Maybe I have a wondering mind but I�m always thinking of adjustments to the user experience and interface of BB10. I�m lucky enough to have a spare 5 minutes here and there to do mock ups of what�s on my mind. So rather than starting a new thread for each different idea that I have � I�ll just post them all here. Feel free to add your own or drop a comment on the things you like or dislike. Some of them will be better than others but hopefully we can bounce some good ideas around.
    06-12-13 08:59 PM
    Actionable Notifications - Quick Reply

This idea came to me a few weeks back. It�s based on Don Lindsay (Vice President of User Experience) acknowledging that there needs to be a better way to directly respond to notifications in BB10.

My idea is to add more functionality to the swipe up gesture. Currently a swipe up will allow you to peek into your notifications. You can then continue that gesture to the right and enter the Hub where you can then view the message previews. What I�m suggesting is shortening that procedure by incorporating the message previews into the upwards swipe.

STAGE 1 � You start the upwards gesture to start minimizing the app.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-1-swipe.jpg

STAGE 2 � Continuing the gesture further minimizes the app.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-2-swipe-fully-minimized-active-frame.jpg

STAGE 3 � Continuing to swipe up even further will initiate the drop down shade (containing the 4 most recent notification previews from your Hub).

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-3-swipe-swipe-beyond-half-way-initiate-drop-down-message-tray.jpg

STAGE 4 � The higher you swipe up the further down the drop shade will travel (until all 4 notifications are shown). This action would be fully reversible. If the notification previews aren�t of interest then you can reverse the gesture and the drop down previews will scroll back up out of view � and you�d be back into your full screen app.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-4-swipe-continue-swipe-complete-drop-down-animation.jpg

STAGE 5 � Drop down animation is completed when all 4 notification previews are shown. The previews then become actionable (just as they would be in the Hub).

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-5-swipe-drop-down-animation-complete.jpg

STAGE 6 � Continue swiping up into the preview area to action a notification of interest. Swiping up and leaving your thumb on the notification of interest (for a pre-set amount of time) will invoke the message full screen.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-6-swipe-continue-swipe-long-press-message-requiring-action.jpg

STAGE 7 � Full screen message is invoked after a long hold on the notification of interest.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-7-relevant-message-begins-slide-right.jpg

STAGE 8 � Message continues to slide into view.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-8-message-invocation-animation-screen-fade.jpg

STAGE 9 � Animation is complete and full screen message is presented � where you can either dismiss it or action it directly from the invocation card.

My illustrated UI suggestions for BB10-stage-9-message-fully-invoked.jpg

What do you think - Is it something you can see yourself making use of? Are there any obvious flaws that you can see in its implementation?
    06-12-13 09:14 PM
    Seems a bit much to me personally. However, I would support swiping up and to the left to bring up the phone.

So up and to the right brings up the hub
    Up and to the left brings up the phone app

This takes care of people's desire to have a quick dial option from within any app.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-12-13 09:40 PM
    It's a good idea but as the above poster said, a bit complex for the average user.

Personally, I would be more than happy if there was an option included in the hub settings to switch from "where-you-left-off" to the top level of the hub. That would definitely solve 50% of the complaints I have with the OS.
    06-12-13 09:59 PM
    That's a great idea Mr_F. I'm looking forward to seeing where the future os updates take us and if your idea makes it, I'll remember where I saw it first.
    06-12-13 10:01 PM
    It's a good idea but as the above poster said, a bit complex for the average user.

Personally, I would be more than happy if there was an option included in the hub settings to switch from "where-you-left-off" to the top level of the hub. That would definitely solve 50% of the complaints I have with the OS.

Where are you seeing the complexity? It's the same smooth gesture (as it is now) - with the added benefit of being able to see message previews without having to swipe right into the Hub.

I'd like to see the Hub returning to the top level as well but it doesn't solve the 'problem' of needing a way to respond to notifications more quickly.
    06-12-13 10:52 PM
    That's a great idea Mr_F. I'm looking forward to seeing where the future os updates take us and if your idea makes it, I'll remember where I saw it first.
    Thanks - I fully agree, the OS has so much potential. I think it will be pretty interesting to see how it all develops over the next year or so.
    06-12-13 10:56 PM