closely with bbry for better integration with hub.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 11:36 AM
    Don't need em but everyone wants em. It's a reality of how we live in this day and age. My parents are doing things that I don't even do. Idk if its to try and feel young, their friends (which is funny about old people), or they earnestly like it. I can't imagine it's the latter because my dad is like bill Cosby, when he tries to fix something it gets worse and sparks fly everywhere so then we gotta call a pro which we should have done to begin with,point being idk how he has so many electronics. But you gotta love them. My mom is 50 and she gets excited about Taylor Swift -_-
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-09-13 02:17 PM
    I have to wonder, with all the complaining that has gone on about these apps since the PlayBook. How many people will actually use them?

I work in retail and none of these apps are highly sought after or deal breakers with the exception of Instagram but only because of the filters which are built into BB10 anyway.

It seems to me that Skype has actually lost its reputation as being the go to app for IM in the UK at least. Everyone I know is on either Viber or Whatsapp.

In terms of Netflix, it simply doesn't have any compelling content, Sky Go is more important to people.

If we are going to complain about apps, let's start a thread about eBay. I've got withdrawal symptoms!

02-09-13 03:07 PM
    I don't get why people seem so bothered with any of these apps, the only time I use Netflix is on my Xbox as I can't stand watching things on a small screen. As for Instagram I do not wish to take pictures of my food not sure what everyone's fascination is with it.

02-09-13 04:14 PM
    I don't get why people seem so bothered with any of these apps, the only time I use Netflix is on my Xbox as I can't stand watching things on a small screen. As for Instagram I do not wish to take pictures of my food not sure what everyone's fascination is with it.

I've heard Instagram is UBER popular. I've only just learned of it myself.

Posted using Crackberry App on my B@d@ss Z10
    02-10-13 12:20 AM
    Android ports are not ideal, but they give devs a chance to test the waters so to speak. If BB10 is a resounding success then I believe more native apps will follow. Android ports are hopefully just a temporary measure to get BB and BB users by during the initial phases of BB10.
    02-10-13 12:40 AM
    Android ports are hopefully just a temporary measure to get BB and BB users by during the initial phases of BB10.
    Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

RIM: It's time for you to make a native version of xxx please.
    Acme: Why?, the Android port we built for you works fine.
    02-10-13 04:30 AM
    I have 3 netflix compliant apps. All 3 work great.

I have skype but don't use it outside of showcasing it.

I don't use instagram though I use a different picture sharing site (I lost interest when twitter did)

But, would its always nice to see official apps come.

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry S10 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    02-10-13 05:07 AM
    I actually got z10 thinking they would have what's app I guess I should have done my research before getting it but let's wait and see

02-10-13 06:26 AM
    I would not use any of the 3 apps you mention on my phone but respect someone else's desire to have them.

I think everyone is so sensitive about them because a lot of trolls have used their absence to knock BB10.

Bottom line is if they are a deal breaker for you then don't make a deal until they are here. We can't make them appear for you and we shouldn't knock your desire to have them. But someone creating a thread every few days that keeps saying there not here is getting old.

But if you are a troll trying to start a controversy please go away. We know they're not here yet and we have made the decision that they are not deal breakers for us. The only reason you would feel the need to knock the Z10 is you realize it is better than your phone and don't want folks to know it.
    ralfyguy and BKbehave like this.
    02-10-13 08:54 AM
    Of course, if the Skype app is still based on Android, that means it's actually impossible for it ever to be rewritten to be a native Cascades app, right?

Like, once developers adopt a given development environment, they're legally obliged to stick with it forever. That would mean there's no possibility that if BB10 succeeds, a Cascades-based Skype app would ever appear on the platform. It's an impossibility.

Or so I heard on the interwebz... or from the voices. Not sure which.
    02-10-13 09:47 AM
    I must be old but I don't get Instagram. Does anyone care to see my steak dinner in a sepia tone? I post pics of my kids and other annoying things on Facebook.

Netflix I could watch on my Wii if I actually liked the **** poor content that Netflix Canada provides. Between video store on PlayBook, z10, and iTunes, I'm good thanks.

As for Skype, don't really need it. Aol.com/av works fine on my PlayBook and the wife's laptop when I'm out of town.

My Z10 is a great communication device, social media, and Web browser. Apps are good. I side loaded Google Maps and Bloomberg. Other than that, native apps on BlackBerry World are good.

02-10-13 10:13 AM
    Out of those 3 apps, I only care for Skype. I use it to make calls all over the world and it would be stupid of Microsoft not to make it happen (I know it's coming). The only sad part is that they are porting the Android app instead of making a beautiful native app.
    02-10-13 10:13 AM
    My Z10 is a great communication device, social media, and Web browser. Apps are good. I side loaded Google Maps and Bloomberg. Other than that, native apps on BlackBerry World are good.
    I guess everyone's definition of "good' is different. Looking thru the Z10 apps, I found them appalling really (other than a few key games lol) and reminiscent of the PlayBook. But I guess it depends on what you want/need.
    rdef78 likes this.
    02-10-13 10:34 AM
66 123