I honestly dont expect to see any major surprises come the 30th.

I think we've already seen the biggest features that BB10 has to offer.
    The reason for this is because i read somewhere that in an interview that a RIM exec stated that their target with BB10 is 3rd, once they have 3rd wrapped up, they will shoot for second, then 1st in the mobile market.
    This along with the fact that BB10, so far, offers nothing to tempt away fans of the other platforms, is what makes me think there is not much more to see from BB10. At best BB10 can grab the casual users of other platforms which by itself is no insignificant number.

Personally i think this is incredibly smart and realistic of RIM, they arent going all in, as people like to claim. While BB10 is certainly a last shot, they're aiming to rebuild themselves slowly, not in one fell swoop.
    This is good because BB10 needs a lot more before it can hope to beat iOS and Android. I also think BB10 has the potential to evolve into an iOS/Android beater. but it will take time, and the fact RIM are shooting to retain the third at first shows they realise this.

I'm seeing a lot of excitement for BB10 which isnt a bad thing, but i hope too many dont get caught up and expect something RIM cant deliver, because they will blame RIM for raising expectations when RIM are actually not guilty of that.

So thats my thoughts on what RIM are doing with BB10, establishing themselves a platform with which they can then refine and evolve it to the point that enables them to launch an attack on the big two.

I hope that is the case as it shows RIM do have a plan for the future, and will hopefully not be resting on the laurels once BB10 is released.

Please keep any opinions constructive. There's far too many childlike abuse on these forums these days and i want to try and keep this thread civil.
    01-14-13 02:49 PM
    RIM is only aiming for 3rd to remain realistic.

There is no way within a year they would take over Android or iOS.

I think RIM has something up their sleeves for Jan 30. Most leaks are the same thing. Hardware will always leak, but there are things they're hiding.
    01-14-13 02:55 PM

I think RIM has something up their sleeves for Jan 30. Most leaks are the same thing. Hardware will always leak, but there are things they're hiding.
    i dunno, i''ve seen a lot more leaked then what RIM has revealed.
    I think a lot of what RIM has left to reveal has already been leaked. i dont buy into the controlled leak theories.

I think there will be some surprises, just nothing major.

What i have already seen is enough to convince me to get a BB10 device.
    The onnly thing that can change that is the price
    magutwit, dynot, whitbags and 1 others like this.
    01-14-13 02:58 PM
    While I agree with a lot of what you said, I disagree with your overall sentiment that we've seen it all. Everyone who has had a backroom, private viewing of what's coming, is saying that there's so much more. Also, all the "telling" smiles that the RIM team, especially Thor, gives when asked questions about things that aren't out yet, tells me that we have yet to see all there is. What they have shown has been essential as it's what you need to see to even operate and navigate the system. Yes, this has all been fantastic but I believe there will be much more. Maybe not blow your socks off more, but more goods none the less.
    01-14-13 03:00 PM
    I guess we'll have to wait till January 30th to see. I know for a fact that there are several suprising things to be announced at launch, I don't know what those things are though.
    01-14-13 03:04 PM
    I don't believe in controlled leaks either...but something is coming Jan 30.

I expect BBM, 3rd party apps, and something new to be the forefront.
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-14-13 03:05 PM
    While I agree with a lot of what you said, I disagree with your overall sentiment that we've seen it all. Everyone who has had a backroom, private viewing of what's coming, is saying that there's so much more. Also, all the "telling" smiles that the RIM team, especially Thor, gives when asked questions about things that aren't out yet, tells me that we have yet to see all there is. What they have shown has been essential as it's what you need to see to even operate and navigate the system. Yes, this has all been fantastic but I believe there will be much more. Maybe not blow your socks off more, but more goods none the less.
    yeah what you say has me thinking that, so here is hoping that there is more taht is on par if not better then what we've seen so far.
    the only niggle is that RIM so far hasnt officially shown much with BB10. What has been leaked could very well be some of those big announcements. such as BBM video
    i hope i'm wrong though
    01-14-13 03:06 PM
    so far what I've seen is great, if there more its a plus, if Rim takes third spot it means their headed in the upward direction. either way I'm there.
    01-14-13 03:07 PM
    I hope this isnt true but I cant deny its a concern and a nagging worry.
    If theres anything to get excited about, it should be drip fed to build up enthusiasm.
    If youre still lacking confidence in your product so you can only show it behind locked doors, thats not a good sign.
    So far, nothing leaked offers any reason BB10 will be better than, or even equal, whats already around.
    Something has to be up their sleeves. Surely.
    BBInPlay likes this.
    01-14-13 03:08 PM
    Jan 30 2013
    01-14-13 03:11 PM
    I hope this isnt true but I cant deny its a concern and a nagging worry.
    If theres anything to get excited about, it should be drip fed to build up enthusiasm.
    If youre still lacking confidence in your product so you can only show it behind locked doors, thats not a good sign.
    So far, nothing leaked offers any reason BB10 will be better than, or even equal, whats already around.
    Something has to be up their sleeves. Surely.
    i kinda disagree on one point. i think BB10 is very much equal with the competition.
    cant hurt to have features that take a direct swipe at the competition either though
    01-14-13 03:12 PM
    I think the material they have shown is what they couldn't hide on the developer units so you might as wel show it off. There are definitely a couple big questions remaining that I think there are enough hints at.
    For example, online storage integration, BBM video, BB10 licensing, QNX integration, and the fate of the playbook.
    howarmat, BB12MX, jakie55 and 1 others like this.
    01-14-13 03:17 PM
    yeah what you say has me thinking that, so here is hoping that there is more taht is on par if not better then what we've seen so far.
    the only niggle is that RIM so far hasnt officially shown much with BB10. What has been leaked could very well be some of those big announcements. such as BBM video
    i hope i'm wrong though
    I agree as well, that some of the leaks "may" take away from what's coming but I don't think so entirely. I know you, and many others, don't believe in the planned leak scenario but if you look at the timing of these leaks, they are really quite genious. Just as there's no real "news" or interesting tidbits to talk about, bang, another leak. These are all things that have had to be done to continue the excitement and keep them in the media and talked about. I very well could be reading deeper than it really is, and they really could be legitimate leaks, but I think their team is extremely smart and have done a great job in providing us things to talk about, write about, and keep the excitement going all the way up to the launch.
    robkd and jakie55 like this.
    01-14-13 03:18 PM
    unless you are keeping your expectation low so you are not disappointed, i dont understand this post. Do you seriously think there wont be any surprises? Seriously? No for real, do you really think we've seen everything? for real? You're not serious...nahhh. you cant be...
    Thachoc1 and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    01-14-13 03:18 PM
    unless you are keeping your expectation low so you are not disappointed, i dont understand this post. Do you seriously think there wont be any surprises? Seriously? No for real, do you really think we've seen everything? for real? You're not serious...nahhh. you cant be...
    i said no major surprises? i think i said that. if not i meant that.
    there will be more surprises, just nothing that makes me go OMG.
    01-14-13 03:21 PM
    After seeing what the QNX prototype cars have to offer, especially the Bentley, I'm thinking they have one or even two big surprises up their sleeves.

I'm thinking one might be that the HUB will allow for cross platform communication with imessage and android. Just a guess or should I say hoping!
    01-14-13 03:25 PM
    that qnx car is something.
    if i ahd a lottery win, i'd so be contacting those guys to work their magic on my car!
    01-14-13 03:27 PM
    i kinda disagree on one point. i think BB10 is very much equal with the competition.
    cant hurt to have features that take a direct swipe at the competition either though
    From whats shown so far, aside from Multitasking, which only becomes an issue when you have apps to multitask between, how is it in any way equal to the competition? So far?
    01-14-13 03:28 PM
    I think the material they have shown is what they couldn't hide on the developer units so you might as wel show it off. There are definitely a couple big questions remaining that I think there are enough hints at.
    For example, online storage integration, BBM video, BB10 licensing, QNX integration, and the fate of the playbook.
    Tune in next week for another exciting episode of "Thor and the Gang from Waterloo!" I think lots of good stuff is coming but I have virtually no inside knowledge. I am willing to buy multiple units of what I have seen so far. Everything else is just icing on the cake for me.
    kozmo68 and Stocklone like this.
    01-14-13 03:29 PM
    From whats shown so far, aside from Multitasking, which only becomes an issue when you have apps to multitask between, how is it in any way equal to the competition? So far?
    what can the others do that BB10 cant.
    BB10 is an OS that is designed around touch which makes a huge difference when compared to os7, it has a competive browser which is a huge plus, as a lot of my friends gave up on bb because the browser plain sucked, and has a keyboard that is as good as if not better then the competition.
    i think it will be presumptious to assume bb10 has no apps, so i'm waiting to see on that case. at the very least it sounds like bb10 is a lot more app friendly than any other platform, from what i've heard from devs. that is a good thing
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    01-14-13 03:34 PM
    I disagree. I think there will be some surprises. They might not rock the world for some. You can please everyone. But to thing they won't have anything else to offer is wrong. You can't get to 1st without taken the third spot. They are not offering a product to be third. They want a product line that will move them back up. If they can do something different, better or offer something the others don't have then they will offer it. If not, someone else will beat them to it.

James
    01-14-13 03:48 PM
    As RIM's Team has said "We have only seen the Surface" so yes there Are more surprises that we the Consumer have Not seen. Also what has been showed is all for Business. We have yet to see anything for the Consumer side. And for those that Have seen the final version Are Not going to say anything as to that would violate their NDA. Same with tech bloggers, carriers. They can't say anything so RIM knows what the public is expecting and they won't make a mistake at leaving us disappointed...but maybe just the apps category. But, again We won't know until January 30th. The leaks shown are the Same thing..same techniques, screen shots. It's all controlled I'm betting and the Real surprises are close to their chest.
    DJM626, Shadowyugi and convenor like this.
    01-14-13 03:50 PM
    After seeing what the QNX prototype cars have to offer, especially the Bentley, I'm thinking they have one or even two big surprises up their sleeves.

I'm thinking one might be that the HUB will allow for cross platform communication with imessage and android. Just a guess or should I say hoping!
    Yep. It's called SMS. . Seriously, I think there will be more. Thorsten will want more than one "Oh, one more thing" moment on stage.
    01-14-13 03:57 PM

Well, they never will be 1st with that attitude...

I hate to bring up Apple in comparison, but they took the industry by storm in a year.

Why should RIM limit themselves? Oh yeah, that's right, they have to abide by this thing that average and mediocre people call "realistic".

(Not calling you, AVPTI, average/mediocre, just the people who support that narrative in general)
    01-14-13 04:01 PM
    fact that BB10, so far, offers nothing to tempt away fans of the other platforms
    Calling this a "fact" is where I think you've gone wrong. It offers several incentives -
    1. The UI is better than anything out there so far. Yes I know buttonless swipe gesture UI's have been done before but not by a company that already has massive carrier support. And I'm sure many of you have heard over and over how people wished the companies that made those UI's didn't fail. Why do people just naturally enjoy swiping rather than buttons? It's just a better way to navigate. It feels right. Plenty of iPhone owners who have a Playbook will tell you they fall into the habit so easily that they keep catching themselves "swiping" their iPhone, but you don't hear them saying they keep looking for the Home button on their PB.

2. BB10's message Hub is better than the Android/iPhone offerings. Not by a big deal, but it is better. RIM cleverly took what those have, and improved on it.

3. It's the only other brand on the market besides Apple currently offering you both the devices and the OS from the same company. Android devices are built by disparate OEM's, and WP8 uses OEM partners as well to build and distribute. Believe me, waiting for support and OS updates on 3rd party OEM devices SUCKS. I'm in that boat with Android and I HATE it. Loathe it. If I were to stay with Android, I would never again buy anything other than a Nexus Android. Period.

4. The iPhone 5 is a fine device. But I am hearing more and more grumblings about people being fed up with them for not doing much new with the UI since the 3G. Even Android, which takes the iPhone UI and adds to it with customization and widgets is slightly behind the game on this because widgets (the really useful ones that you can do a lot with) do not have a very light memory or battery footprint. Customization of your screen can be fun, but after the novelty wears off... not so much for the average Joe/Jane who isn't hanging around xdadevelopers.com

5. Blackberry has a pretty healthy reputation for build quality. That matters to people. The USA's biggest smartphone warranty company (last I checked in 2011) listed iPhone and BB as having the least amount of warranty claims for manufacturer defects, with Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia etc all trailing behind by quite a wide margin.

That pretty much leaves only 2 things:
    1. RIM needs to keep working to inform the public that they aren't the "old" RIM anymore so people will stop saying things like "huh, RIM? That company is still around? I thought they went under"
    2. The app gap. Yes, it will take much work to close the gap enough to lure people who are entrenched in the iTunes / Google Play ecosystem.
    01-14-13 04:03 PM
178 123 ...