With so many top names like foresquare,we chat withdrawing there support from BB10 its safe to assume that Android runtime is all that is left also felling really sad as windows phone is gaining dev support but Blackberry on the other hand dissaperring
    07-25-14 12:44 AM
    There is still a opportunity of increasing BB10 market share. Aslong as it continue to grow and reaches a significant user base we will see a return for app support.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 12:59 AM
    With so many top names like foresquare,we chat withdrawing there support from BB10 its safe to assume that Android runtime is all that is left also felling really sad as windows phone is gaining dev support but Blackberry on the other hand dissaperring
    Try looking on the bright side of life. There's already enough depressing threads with similar doom and gloom topics. Yes the Android runtime is an integral part of BB10 experience. But all that is left? Give me a break!

I have 16 Android apps and 84 Native apps on my X10. If you're having a problem finding native content. Look harder.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-25-14 01:12 AM
    Try looking on the bright side of life. There's already enough depressing threads with similar doom and gloom topics. Yes the Android runtime is an integral part of BB10 experience. But all that is left? Give me a break!

I have 16 Android apps and 84 Native apps on my X10. If you're having a problem finding native content. Look harder.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I can find native apps but most of these app are discontinued, outdated and not supported anymore . Now the only news you hear is Devs leaving BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 03:42 AM
    My most used 3rd party native apps, iGrann, Snap2chat, and FastTube, are all getting updates. Some others, such as Wikipedia for BlackBerry, Evernote, Reddit in Motion, Instavenue (all also favorites) are great the way they are and don't really need updates. Most of the basic core stuff is there in BBW, for what I need at least. It has gone a little quiet, but that doesn't mean its going down.
    07-25-14 11:58 PM
    I agree. Native app development has definitely stalled.

But I also have a hope of it coming back once 10.3 is available.

Developers please give us great apps. Amazon store is just a work around but natives are the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 02:17 AM
    The Android support have definately ruined the platform for me (personally). If it contines in the same direction as it has done so far, I see no reason to support BB10 in the future, as �t really won't bring more than a keyboard, a hub and some swipe gestures to a more limited Android environment.

Native is the way to go, otherwise I could just as well jump on to a Jolla phone (or an iPhone to get good and native applications).
    rai187 likes this.
    07-26-14 05:36 AM
    The Android support have definately ruined the platform for me (personally).

Native is the way to go, otherwise I could just as well jump on to a Jolla phone (or an iPhone to get good and native applications).
    I have to agree with this statement. I see what BlackBerry were trying to do, but I don't think it was the best long term business decision. By supporting Android apps they have:

- discouraged developers from bothering to make native apps
    - given themselves another expensive to maintain software layer over which they have little to no control and can't easily drop support for
    - given approval to the Android way
    - thrown away USPs of BlackBerry os10, case in point the selectable permission model for app permissions and the security benefits which it brings
    - provided a glut of often poor quality android apps which do not behave like the native user experience
    - made BlackBerry phones look like wannabe droids

Don't get me wrong, it's cool technology, but it only provides short term gains and huge long term costs. They would have been better spending money sponsoring some of the big name apps to create native versions perhaps even sending some of their own developers out to support them. New innovative apps could also be funded with care to ensure their delivery.
    07-26-14 06:13 AM
    Folks, I think we need to remember that this is a consequence of a policy that BlackBerry deliberately put in place, so this must be what they wanted to happen. Back when they announced that they were partnering with Amazon, it quickly became crystal clear that they were ditching support and encouragement for consumer-grade apps - their exclusive focus was going to be enterprise, productivity and business from then onwards. We, the non-business users, need to understand this sooner than later, and accept the fact that the apps we use most are going to be Android apps... :S
    GSM-S likes this.
    07-26-14 06:30 AM
    That may be Ok if policies prevent these new exclusively business phones from installing any android software. But many business users also install "consumer grade" software. Even with BlackBerry Balance, it would be enough for a rogue app to track a sensitive phone's wherabouts to cause headaches.
    07-26-14 06:41 AM
    All a bit of a done deal now anyway.
    07-26-14 06:43 AM
    Where are all the people who were cheering when BlackBerry announced you would be able to run android apps on bb10?
    It sucks if active developers are leaving but having the option to install androids apps isn't a bad this to me.
    These are the apps I use on a regular basis :
    I use iGrann (pro)
    SlickTasks
    Data usage counter
    BaSA
    B-weather
    Bbm
    Play cloud
    Nobex
    Clip man
    Parrot
    Sync
    Cbc news
    RSS savy
    Maps
    WhatsApp
    Twitter
    Docs to go
    These are all native apps. (pretty sure nobex is I could be wrong).

Non native apps I use that run fine
    Kobo
    Occasionally I'll use Instagram. Though not much since the pro version of iGrann came out.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:35 AM
    As long as BlackBerry doesn't get a bigger market share were stuck with mostly android ports or side loading. If the share rises so can native app development.

I believe BlackBerry users are more willing to pay for apps then the average Google user.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:36 AM
    The issue for people seems to be if there is one or two specific apps you need or want. And their isn't a native version for it. Though most apps have an independently developed equal in BlackBerry World

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:37 AM
    Who cares what platform the app is from as long as it works.

STL-4. 10.2.1.3274 w/ 1259 clock
    SnoozerBold and acovey like this.
    07-26-14 08:14 AM
    Who cares what platform the app is from as long as it works.

*raises hand*. And define 'works'? Works to me is not having to give up core design features of BlackBerry.

If BlackBerry had built up a good native store *then* enabled android apps as well to steal further market share, then that would probably have been Ok (assuming some way of reconciling the app permission model to prioritise BlackBerry) . Maybe even clever.
    07-26-14 08:44 AM
    *raises hand*. And define 'works'? Works to me is not having to give up core design features of BlackBerry.

If BlackBerry had built up a good native store *then* enabled android apps as well to steal further market share, then that would probably have been Ok (assuming some way of reconciling the app permission model to prioritise BlackBerry) . Maybe even clever.
    Good point.
    07-26-14 08:59 AM

I agree but the big apps weren't interested in developing for BlackBerry 10. I'm not sure what more they could have done to get them. I wish they did get them. Then there wouldn't have been a need for Amazon at all. However. I get by with just app world and just a few android ports available in app world.
    I thought I was an app guy I use a ton but I guess im not or I'm missing out on something since many people seem to think it's a big issue.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 09:22 AM

What core designs are you referring to?

And don't get me wrong, I am only running 5- 8 android apps. But I am thankful for the android runtime because if we didn't have it, I might have to swap to a different platform for my banking and business travel needs, which I do not care to do.

And its not all BB's fault. The users are just as responsible as many refuse to actually purchase apps or they can't due to their BlackBerry device being issued by their employer

07-26-14 10:18 AM
    With or without the Amazon deal and Android runtime we would be having this exact same conversation about devs pulling support for native apps. Devs are pulling support because BB10 has thus far proven to be a commercial failure. Sales are abysmal. Even before the amazon announcement their were numerous apps that had not received updates in BB world, both native and Android. When market share increases to a meaningful level then devs will look seriously at the platform regardless of the Android runtime.

I'm glad that I have Android apps to fill in the gap as BB10 would not be an option for many without some core apps available.

OP, I also want you to look at the big picture. BB is releasing two new phones very soon. When these phones make it into reviewers hands one thing you can be certain we will NOT be hearing is them complain about Blackberry not having Instagram, Candy Crush, and Netflix. This is huge from a consumer perception perspective. And frankly most consumers don't know the difference between a native app on BB10 versus an android app. As long as it works well then I'm sure they won't give a hoot.
    acovey and spikesolie like this.
    07-26-14 10:36 AM
    The core feature that irks me ATM is having to revert to the all or nothing permissions of android. It's a big deal for me.

I guess in some ways it is the classic chicken and egg problem with developers, and is one of the rare occasions when I support subsidy. You have to create a market for a market to exist.

With that said, it's certainly not the cause of BlackBerry's woes with bb10. That's probably more to do with seriously bungling the release of the z10.
    Gerii likes this.
    07-26-14 11:13 AM
    The permission requirement would be there if it was a BB10 app.
    Folks need to get over the permissions stuff. It is a requirement to utilize the features of the app. Not because someone wants have access to your stuff.

For example, if you have a bank app that features taking a pic of a check to deposit to your account, how would that feature work if it didn't have access to camera, photos, or files within the app

07-26-14 04:33 PM
    The permission requirement would be there if it was a BB10 app.
    Folks need to get over the permissions stuff. It is a requirement to utilize the features of the app. Not because someone wants have access to your stuff.
    If it was a bb10 app, it would let me choose which permissions to grant. A well written app would then run within those limitations with whatever reduced capability.
    Anyway, how do I know looking at any particular app that it is legit and not just after my stuff? At least Google claims to analyse (by automation) all apps submitted to the play store. I haven't yet been able to determine if BlackBerry do so. But even this is far from infallible.
    Remember that BlackBerry trumpets security and app permissions are a core feature of it.
    For example, if you have a bank app that features taking a pic of a check to deposit to your account, how would that feature work if it didn't have access to camera, photos, or files within the app
    But what if all I want to use the app for is to check my balance? Besides if I really was going to install a banking app, it would have to have been verifiably published by my bank and I would probably have a higher level of trust in it, in comparison to other random apps.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    07-26-14 06:41 PM
    At least Google claims to analyse (by automation) all apps submitted to the play store. I haven't yet been able to determine if BlackBerry do so.
    Yes, they have manual and automatic checks for apps in BlackBerry World.

Native App Gap rising-img_20140727_033110.png

I'd still like to be on the safe side, especially as they won't be able to detect everything and a lot of the tracking is legal anyway (I always turn off location services because for some reason Skype wants to know my location when it is open).
    Also I'm not sure how Amazon is vetting their apps. And it's even more important if the apps are sideloaded or from stores like 1Mobile.
    I hope that AppOps will be working with the 4.3 runtime in BlackBerry 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    baarn likes this.
    07-26-14 08:38 PM
    If it was a bb10 app, it would let me choose which permissions to grant. A well written app would then run within those limitations ......
    Then you have downloaded different bb10 apps than I have. I have not had the option to refuse access

07-26-14 10:26 PM
50 12