I haven't seen or heard anything about this. What's the d-lo on this?
    BBM Video with screen sharing confirmed for BlackBerry 10 in leaked slide | CrackBerry.com

Image was removed unfortunately, but BBM with Video Chat will also have a screen sharing feature. Should be a nice way to chat, look through photos, presentations, or documents together
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    01-15-13 12:39 PM
    I don't consider you a troll at all...I enjoy thoughtful, intelligent responses. If anything, people probably consider me a troll for playing the devils advocate on here...Lol. I guess we just have a difference of opinion on what defines a successful launch for BB10. Most on here (and yourself) consider it a successful event if BB fires up its base of users. I don't consider that a success. I believe in order for BB10 to be considered a success, it HAS to pull customers away from Android and iOS and build its base. And based on that theory, it has to separate itself from those two with new and exciting features. I just don't see that they are doing that. They are joining the game late with very similar features and in some cases, less features. I don't see how that is a winning formula. Hope I'm wrong!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Your rant falls in the category of "Oh no! RIM's not doing enough! Nobody knows about BB10!", and that's very wrong on a lot of levels.

1. RIM has been pouring money into getting developers on-board; all the gimmicky "teaser" marketing in the world won't replace a decent app portfolio
    2. RIM has been engaging the enterprise community and keeping them in the loop with early trials
    3. RIM has been making it as easy as possible for current Android and iOS developers to move their apps over
    4. They've been targeting media VERY carefully; if you watch Business News Network in Canada, Bloomberg in the US, or pay attention to Forbes, you already have a pretty good idea of what BB10 is.

If RIM attempts some kind of widespread "teaser" campaign, all they're going to get from the public is "Blackberry?! I thought they were dead..." BB10 is great, but in ways that aren't that easy to communicate without people actually handling the phone.
    01-15-13 12:41 PM
    So, the conclusion is wait until BB10 handset available at the market
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-15-13 01:44 PM
    I honestly dont expect to see any major surprises come the 30th.

I think we've already seen the biggest features that BB10 has to offer.
    The reason for this is because i read somewhere that in an interview that a RIM exec stated that their target with BB10 is 3rd, once they have 3rd wrapped up, they will shoot for second, then 1st in the mobile market.
    This along with the fact that BB10, so far, offers nothing to tempt away fans of the other platforms, is what makes me think there is not much more to see from BB10. At best BB10 can grab the casual users of other platforms which by itself is no insignificant number.

Personally i think this is incredibly smart and realistic of RIM, they arent going all in, as people like to claim. While BB10 is certainly a last shot, they're aiming to rebuild themselves slowly, not in one fell swoop.
    This is good because BB10 needs a lot more before it can hope to beat iOS and Android. I also think BB10 has the potential to evolve into an iOS/Android beater. but it will take time, and the fact RIM are shooting to retain the third at first shows they realise this.

I'm seeing a lot of excitement for BB10 which isnt a bad thing, but i hope too many dont get caught up and expect something RIM cant deliver, because they will blame RIM for raising expectations when RIM are actually not guilty of that.

So thats my thoughts on what RIM are doing with BB10, establishing themselves a platform with which they can then refine and evolve it to the point that enables them to launch an attack on the big two.

I hope that is the case as it shows RIM do have a plan for the future, and will hopefully not be resting on the laurels once BB10 is released.

Please keep any opinions constructive. There's far too many childlike abuse on these forums these days and i want to try and keep this thread civil.
    /
    BB10 has nothing to tempt iOS/Android users away? Nothing? Are you serious? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing?

I had to see your post count and your badge, because you really seem misinformed about BlackBerry 10. We all here know iOS has a lot of users and lovers, and so does Android, but seriously? Nothing? You saying that BB10 is just too little? I mean, nothing?

I'm sorry but I just can't get over it... Nothing? Like nothing nothing?

I really think that you need to separate two things. One thing is user adoption and the other is actual Operative System matches. The first dictates if an OS is successful or not, the second if the OS is better or not. iOS is NOTHING but an app launcher platform. It does nothing if it doesn't have "an app for that". What made iOS what it is today were the DEVELOPERS that were the ones that took iOS to a whole new level. iOS is just a dumb OS if you really look at it. If you want to do something on it you must launch an app that will do what the OS itself can't.

Look, no one here is claiming that BlackBerry 10 will take iOS or Android down in the short term. BB10 is an impressive OS that will go to the hands of the consumers in two weeks and will prove itself as a real contender for iOS and Android.

I know that you "want to keep this thread civil" but dam dude, it's hard to stay calm when you see this much skepticism flirting with troll-ism. QNX + BlackBerry 10 + time = will prove you wrong, and that will be the major surprise from RIM.
    collinc93 likes this.
    01-15-13 01:55 PM
    It's just another opinion. But, save the thoughts (of trolls) for later.....when the they start popping up after the launch. .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 02:10 PM
    Anyway... the true will show at janaury 30th
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-15-13 02:41 PM
    /
    BB10 has nothing to tempt iOS/Android users away? Nothing? Are you serious? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing?

I had to see your post count and your badge, because you really seem misinformed about BlackBerry 10. We all here know iOS has a lot of users and lovers, and so does Android, but seriously? Nothing? You saying that BB10 is just too little? I mean, nothing?

I'm sorry but I just can't get over it... Nothing? Like nothing nothing?

I really think that you need to separate two things. One thing is user adoption and the other is actual Operative System matches. The first dictates if an OS is successful or not, the second if the OS is better or not. iOS is NOTHING but an app launcher platform. It does nothing if it doesn't have "an app for that". What made iOS what it is today were the DEVELOPERS that were the ones that took iOS to a whole new level. iOS is just a dumb OS if you really look at it. If you want to do something on it you must launch an app that will do what the OS itself can't.

Look, no one here is claiming that BlackBerry 10 will take iOS or Android down in the short term. BB10 is an impressive OS that will go to the hands of the consumers in two weeks and will prove itself as a real contender for iOS and Android.

I know that you "want to keep this thread civil" but dam dude, it's hard to stay calm when you see this much skepticism flirting with troll-ism. QNX + BlackBerry 10 + time = will prove you wrong, and that will be the major surprise from RIM.
    Actually, I said the same thing...at least as far as Android goes, iPhone may be another story. There is NOTHING that BB10 offers that Android doesn't...at least that's meaningful to a majority of users. I could list a book that Android offers that BB10 does not...there in lies the problem that RIM will have.

01-15-13 02:55 PM
    Actually, I said the same thing...at least as far as Android goes, iPhone may be another story. There is NOTHING that BB10 offers that Android doesn't...at least that's meaningful to a majority of users. I could list a book that Android offers that BB10 does not...there in lies the problem that RIM will have.

BB10 offers security? I have read a few times on the net "2013 the year of malware for Android".
    Something interesting here too : Mercenary Hackers Target Android, Windows Phone, iPhone in Operation 'Red October' - N4BB
    01-15-13 03:56 PM
    BB10 offers security? I have read a few times on the net "2013 the year of malware for Android".
    Something interesting here too : Mercenary Hackers Target Android, Windows Phone, iPhone in Operation 'Red October' - N4BB
    They have been saying that for years

01-15-13 03:59 PM
    I disagree op. They have shown enough to build excitement and get people talking but they have Wow factor left for the 30th. It's gonna be Wowmazing!
    01-15-13 05:09 PM
    while i might agree some what if the op. I do think there are other features of BB10 we haven't seen, maybe they aren't game changers but I think they will excite people.

Now in the future I do think RIM is going to expand the active frame feature into something really amazing. Also, think they will have something up their sleeves of getting cars connected to the internet and integrating with your phone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 05:24 PM
    And then??? we still getting the phone..No has got the balls to do what rim has done demwise.Could you imaginne orange or cyborg doing demo's like this.Specs would'nt save them..Jan 30th we'll find out everything no matter what we'll still buy the phone.No has got the balls to do what rim has done here.
    01-15-13 06:03 PM
    And then??? we still getting the phone..No has got the balls to do what rim has done demwise.Could you imaginne orange or cyborg doing demo's like this.Specs would'nt save them..Jan 30th we'll find out everything no matter what we'll still buy the phone.No has got the balls to do what rim has done here.
    Balls to do what exactly? I'm confused

01-15-13 06:10 PM

You're right in the sense that there's little that's really in-your-face blatant with BB10. That doesn't mean there's "NOTHING", though.

There's a consistency to the UI that just isn't there with Android. Active Frames is a very effective way of managing running apps (and terminating ones you don't need). Hub is a very effective way to keep you connected.

In fact, "effective" is probably the best word I can use to describe BB10. Navigation is quick and clean.

And as prosaic as I know this sounds, the keyboard rocks. People will buy BB10 just for the keyboard.
    sf49ers and CrownIsle like this.
    01-15-13 06:16 PM
    You're right in the sense that there's little that's really in-your-face blatant with BB10. That doesn't mean there's "NOTHING", though.

There's a consistency to the UI that just isn't there with Android. Active Frames is a very effective way of managing running apps (and terminating ones you don't need). Hub is a very effective way to keep you connected.

In fact, "effective" is probably the best word I can use to describe BB10. Navigation is quick and clean.

And as prosaic as I know this sounds, the keyboard rocks. People will buy BB10 just for the keyboard.
    I hope you're right!

CrownIsle likes this.
    01-15-13 06:27 PM
    The problem once again with RIM and Blackberry is that their marketing absolutely sucks. There is NO ONE...not one person who knows a damn thing about BB10 besides people on here. There is 0 excitement being built up in the lead up to this all or nothing launch. For this to be as make it or break it as it is, this could possibly be the worst marketing campaign in tech history...just ahead of the Playbook launch. I had hopes for BB10 a while back, but now I'm starting to understand the phrase, "the best predictor of someone's future is their past". They are making the same mistakes that got them to where they are and that will get them the same results they have always had. Just the fact that on the most celebrated BlackBerry forum in existence people are talking about no "wow" factor and a "boring" design spells doom for this release and most likely for RIM. If they have any big surprises left for launch, they will be behind the scenes stuff that the general public could care less about. Sure, techies on here may eat up some type of extra super duper security feature or whatever, but that doesn't make the average joe walking in to a store to buy a phone excited. Mark my words, this phone and launch is going to be a miserable failure and this site is going to be LOADED UP with complaints and sob stories within days of the big launch.

I will list the mistakes of this phone that will ultimately kill it in the marketplace:

1. 4.2" screen is too small this day and age. People are used to 4.5" and bigger. This will turn people away before even taking a look at the OS. Apple is starting to feel the effects of their 4" screen already (cutting production by 50%). The only reason they have hung on as long as they have is because of their past. If they continue on with their mentality, they will be insignificant in the mobile world within 4-5 years. In doubt they will make that mistake however.

2. No widgets (or eye candy) - the average joe wants their phone to look good when they turn it on. This OS looks boring...as boring as iOS. There is no consistent home screen. From what I can tell, the active icon screen disappears if they are all gone and defaults to the first page of apps? That will be confusing to most and iOS boring for all.

3. Active icons (whatever they are called) just look old and outdated. The icons should have rounded edges. Another mistake is having them constantly change based on how often you use them. They need to be able to be set up statically. I don't want to have to guess where my active icon is every time I flip to that page and I suspect most won't like that either.

4. Peek feature is a complete rehash of Android, but from the side and not top. I see no real world advantage of this over Android and once again, I suspect it will get blasted as a "copy" of android by most that take a quick look at it while browsing through their mobile store.

5. Icons look terrible...worse than iOS and considerably worse than Android...I mean bad bad bad. They are far too large for the smaller screen size (which makes the screen look even smaller).

6. As listed above... marketing. BB's marketing could be the worst marketing of any tech company in history. No lead up for a make it or break it unveiling leads to death. Look no further than the Playbook as proof of this. This will be an exact repeat of that product. While it is a decent product, most people walking in best buy or wherever to buy a tablet don't even know that the Playbook exists. And when a sales guy shows it to the customer, all the customer knows is that it's a blackberry and quickly moves on. This will happen to the BB10 as well.

7. Keyboard/camera - while the keyboard looks interesting, I can guarantee you that most will be able to type faster on a normal touchscreen keyboard and could care less about flicking words up to the screen. Sometimes things that work don't need to be changed just for the sake of change...this is one of them. The camera does nothing that the newer Samsung phones don't do. My Note 2 (as well as the S3) can change faces individually...that will be a feature that neither attracts nor pushes people away from the phone, therefore it is a dead feature (bb needs excitement, not status quo).

My main point in this rant is that it may very well be an OK phone, but OK is not what BB needs right now...they need something that actually attracts customers. They need something that makes a customer want to buy by just looking at it without a sales guy coming over to explain features in order to make them buy it. What I'm saying is BB10 needs to be marketed where people are going to the store to buy the phone out of excitement, not just learning about the phone for the first time while they're looking at other phones. If the latter is the case, then it will lose every time based on the things I have pointed out above. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, as competition is a great thing, but I would bet that this launch will be an abject failure.

I could exert the time and effort to dissect all of the points you listed but it's frankly too much so I'll just sum it up by saying no to all of them. They're inaccurate, incorrect and basically a collection of personal opinions base on your own tastes about smartphones.
    kemj, lorax1284 and BThunderW like this.
    01-15-13 07:17 PM
    Jan 30:
    there will be surprise App announcements - some good ones that people will care about.
    perhaps a commercial partnership or liscense agreement.
    BBM will at least move to windows so that people at desktops will be able to type on a keyboard. that is easy enough with a browser plug in. Yippie!
    NFC payments - no brainer.
    Link will be better than Itunes
    and it will run iphone apps. (well, maybe not that one).
    01-15-13 07:31 PM

If you take everything that BB10 does that Android doesn't and purposely label it as "meaningless" of course BB10 will have nothing over Android... Your "book" of "Things Android does that BB10 doesn't " would have just a few lines, not even a full page.

It might not be enough to write a book but BB10 offers real-time processing and multi-tasking, top notch mobile security, STABILITY, highest HTML5 compatibility, smoothness, and other techy things. Android only has the massive customization level we all know and now the multi-window support. Other than that Android has nothing over BlackBerry 10, perhaps a few hundred more fart apps.
    01-15-13 07:36 PM
    If you take everything that BB10 does that Android doesn't and purposely label it as "meaningless" of course BB10 will have nothing over Android... Your "book" of "Things Android does that BB10 doesn't " would have just a few lines, not even a full page.

It might not be enough to write a book but BB10 offers real-time processing and multi-tasking, top notch mobile security, STABILITY, highest HTML5 compatibility, smoothness, and other techy things. Android only has the massive customization level we all know and now the multi-window support. Other than that Android has nothing over BlackBerry 10, perhaps a few hundred more fart apps.
    Well, other than the 600hp your corvette has over my 300hp Nissan, your car has nothing over mine...Lol

You clearly are not up on the latest Android smartphones. Take a quick look at what features the S3 or Note 2 offer and you will quickly see what book I'm referring to.

And not sure why you point out real time multitasking as something that BB10 has that Android doesn't?

01-15-13 07:43 PM
    Well, other than the 600hp your corvette has over my 300hp Nissan, your car has nothing over mine...Lol

You clearly are not up on the latest Android smartphones. Take a quick look at what features the S3 or Note 2 offer and you will quickly see what book I'm referring to.

And not sure why you point out real time multitasking as something that BB10 has that Android doesn't?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/16/mysujy4y.jpg

Oh no no no my friend, that sucks, that is app switching... and is not real multitasking... some of those are open apps and some other are recent opened apps, even the "opened apps", that are suposed to be running, they are just "paused".. in a stand by mode, when you relaunch them, they "refresh" everything, try puting your chrome browser on idle and then coming back, it will "refresh" but not "updated" its content.
    lorax1284 and sf49ers like this.
    01-15-13 08:13 PM
    Oh no no no my friend, that sucks, that is app switching... and is not real multitasking... some of those are open apps and some other are recent opened apps, even the "opened apps", that are suposed to be running, they are just "paused".. in a stand by mode, when you relaunch them, they "refresh" everything, try puting your chrome browser on idle and then coming back, it will "refresh" but not "updated" its content.
    With lesser RAM phones you may be correct...not so much with the newer iteration of Android phones with 2 gigs of ram. If I exit out of an app then it's closed, if I home button out of an app then it's idle and will re-open at paused state.

01-15-13 08:20 PM
    [QUOTE=darkehawke;7852964]I honestly dont expect to see any major surprises come the 30th.

The reason for this is because i read somewhere that in an interview that a RIM exec stated that their target with BB10 is 3rd, once they have 3rd wrapped up, they will shoot for second, then 1st in the mobile market.
    This along with the fact that BB10, so far, offers nothing to tempt away fans of the other platforms, is what makes me think there is not much more to see from BB10. At best BB10 can grab the casual users of other platforms which by itself is no insignificant number.

Personally i think this is incredibly smart and realistic of RIM, they arent going all in, as people like to claim. While BB10 is certainly a last shot, they're aiming to rebuild themselves slowly, not in one fell swoop.
    This is good because BB10 needs a lot more before it can hope to beat iOS and Android. I also think BB10 has the potential to evolve into an iOS/Android beater. but it will take time, and the fact RIM are shooting to retain the third at first shows they realise this

I'm seeing a lot of excitement for BB10 which isnt a bad thing, but i hope too many dont get caught up and expect something RIM cant deliver, because they will blame RIM for raising expectations when RIM are actually not guilty of that.

End of quote

While I appreciate your opinion, I think you are off base. Just look at the new releases we saw today. In every aspect, BB10 simply blows Apple out of the water. The camera comparison on gadgetmaster was particularly telling. Wow, the iPhone just looked like some sort of relic from the 18th century. This demonstration alone made me reflect on all the other issues that Apple seems to have with IOS. Can't incorporate an NFC chip that has been rival phones for two years. I used to loath the word leap frog from RIM but it looks like that just might happen. Why not think about being #1 or perhaps #2. It all seems possible with BB10.
    01-15-13 08:35 PM
    [QUOTE=THBW;7857560]
    I honestly dont expect to see any major surprises come the 30th.

This is good because BB10 needs a lot more before it can hope to beat iOS and Android. I also think BB10 has the potential to evolve into an iOS/Android beater. but it will take time, and the fact RIM are shooting to retain the third at first shows they realise this

End of quote

While I appreciate your opinion, I think you are off base. Just look at the new releases we saw today. In every aspect, BB10 simply blows Apple out of the water. The camera comparison on gadgetmaster was particularly telling. Wow, the iPhone just looked like some sort of relic from the 18th century. This demonstration alone made me reflect on all the other issues that Apple seems to have with IOS. Can't incorporate an NFC chip that has been rival phones for two years. I used to loath the word leap frog from RIM but it looks like that just might happen. Why not think about being #1 or perhaps #2. It all seems possible with BB10.
    On one hand you say don't raise expectations, on the other you say that rim can leapfrog in to number 1 or 2?

01-15-13 08:39 PM
    What have we seen of Cascades?
    Cloud?
    video editing?
    apps?
    Nothing really.
    RIM has maintained they are saving the best for last. I believe them!
    01-15-13 08:56 PM
    What have we seen of Cascades?
    Cloud?
    video editing?
    apps?
    Nothing really.
    RIM has maintained they are saving the best for last. I believe them!
    we have seen plenty of the cascades as its built into UI/framework and we see that in all the apps and features we have seen so far.

Story Maker is the video editing software that has been shown off a few times.

Apps will be something to be revealed still and the cloud is still unclear on how much RIM has there.

There are things we havent seen obviously but there is alot we have seen. but to say "nothing really" is far from the truth
    01-15-13 09:05 PM
178 ... 23456 ...