So why the **** are the native FB and Twitter apps required as part of the OS install? I just removed them because I would rather use web than the crappy apps and I get an OS update that puts them back?!?

Facebook is not so bad but that Twitter app is absolutely pathetic.
    03-19-13 11:24 AM
    some of us need the notifications, and the HUB integration, functions which are "silent" part of the apps themselves.... If you don't use the apps - why don't you just move them into a folder and "hide" it away on the last appscreen ... shouldn't bother you that much?
    03-19-13 01:06 PM
    sounds like needless b1tch1ng, just do what the poster said.... log out of the apps and hide them in a folder.. I hid all of the att bloatware and settings app and the phone app and the camera in a folder and they dont bother me at all.....come on people.. there are solutions to problems, kinda like when an escalator stops moving... just walk up stairs... we wonder why people are quick to call troll, its because people complain about things that are fixable or things that are so minute that theres no reason to complain about them... as for solutions or help rather than senseless complaining
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    03-19-13 01:26 PM
    sounds like needless b1tch1ng, just do what the poster said.... log out of the apps and hide them in a folder.. I hid all of the att bloatware and settings app and the phone app and the camera in a folder and they dont bother me at all.....come on people.. there are solutions to problems, kinda like when an escalator stops moving... just walk up stairs... we wonder why people are quick to call troll, its because people complain about things that are fixable or things that are so minute that theres no reason to complain about them... as for solutions or help rather than senseless complaining
    Excuse me? This is not needless complaining. This is a legitimate concern for me, as a BDS admin. I don't think I should have to tell the CEO of my company, "Oh that? You'll just have to hide that and ignore it....that's just how it is."

If I have no need for an app, I should be able to remove it. I can *sort of* understand the carrier delivered apps (like the stuff Rogers pushes) but Twitter and Facebook? These are not "requirements". You are offering workarounds which is fine but we seem to be adding more and more "workarounds" for BB10 and eventually it becomes excessive.

Don't get me wrong...I love my Z10 but if I have to make concessions for battery usage, concessions for installed apps, etc, eventually a user starts to wonder...why bother? I don't want to see this happen but this is not a good defence for the 'ol BlackBerry name. It *will* start to push people away and this will ultimately not be a good thing.
    BigwhiteUK and Javid Gozalov like this.
    03-19-13 01:40 PM
    Wah wah wahhh.

There were apps you couldn't delete on older BlackBerry phones as well. Zoom Pass and Yellowpages were 2 on my device. Android phones can come with similar non deletable apps too. My really old Symbian phone had Java apps I couldnt delete either.

None of these waste memory or use the battery if you're not using them. Just hide them in a folder and forget about them.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 05:57 PM
    Wah wah wahhh.

There were apps you couldn't delete on older BlackBerry phones as well. Zoom Pass and Yellowpages were 2 on my device. Android phones can come with similar non deletable apps too. My really old Symbian phone had Java apps I couldnt delete either.

None of these waste memory or use the battery if you're not using them. Just hide them in a folder and forget about them.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your valuable input. Are you an enterprise user as well?

....didn't think so.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 10:45 PM
    some of us need the notifications, and the HUB integration, functions which are "silent" part of the apps themselves.... If you don't use the apps - why don't you just move them into a folder and "hide" it away on the last appscreen ... shouldn't bother you that much?
    The hub integration actually works perfectly fine without having the app(s) installed. This is why I question the requirement to have the apps installed on the first place.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 10:49 PM
    I believe I saw Michael Clewley (BlackBerry employee) tweet that the ability to remove these apps is coming in the next update (which I assume is 10.1). I can try looking for the tweet when I have some time.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 11:02 PM
    You make a great point...especially from an enterprise perspective. The last thing you want is employees with social media apps tempting them all day long, unless facebook and twitter are used as work communications tools. Let's hope Clewley is right.
    03-19-13 11:09 PM
    Thanks for your valuable input. Are you an enterprise user as well?

....didn't think so.

Posted via CB10
    Eh?

Your original complaint was that you'd prefer to use the browser to access FB and Twitter and not the apps. That's cool, many others probably do that too. So the suggestions in the thread to just hide the apps and not use them will work in your case. You just don't want to listen for whatever reason. I agree, they're annoying to have if you don't use them. I put FB, LinkedIn, Foursquare, DropBox, and Box all in a folder called Useless on my phone. It took like 30 seconds, and now they're out of the way.

Is your issue that as a BES administrator you can't block access to FB and Twitter?
    03-19-13 11:49 PM
    Eh?

Your original complaint was that you'd prefer to use the browser to access FB and Twitter and not the apps. That's cool, many others probably do that too. So the suggestions in the thread to just hide the apps and not use them will work in your case. You just don't want to listen for whatever reason. I agree, they're annoying to have if you don't use them. I put FB, LinkedIn, Foursquare, DropBox, and Box all in a folder called Useless on my phone. It took like 30 seconds, and now they're out of the way.

Is your issue that as a BES administrator you can't block access to FB and Twitter?
    My issue is that apps like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter are not vital to the operation of the device. From an enterprise perspective, there are certain apps we don't want to see or want to have to explain to the employee why they are there. This implementation of BES (BDS) is very green and lacks a lot of the functionality that BES5 had. I'm sure that will change as it matures but for the time being, we need to address certain things on the device itself.

I have no issue with foldering apps which is what I do with all the useless Rogers apps that I will never use but get reinstalled if I try to remove them. My problem is that Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn are not paying the bills and therefore should not be forcibly installed. These apps are all available via BBW so if I want them I should get them. They are not required to make the HUB functional either.
    03-20-13 08:41 AM
    I believe I saw Michael Clewley (BlackBerry employee) tweet that the ability to remove these apps is coming in the next update (which I assume is 10.1). I can try looking for the tweet when I have some time.

Posted via CB10
    ...I hope you're right. Thanks for the tip!
    03-20-13 08:42 AM
    You are not FORCED to do an OS update. Simply delete the unwanted apps and when the notification comes in for an OS update that will reinstall the deleted apps, check the notification and do nothing. Simple as that. When a legitimate OS update comes through (you'll know by the version number being different) then do the update to the new OS. Once its complete, delete the unwanted apps again and repeat the above steps. Really not a workaround or anything else unnecessary. Not really sure what being an enterprise user has to do with any of it lol

Stop letting your device control you and start controlling your device.
    03-20-13 08:57 AM
    The reason "Enterprise" is relevant here is because, as an administrator, we have to deal with all the end users questions and complaints. The more of the crap that can be nipped in the bud before delivery, the happier us admins are.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 10:17 AM
    ...I hope you're right. Thanks for the tip!
    Native Facebook and Twitter Required? Why?-img_00000233.png

There it is. This issue has been annoying me as well, but 10.1 should be here pretty soon.

Posted via CB10
    Javid Gozalov likes this.
    03-20-13 04:15 PM